UCL 2012/13 Thread - UEFA Champions League

Bayern are very good. I think they'll be too much for Arsenal. I think it'll be a good game though, and let's wait and see, maybe Wenger makes some fantastic signing in January ;)

Real Madrid - United.. That's pretty open, Real Madrid should be favourites, but in their current condition.. There's quite some time till the games will be played, obviously, but Real Madrid are not as strong as they should be this season. There's definitely opportunities for United.

Barcelona - Milan, well, Milan are not what they used to be. Barcelona should take this one with relative ease.

Also, I hope Dortmund completely and utterly destroys Shaktar, after what Shaktar did in Nordsj?lland. Douchebags.

Not impressed with Real. United could have won tonight with a bit more precision.

UEFA Champions League - Round of 16

Tuesday 12th February 2013
Celtic 0-3 Juventus
Valencia 1-2 Paris SG

Wednesday 13th February 2013

Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester United
Shakhtar Donetsk 2-2 Borussia Dortmund

Beckham's new club has a good start and gets an away win.

:cool:

Intense game in Madrid. Very entertaining :) Could've gone either way, Van Persie probably should have put one away. On the other hand, that was quite a fantastic save De Gea had early on, just getting his fingers on a shot from Coentrao.

Hard fought but fair game - except for the two yellow cards Ramos was responsible for "producing". Come on man, that shit is so annoying to watch.

A bit weird that United didn't get their last corner, the extra seconds of time could've been easily justified. Apparently it's a German thing, blowing the whistle on the excact time :p

In any case, the game at Old Trafford is going to be magnificent.

I was really hoping that Dortmund would have won though..

* snip Real & United match report *

I was really hoping that Dortmund would have won though..

There was a tragedy before the match:

BBC News - Five killed as plane crash-lands in eastern Ukraine

BBC News said:
At least five people were killed when a plane carrying football fans attempted an emergency landing and caught fire in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk.

The Antonov AN-24 plane was on an internal charter flight from the Black Sea resort of Odessa, with more than 40 people on board.

The twin-engine turboprop was carrying supporters travelling to a Champions League football match in the city, between Shakhtar Donetsk and Germany's Borussia Dortmund.

A minute's silence was held before the game which ended in a 2-2 draw.

Very sad for the people's families. :sad:

Tuesday 19th February 2013

Arsenal 1-3 Bayern Munich
FC Porto 1-0 Malaga

Wednesday 20th February 2013

AC Milan 2-0 Barcelona
Galatasaray 1-1 Schalke 04

Barca will probably be alright, but Arsenal won't. Playing with no defence in the UCL doesn't work. I wonder if Arsene will leave, if not I hope he really gets a new defence coach and quickly. Every team that plays against them fancies their chances of scoring, even lower league clubs in domestic cup competitions.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: I should also add that Bayern were very good and easily deserved the win.

I can't belive it. Stunned

Not so much stunned as livid. Nani had his eye on the ball and that wasn't even a bookable offence to many eyes let alone a red card. One of the best clashes in Champions' League history ruined by an idiot of a referee. I'm not saying that United would have won but we looked in control and I reckon we had a great chance. The sending off changed the whole complexion of the game and suddenly Real's tails were up. From how he reacted at the end of the game I think even Mourinho was embarrassed at the manner of the victory - he might be an arrogant twat but he wants to win fair and square.

No he doesn't, all EURO and Premiership Football is about winning at almost any cost. The stakes are so high - careers and money are to be made and lost and may Refs are easily fooled - see last night.

I agree that the actual event was called completely wrong by the ref. I'd have given a foul (Indirect) against the Real Madrid player for shoving himself into a dangerous situation.

Even I wanted MU to win. :( The foul could have gone either way, IMO.

Looking at replays you can see he has his eye on the ball the whole time, not once glancing over.

Last edited:
Tuesday 5th March 2013

Borussia Dortmund 3-0 Shakhtar Donetsk
(agg 5-2)

Man Utd 1-2 Real Madrid
(agg 2-3)

Wednesday 6th March 2013

Juventus 2-0 Celtic
(agg 5-0)

Paris SG 1-1 Valencia
(agg 3-2)

I had a strange feeling that Real would go through.

Pretty bad for all the English clubs this year, since Arsenal look unlikely to go through either.

Absolutely fantastic! Great game by Barcelona, best they've played in quite a while. Still not excactly a rock solid defence, but that doesn't really matter when the offence is playing like tonight ;)

Very, very happy, this was all I could have hoped for :D

Tuesday 12th March 2013

Barcelona 4-0 AC Milan
(agg 4-2)

Schalke 04 2-3 Galatasaray
(agg 3-4)

Absolutely fantastic! Great game by Barcelona, best they've played in quite a while. Still not excactly a rock solid defence, but that doesn't really matter when the offence is playing like tonight ;)

Very, very happy, this was all I could have hoped for :D

Pretty well summed up!

Barca were awesome and looked like they were going to win the tie. They had the belief that they could do it.

The Galatasaray win was also very exciting, unless you were a Shalke fan.

Two great ties in the Champions League.

:smile:

Burak Yilmaz' goal for Gala was pretty awesome. Quite a finish to make when under so much pressure!

2 goals from the (real) best player in the world, Bar?a had it from the get go. I thought they'd struggle a bit more and it'd go to a dramatic scenario where it was 3-1, but Milan decided to not show up to play yesterday.

If Nani hadn't been wrongly sent off you probably wouldn't have that smile on your face. Madrid was losing that match clearly.

If Nani hadn't been wrongly sent off you probably wouldn't have that smile on your face. Madrid was losing that match clearly.

:mrgreen:

Cristiano is playing at amazing level, including some stellar performances against the (real) best player in the world team :mrgreen:

If I were portuguese I would certainly be proud of him. :cool:

Last edited: