Ownership Verified: Two Wheeled Turd [1981 Suzuki GS850G]

Der Stig

Panda Proselytizer
DONOR
Car(s)
Furrin Crap
Here it is in all its glory! A 1981 brown Suzuki GS850G. 843cc of meh, with poor suspension and brakes, only 77hp, but equipped with shaft drive. These bikes are often used as drag bikes due to their very sturdy frame. The thing weighs 617lbs. So, yeah, more than 4 times what I weigh :lol:

These bikes have a cult following and there's a healthy forum community for the GS series.

Spectre's graciously handled everything for me so far. We've got a box of parts for it and a few parts on the way.

A crisp C-note saw this, along with its title (yay) into its new home.

At the seller's
YnUQ6.jpg

Boxes o' bits
Ej8pp.jpg

44dDf.jpg

Getting into the hippy plow
d4bql.jpg

ikpPL.jpg

Behold the "high tech" gauges!
vHFva.jpg

More details
Jvef9.jpg

8PHHH.jpg

hbx2H.jpg

3rILW.jpg

aHuZv.jpg

Oh God, Why-ring
fPCzs.jpg

ZwWdN.jpg

JDM NOS switch
3xIFX.jpg

Spectre: "I am never unloading this by myself again." Got it :p
QWkgk.jpg

fQTaR.jpg

1MqNc.jpg

CZTUs.jpg

As it sits now
Q627G.jpg

It needs a lot of work, but this project is already on the way to being finished.

So far, Spectre has found a seat and headlight and I've ordered some combination mirror/indicators.

Mirrors
Universal_Motorcycle_mirrors_Motorcycle_Integrated_Turn_Signals.jpg

Headlight
m3INz.jpg

Suzuki doesn't know what drainage is
ZJLJt.jpg

Stay tuned for updates!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm gonna guess that it needs the usual, fluids changed (engine oil, final drive oil, fork oil) The carbs gone through, the brakes gone through and new rubber, right?

One of the things I love about bikes of this vintage is all the aluminum/alloy bits. I mean sure the bike doesn't look that great, but you'd be surprised, with a little bit of polishing compound, and a whole lotta elbow grease, that thing can shine like a new penny!

He needs to fix some of the pictures, I think. :p

He did that to symbolizes the work that needs to be done to the bike. :p

So I'm gonna guess that it needs the usual, fluids changed (engine oil, final drive oil, fork oil) The carbs gone through, the brakes gone through and new rubber, right?

One of the things I love about bikes of this vintage is all the aluminum/alloy bits. I mean sure the bike doesn't look that great, but you'd be surprised, with a little bit of polishing compound, and a whole lotta elbow grease, that thing can shine like a new penny!

It'll need just about everything. The tank will need to be replaced, too. Note the nastiness on the bottom. PO said "Make a video of it, if you get it running." He was flummoxed by the fancy electrics :p

He needs to fix some of the pictures, I think. :p

He did that to symbolizes the work that needs to be done to the bike. :p

:lol: Pictures fixed.

If you find out that you're in over your head, I know where you can get a pair of 700sc's for free.....

Also, transportation might be a problem :p

Especially because one of them is on it's side, at the bottom of a muddy (and partially snow-covered) hill.

They'd be mine if I didn't have this 650 project, but they may be considered once I'm done with it.

That's about the condition my 1980 Yamaha XJ650 was in when I got it only your instruments are much, much more advanced than mine were. Hell, mine didn't even have a neutral light!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this bike progresses.

It?s a 4 cylinder, so we all know it will sound good too.
:thumbsup:

Here it is in all its glory! A 1981 brown Suzuki GS850G. 843cc of meh, with poor suspension and brakes, only 77hp, but equipped with shaft drive. These bikes are often used as drag bikes due to their very sturdy frame. The thing weighs 617lbs. So, yeah, more than 4 times what I weigh :lol:
IIRC they've got roller-bearings on the crank. Big, tough bikes all the way around. $100 and a title? I'd make that deal.

Surprised that 2x isn't warped now. :lol:

It?s a 4 cylinder, so we all know it will sound good too.
:thumbsup:
Yeah, big old 4's sounds especially good.

Nice! I'm glad to see you're still working on this thing.

Don't worry about the ugliness of the tank, though. My nighthawk went from shitty to presentable after a few rattle cans.

I paid a visit to Spectre's to strip down my McDonald's racer project and set to work.

I began by removing the tank and attempting to remove the handlebars (mission failed for now, stripped screws on the cover)

Here's the tank. I can't see why it's so bad. :dunno:
32d08718.jpg

Let's get a closer look. Hmm...
bfc7bd6c.jpg

How about the undersi-wait, what the hell is that?
84f82a75.jpg

Yup, that's not supposed to look like that :p
a4e1447e.jpg

Fortunately, the carbs looked much better and I took those off, too. Here's my Craigslist-approved intake covering, featuring old wasp's nests.
36865a41.jpg

Oh yeah, one of the rubber sleeves on the intakes was half-JB Weld.

The bike as it sits.
7b1441e5.jpg

0730ea1b.jpg

I brought some stuff home for cleaning.

b4bf9b12.jpg

That, kids, is how you pack a tank into a trunk. :D

That old tank looked nastay.

All those bits that need to be cleaned should keep ya busy though, hope you like the smell of pine-sol! :lol:

One more thing, you call it the McDonald's racer. You know that McDonald's now has the McCafe line-up of beverages, right?

Doesn't that make it a cafe racer now?

Just FYI, the entire bottom of the tank that came with it appeared to be made of JB Weld. Some of the wiring (more than what's in the pictures above) is held together with wire nuts.

Yup, someone's getting an education. :D

Last edited: