Ownership Verified: Two Wheeled Bliss ['99 Honda VFR800]

So trouble in paradise, had a coolant leak (there was dried coolant all over the inside of the right fairing), bike hit 270? (why is my right leg so warm?) in traffic a couple weeks back and it's been off the road since the end of April as I've been stock piling parts for it.

And we've been busy. I've added SW-Motech side racks and mostly installed R&G frame sliders in the meantime. My wallet is still in pain :p

Currently, Spectre and I are in the process of a full teardown and rebuild of coolant system as well replacing the notorious thermostat. Also doing an oil change and chucking the awful K&N airfilter in it for a stock one.

Naked Viffer
Wr3SN0y.jpg

Under the tank
HMZKpSt.jpg

Water pump and coolant hoses
wisYGQ2.jpg

kM2BL2m.jpg

About to yank the throttle bodies
EiouzPx.jpg

Gross mass bug grave in the V :p
bgJ32Rk.jpg

Dremeling corrosion off (you can barely see the flying calcium)
Nk86cJd.jpg

How I left it yesterday
Dk55h3q.jpg

...with two more hoses coming in. Hoping I can get it done soon.

Last edited:
And I've already tested the frame sliders with my first derp by falling over at 0mph because I thought I dropped the sidestand :lol:

I like to call that a man fall. :p

Nice thread going. Just curious, how much did you pick up this machine for? If you dont wanna post it, please PM me. Just curious!!!

I like to call that a man fall. :p

Not how I felt at the time :lol:

Nice thread going. Just curious, how much did you pick up this machine for? If you dont wanna post it, please PM me. Just curious!!!

I paid $2k for it, better bikes with lower mileage are in the $3k range usually.

This is the exact model of VFR I am looking at :D You are a luck man! :D

I know, I feel it everyday!

Although I did have $40 worth of bolts rattle out because I didn't torque them down enough. Don't let these bolts get loose. Ever :p
LN9Rxv7.jpg

Last edited:
Another happy update from the VFR camp :D

Went up to Norman, Oklahoma for a friend's wedding on the bike and got to pretend I was the handsome rogue crashing the wedding :lol:

Needless to say, I'm hooked on touring and enjoyed it thoroughly, despite temperatures cresting 100*.

I can wholeheartedly recommend my gear, the Olympia Stealth Suit, HJC CL-SP, A* SP1 gloves, Sidi Vertigos, and the newest addition for their first summer season with me: the Forcefield Pro Sub-4 back protector/chest protector. I figured I'd melt, but on the highways and even in some traffic, it wasn't bad.

0XAphEM.jpg

:)

Rode again today as the BMW is in Spectre's possession and received an oil change this weekend.

Also had my first real rainy ride this evening, again bike was great, perfectly well-behaved. I can also recommend the RS Taichi "Rainbuster" suit. Not a drop got by, even at ~70 mph and getting sprayed by trucks. So, of course, I had to treat it to a much needed chain cleaning and gave it a once over with Honda spray polish.

Blech
yftiggm.jpg

WBCUDDG.jpg

Shitty iPhone camera thinks my VFR is pink :lol:
ITt5U0s.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Looks like you've got it well sorted now. There will be some rides for sure when I get back.

Beware of that touring bug though, you never know where it will take you :p

Nice! Looks like you've got it well sorted now. There will be some rides for sure when I get back.

Beware of that touring bug though, you never know where it will take you :p

Yup, I'm thoroughly screwed now. :p

My hankering to roadtrip out to Laguna Seca and catch a MotoGP race has intensified.

HANKERING INTENSIFIES

Touring is where the real fun in motorcycling is. I'm planning on taking the Vulcan on a trek (huehuehue) to Ireland next month. :cool:

Nice to hear about the Olympia Stealth Suit working well. Touring is certainly a bug!!

Hm, though the pink VFR certainly gives me ideas for a prank. *muahaha*

Touring is where the real fun in motorcycling is. I'm planning on taking the Vulcan on a trek (huehuehue) to Ireland next month. :cool:

So jelly. Current heat level is approaching, as Coco would say, "BALLS."

Nice to hear about the Olympia Stealth Suit working well. Touring is certainly a bug!!

Hm, though the pink VFR certainly gives me ideas for a prank. *muahaha*

Vinyl is cheap :D

Its insane how many miles the VFR has. Is it only the VRF that can go that many miles or can the CBR600/1000 go that many miles too?

The guy with that CBR is on my 919 forum. :D

We're still waiting to find out how long a Honda 919 engine or even the parent CBR900RR engine will last because they're known to go more than 300,000 miles. Motorcyclist did an article years ago on some pretty badly beat 900RR that had 324K on it when they wrote the article and reportedly the bike was still running half a decade later.

Someone had their 919 get minivanned at about 75K and they took apart the motor. The engine hadn't even worn in yet.

We're still waiting to find out how far a Honda Pacific Coast can go. At last report it was at least 180,000 miles, but that was only because the bike got minivanned. In fact, every time someone gets a PC800 well up there in mileage, someone comes along and minivans it, so we might be waiting a while.

It's not just the big bikes either. There's guys running around with 200,000 mile CB250s (the little parallel twins) and 125,000 mile CB125s.

Want a bike that lasts? Buy a Honda. The old joke about 50K being just break-in mileage for a Honda isn't really a joke at all.

Last edited:
Ordered a Zero Gravity Double Bubble Dark Smoke windscreen today since my stock one is peppered with so many rock chips and cracks. I've also got a Drift Ghost camera on the way so I can record myself blipping the throttle and giggling like a schoolgirl.

Here's what the windscreen should look like:

4zdE2eY.jpg

I've read that the double bubble design reduces buffeting a lot, so I'm looking forward to mounting it up.

I had bought the same Double Bubble windscreen for the Blind's VFR800 a few years ago. You can ask him on the before and after (I've only started riding the VFR after we've installed the windscreen), but so far, no buffeting here. :)