UCL 2012/13 Thread - UEFA Champions League

Damnit. I wanted that to go through extra time and penalty shootout and with some red cards for key players of the winning team. :D

BVB!! Love how young and energetic they are, and of course they have 3 Polish players so I'm biased ;) :p

Tuesday 30th April 2013
UEFA Champions League - Semi-Finals

Real Madrid 2-0 Bor Dortmund
(agg 3-4)

Wednesday 1st May 2013

Barcelona 0-3 Bayern Munich
(agg 0-7)

Well done to Dortmund & Bayern! :bow:
What a overall result, Bayern win 7 - 0 on aggregate. What?

That's got to be the biggest SF win score for a long time!

No Puyol again, is the Barca defence really sooooo bad without him?

Of course you wanted that, you greedy dortmundian basterd :p.

Looking forward to the finals!

:lol:

Now, now - play nice and enjoy the final at Wembley!

:smile:

A German team will lose in England.

The universe will implode!

Either that or space time will fold in on itself and we will all find ourselves in 1966 driving unreliable cars and listening to Beatles. :barf:

And Capt 70s will still be out of style.

The problem with Barca is that they try to play the ball through the center of the pitch too much. What Bayern and Dortmund do so well is being able to play quickly, and using the full width of the pitch to their advantage with great wing play. Once a team gets into a defensive shell against Barca well it can be quite a boring. Just my take on it.

I'm not actually completely sure what Barcelona are missing anymore. Sometimes it seems like something more fundamental than anything a new defender and striker can solve. But I hope I'm wrong. All in all it's still been a good season, so it's not all bad :)

It's all downhill from here Buktu;)

I remember the 60's, (especially 1963, brrrrr) it was mostly horrible for someone my age - born 1955, too young for the fun too old for PUNKS later on. ...

I'm not actually completely sure what Barcelona are missing anymore. Sometimes it seems like something more fundamental than anything a new defender and striker can solve. But I hope I'm wrong. All in all it's still been a good season, so it's not all bad :)

It was barely Barcelona at all... Towards the end of the game, it was pretty much Barcelona B. The defense was not there from the start, Puyol, Mascherano, Jordi Alba... later on no Xavi or Iniesta, no Messi at all... Piqu? was a mess, Song was playing golf somewhere else in his mind. They gave up before the game even started. Focusing on the league I guess.

And sure it's only downhill when you're on the top, but I wouldn't count Bar?a out, ever.

Last edited:
It was a tense game, an even game, a fair game, and imo a deserving winner. Good game Dortmund, good game.

Happymode enganged.

That was a great game... Full of chances and both goalkeepers busy all night long. I am not sure the best team won, it could have gone either way. I think the foul that gave Borussia the penalty should have ended with a second yellow for the Bayern defender, things might have been different.

Either way, great match!

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win
Gary Lineker

Damnit. So close... :( :( :(

It was a fantastic match, alas the wrong team won. :(

Looking at the match itself, both teams would have deserved the win, and in the end, Bayern used their shots while Dortmund didn't manage to do just that, as usual (they missed to score one of their very good chances in the first 20 minutes). So, no complaining from me about an undeserved win.

the foul that gave Borussia the penalty should have ended with a second yellow for the Bayern defender
Indeed. That was a clear yellow-red. He kicked his opponent in the stomach!

On the other hand, while it mostly was a fair match, there were some unfair scenes which the ref ignored. Mostly Bayern players rehearsing The Dying Swan, and quite a few people at the place I was watching thought Rib?ry could have gotten a yellow-red too, but Lewandowski could have seen red for stepping on Alaba's (or Boateng's?) leg also.
All in all, for a Bayern - Dortmund match, it was not quite as heated as one could expect, but instead they played good football. :)

Saturday 25th May 2013
UEFA Champions League - Final

Bor Dortmund 1-2 Bayern Munich

Well done to Bayern. :cheers:

Gary Lineker

:lol:

The joke was directed toward the England National team to be fair, but still works here too.

Last edited:
The joke was directed toward the England National team to be fair, but still works here too.
@GaryLineker on Twitter on April 24th 2013 said:
A prediction; The final will be played by 22 men kicking a ball about for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans will win.
(Source)

But he was wrong. The Bavarians won, not the Germans...

Yeah, I know that of course, I just wanted to make clear that he did indeed reiterate it himself for this occasion. :)

The mighty juggernaught that is German football is rolling again - next season's Champions League will be interesting. Play up, play up and play the game. Eh?