UCL 2013/14 - Champions League Thread

Wenger moans about almost everything.

Though I do agree Robben isn't one of God's best.

Wednesday 12th March 2014
UEFA Champions League - Round of 16

Barcelona 2-1 Man City
(agg 4-1)

Paris St-Germain 2-1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen
(agg 6-1)

Well, the result was not a big surprise from Barcelona, goodbye Man City. :wave:
(Better achievement that in previous years, I think.)

PSG have had a good round, we'd better watch them next time. And I hope that Sami Hyppia doesn't loose his job or anything.

:smile:

Barcelona did well, showed that they've got the edge over City over two matches :) They could've won by a bigger margin yesterday with a bit of luck. Messi is getting close to his usual best, very good game from him last night :)

Hyypi?

Sorry. :unsure:

No, I do rtry to spell names correctly, but I don't think his name was ever spelt right in all the years he played here for Liverpool. (No dooh-dads over the letter a.)

Anyways, I hope he still has his job, he has had a few bad results in the DBL and now the UCL too and just looks worried.

Tuesday 18th March 2014
UEFA Champions League - Round of 16 (Second Leg)

Chelsea 2-0 Galatasaray
(agg 3-1)

Real Madrid 3-1 FC Schalke 04
(agg 9-2)

A very controlled performance from Chelsea against a Galatasaray side which didn't offer very much. Drogba could have got one, but his team didn't really help enough. The Chelsea fans gave him a warm welcome back, which was nice of them.

Gareth Bale was hoping for a night off, but got subbed on after only 8 mins.
Bale made three assists and Ronaldo scored two, but could have had three, four or more. Schalke did get an equaliser, but they knew it was hopeless really.

Madrid were only cruising - but my heavens Ronaldo is bloody brilliant - still he needs to get his shooting boots polished up a bit.

Terrible news for Jes?, one of the best young players in Europe. Luckily that utterly shite player from the Schalke Nullities didn't manage to injure anyone else, even though he tried it hard.

Last edited:
Wednesday 19th March 2014

UEFA Champions League - Round of 16

Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Zenit St Petersburg
(agg 5-4)

Man Utd 3-0 Olympiakos
(agg 3-2)

Well, that's a good result for Man U given their recent form problem. I am very pleased for them. So congrats to Matt & all the other Man U fans on FG.

I hope Dan will drop by later and tell us how Dortmund nearly made a mess of tonight, the BBC says lots of injuries to key players.

Anyway, well done to both your teams and I hope you don't get Real, Bayern or Barca in the QFs.

Terrible news for Jes?, one of the best young players in Europe. Luckily that utterly shite player from the Schalke Nullities didn't manage to injure anyone else, even though he tried it hard.

Yeah too bad, the TV didn't show the incident that much, but I saw he was stretchered off, then Bale went on. The other guy didn't get booked either.

:sad:

I hope Dan will drop by later and tell us how Dortmund nearly made a mess of tonight
Well... Borussia is far from their best these days. I have elaborated on that before an I don't want to repeat my ramblings. Suffice to say, they can't seem to so "easy". Today they played not bad, but they also had many really bad passes that were intercepted. After the match Kehl and Gro?kreutz complained about lack of support by the fans. They do have a point, but seeing how the players make simple mistakes, lots of them, I also understand that the fans in the stadium are displeased.
the BBC says lots of injuries to key players
Yes. G?ndogan, Bender, Reus, Kuba and Subotic were missing today. Three of those have long-term injuries, meaning that Borussia lacks the opportunity to give other players a rest from time to time. They are essentially playing with about 15 players the whole season. Lewandowski, Mikhitaryan, and Sahin have played basically every match so far, and that shows.
And today, Schmelzer got injured, too. Plus, Lewandowski will miss the first leg of the quarter final due to his yellow card tonight. Well, better the first leg than the second...

I hope you don't get Real, Bayern or Barca in the QFs
If Borussia doesn't improve (which they luckily and inexplainably do from time to time, especially in CL matches), they'll follow Leverkusen and Schalke - no matter which team they face.

It's feels completely absurd to say, but United seems to be the easiest draw of the next round... :p

The Quarter-finals:

• FC Barcelona - Atl?tico Madrid
  • Real Madrid - Borussia Dortmund
  • Paris St. Germain - Chelsea FC
  • Manchester United - FC Bayern M?nchen

Fuck. :( I had hoped for Atl?tico or one of the English clubs.

Prediction: Semi-final contestants will be FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Paris St. Germain and Bayern M?nchen.

Last edited:
That you were hoping for Atletico just shows the general quality of the remaining teams :) Atletico are not a pleasant opponent.

These are all very interesting games, looking forward to it :)

The Quarter-finals:

• Paris St. Germain - FC Chelsea

Prediction: Semi-final contestants will be FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Paris St. Germain and Bayern M?nchen.
Small point Chelsea are Chelsea FC and Never FC Chelsea.

The Quarter-finals:

• Paris St. Germain - Chelsea FC

Yeah, can't see United turning over Bayern in their current form. No replay of that night at the Nou Camp in '99 for Moyes' Boys that's for certain.

But then when you get down to the QFs of a competition like this there are no easy games.

And of course no Italian representation.

... and that I haven't seen them play in years, to be honest.

It's not a coincidence that Atletico are second in La Liga right now. Real Madrid beat them in the Copa del Rey, but neither Barca nor Real Madrid have been able to beat them in the league. Diego Simeone have made them and extremely well-organized team, they fight every minute of a match, and they're not afraid to play dirty if they have to. That, combined with the talents of guys like Diego Costa, Arda Turan and Koke makes them are very tough match-up.

Barcelona - Atletico can go either way.

Some people seem to believe that United will get absolutely crushed by Bayern. I'm not so sure.

Tuesday 1st April 2014

Barcelona 1-1 Atl?tico Madrid
Man Utd 1-1 Bayern Munich

Some people seem to believe that United will get absolutely crushed by Bayern. I'm not so sure.

A good, spirited and defensive performance by Man U, much better than other games this season. A result in which both teams would be reasonably satisfied with, despite Bayern's higher possesion, they do have an away goal.

Nice goals by both Vidic and Schweinsteiger, who was a bit unlucky to get a red card.
(Edit: And Valencia has also lucky to not get a red card, as well.)

Not classic Man U as they should be playing, but they are still in the QF. Bayern are still favourite for the SFs, but this being football, anything can happen.

EDIT:

A very promising result for Atl?tico Madrid and an outrageous goal by Diego. Nice reply from Neymar for Barca, made with a deft pass from Iniesta.

Barca will probably win overall, but Atl?tico must really fancy their chances to progress.

Last edited:
Wednesday 2nd April 2014

Paris St-Germain 3-1 Chelsea
Real Madrid 3-0 Borussia Dortmund

Hmmmm. :think:

Not a great result for Chelsea, but an away goal gives them a chance at the home match.

A more difficult task awaits Dortmund. (sorry Dan) :sad:

Last edited: