Ubuntu Edge

Psirus

Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, has started a crowdfunding campaign to fund the production of their first (only?) smartphone. So far, they are not specific about the specs:
We?ll choose the fastest available multi-core processor, at least 4GB of RAM and a massive 128GB of storage. The battery will use silicon-anode technology [...]
Apparently, the big selling point is the idea that you can plug it into a docking station / connect to a monitor via HDMI, and can then use it as a normal computer with the standard Ubuntu desktop OS. I like the idea, but I don't have the money to give it a try.
Also, I'm not sure they'll be able to reach their monetary goal, but we'll see.
Couple of pictures:
edge-1.jpg

ui-3.jpg

I'm tempted.. But 800$ is a lot for a phone with no known history and reviews..

if they aim to go with the "fastest available processor", why do they stick with a 1280x720 display? for flagship phones, full-HD seems to be standard now, no?

all in all: big meh, not for me. too expensive, too much uncertainty, too niche-y :dunno:

if they aim to go with the "fastest available processor", why do they stick with a 1280x720 display? for flagship phones, full-HD seems to be standard now, no?

all in all: big meh, not for me. too expensive, too much uncertainty, too niche-y :dunno:

We also believe the race for ever higher resolution has become a distraction. Beyond 300ppi you?re adding overhead rather than improving display clarity. We think colour, brightness and dynamic range are now the edge of invention so we?ll choose a display for its balance of resolution, dynamic range and colour accuracy.

Sounds interesting. And I wouldn't be surprised if this would be the future. You have one device, your phone, and there will be displays with docks to suit every need.

Sounds interesting. And I wouldn't be surprised if this would be the future. You have one device, your phone, and there will be displays with docks to suit every need.

Doubt it, look at how well convergence worked out for MS with Win 8. (hint: it didn't). While phones certainly have enough power to be a daily desktop what works on desktop just doesn't work on the phone and vice versa. You'd end up with two different interfaces and applications.

Beyond that Ubuntu is just not a good enough OS to spend that kind of money on.

Doubt it, look at how well convergence worked out for MS with Win 8. (hint: it didn't).

MS also failed horribly at bringing tablets to market, but they took off with iOS and Android. Just means that 1) MS tried too early, before the hardware was ready (again), 2) MS isn't very good at making mobile operating systems, or 3) both. :p

You can also say that MS tried too early AND too late.

MS also failed horribly at bringing tablets to market, but they took off with iOS and Android. Just means that 1) MS tried too early, before the hardware was ready (again), 2) MS isn't very good at making mobile operating systems, or 3) both. :p
MS tried to bring tablets before they were ready to be tablets, I can't say Android tablets really took off considering their pathetic numbers in the tablet space. They also completely failed at taking into account that a touch interface cannot be a desktop.

- - - Updated - - -

You can also say that MS tried too early AND too late.

Hehe