Group C: Man Utd, Benfica, Basel, Otelul Galati

Group D: Real Madrid, Lyon, Ajax, Dinamo Zagreb

Group E: Chelsea, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen,Genk

Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Olympiakos, Borussia Dortmund

Group G: FC Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, Zenit, Apoel FC

Group H: Barcelona, AC Milan, BATE Borisov, Viktoria Plzen

Good luck to all your teams.

:thumbsup:

TBH, I've shit on Arsenal an awful lot this year both here and on Twitter...

but I feel we can at least get out of our group. I don't feel we have a deep, deep run in us, but we may see something materialize.

Also, I Man U pact with devil easy group blah blah blah (Cliche and true). The Bayern/Man City group should be the most fun to watch.

TBH, I've shit on Arsenal an awful lot this year both here and on Twitter...

but I feel we can at least get out of our group. I don't feel we have a deep, deep run in us, but we may see something materialize.

Also, I Man U pact with devil easy group blah blah blah (Cliche and true). The Bayern/Man City group should be the most fun to watch.

The way they put conditions on who can draw who makes it almost inevitable for the big clubs to get a good draw. Barca may have got Milan but because of that they ended up with two whipping boys in their group.

EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP STAGE DRAW

Group A: Spurs, Rubin Kazan, PAOK Salonika, Shamrock Rovers

Group B: FC Copenhagen, Standard Liege, Hannover, Vorskla Poltava

Group C: PSV Eindhoven, Hapoel Tel-Aviv, Rapid Bucharest, Legia Warsaw

Group D: Sporting Lisbon, Lazio, FC Zurich, FC Vaslui

Group E: Dynamo Kiev, Besiktas, Stoke, Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Group F: Paris St Germain, Athletic Bilbao, Salzburg, Slovan Bratislava

Group G: AZ Alkmaar, Metalist Kharkiv, Austria Vienna, Malmo

Group H: Braga, Club Brugge, Birmingham City, Maribor

Group I: Atletico Madrid, Udinese, Rennes, Sion

Group J: Schalke, Steaua Bucharest, Maccabi Haifa, AEK Larnaca

Group K: FC Twente, Fulham, Odense, Wisla Krakow

Group L: Anderlecht, AEK Athens, Lokomotiv Moscow, Sturm Graz

OK, so this year I will only post the group results on those with English teams, unleass anyone wants me to add others containing their teams. This should cut down the size of results posts on Thursday nights.

Groups A, E, H and K.

Good luck to all your teams.

:)

With City in basket 3 and BVB in basket 4 in the draw, we were guaranteed some pretty exciting groups. A and F are excellent. E and G might be hard to predict as well. The UEL groups are a little less exciting, A is alright and group I looks pretty tough with Atletico, Udinese and Rennes in the same group.

Celtic got into UEL after all since some of the Sion (who took them out earlier) players were found out to have been ineligible for the competition. Group I looks pretty awesome, Atletico, Udinese, Rennes and Celtic in the same group.

Champions League
Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Apoel Nicosia 2-1 Zenit St Petersburg
Barcelona 2-2 AC Milan
Borussia Dortmund 1-1 Arsenal
Chelsea 2-0 Bayer Leverkusen

FC Porto 2-1 Shakhtar Donetsk
Genk 0-0 Valencia
Olympiakos 0-1 Marseille
Plzen 1-1 BATE Borisov

A handy away draw for Arsenal, they were ahead for half the game and just got caught at the end. Chelsea got a good home win, always best to start with a win.

I will have to check RT to see the Zenit loss, what happend there?

Barcelona seemed to get rather complacent when they got ahead. Sometimes they need to stay focused and get a more comfortable lead. Comepletely undeserved point for Milan, but that's football for ya :p

Crap, haven't really been paying attention, but we can't really start a thread like this without the theme song!
So better late than never.

My hair on my arm always stand up when I hear it on a tuesday or wednesday night. Really sets the mood for hopefully an epic game of good football amoung europes best teams!

Here I was hopeing for an epic United game, instead I got a shit one! Although considering the squad we put out on the pitch I guess I was hopeing for a bit too much. Too many of them were put on to gain some match fitness. Ended up with no flow in the game:(

Champions League
Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Ajax 0-0 Lyon
Basle 2-1 SC Otelul Galati
Benfica 1-1 Man Utd
Dinamo Zagreb 0-1 Real Madrid

Inter Milan 0-1 Trabzonspor
Lille 2-2 CSKA Moscow
Man City 1-1 Napoli
Villarreal 0-2 Bayern Munich

An away draw for Man U is not great, but not so bad in a shit game, see TobiasG above. A home draw for Man C is not so good, but not terrible.

As a Dane I was quite pleased with Anders Lindegaard' performance in the United goal :) Very confident with some great saves. And with the unsecure start De Gea has had, one can hope he might be able to challenge for the number 1 spot :p

Man Utd did a job of work, and the keeper was good I agree. Man Utd could put out the second or even third team in their remaining matches and still qualify. They just know how to do the Euro stuff.

Oh dear Man City - get your act together, its not like you do not have the skill now is it?

I wouldn't call the Benfica-United game shit. It was always going to be a cagey affair and I think on the whole 1-1 was a fair result. SAF had half an eye on Chelsea at the weekend and I wouldn't question his approach after all the success he has had (bar why the fuck didn't you buy Nasri in the summer?) I think he got the tactics right.

Awesome goal from Giggsy and a great performance from Lindegaard who certainly wasn't to blame for Benfica's goal.

You got some good points MWF, but I was still a bit dissapointed. I expected a bit more energy from those who started. This game was a really good opportunity to show that they still got what it takes to be on the first team. And now im thinking specifically on Carrick and Fletcher. But they didn't really shine yesterday and that was a physical game were they could really shine. But then again, as I said earlier, they need some match fitness to get there. Hopefully thats all they need

An away point against your strongest rival in the group is a good result whichever way you cut it.

Great game tonight at St Andrews. It's really good to be a Blues fan this season and have no particular hopes or expectations, and just enjoy the football - which is more exciting than last season, with the exception of our Carling Cup games. Braga outclassed Blues but the home side gave it a good go!

Now to queue up all weekend to try and get away tickets for Slovenia. Hooray... :/

Too many interesting games on Wednesday, couldn't really decide what to watch so I ended up swapping streams and didn't really see much of anything after all. Napoli was surprisingly good and Bayern was excellent as they've been in Bundesliga. So I'm assuming Bayern and City/Napoli will advance, Villarreal hasn't impressed so far this season. Inter's horrible form and CSKAs away point to Lille are making group B pretty exciting as well, looking forward to Lille - Inter in October. Bayern - City/Napoli - Villarreal and Valencia - Chelsea/Marseille - Dortmund going to be the highlights of the next matchdays in two weeks.

In UEL Udinese beat Rennes 2-1 at home tonight, although I'd say Rennes was the better side. Atletico beat Celtic 2-0 but Celtic wasn't too bad from what I read so can't make any predictions about that group yet, exciting nonetheless.

Last edited: