UCLA (university of california, los angeles) tazer incident

^Yes... the kid should have got in trouble for being a bonehead, but I just think the Taser shouldn't have been used, its just like using it as a torture weapon, the kid refuses to comply, you shoot him with a non-lethal weapon... its just the same as beating someone with a their baton if they refuse to comply until they do, since when was a cop allowed to do that? I'm not saying what the kid did was right, he should have gotten taken into custody as he was breaking the rules, but tasering the kid? There is no way that using it f-i-v-e times can be justified, even if the situation is as we discussed, the kid just falling on the ground to be a pain in the ass

New York State Universities have state police, dont know how it is in Cali. Its illegal to have those taser in our state; but you can get them, and most police dont use them. My friend shocked me with one of those and you can stand up after easily. I agree with Blind_Io, this was poor training on the part of the police. Now the crazy thing is i see about four cops, they should have just shocked him and then each grabbed a limb and ran out. I know it sounds like soviet black bag stuff, but it would have got them in and out. The way they went about it endangered them even more with those other students that might have got phyisical.

That's such a line of baloney. The show COPS just shows the more violent stuff that they think will be more interesting.

Generally if you get pulled over, especially at night, the officers get out of their car, stand behind their doors, guns ready in holsters and order you out of the car. Many officers have been killed on traffic stops as they walk up and are just shot through the window. So they order you out, search you and then give you your ticket.

Do university campuses need that much policing? My uni has a huge campus without any walls or borders and it seems to get by with a regular security guard patrol.

We have all those emergency contact booths though... you know those big blue things? I doubt anyone has ever used one at my school, seems safe enough. Although one time they did find a cadaver in a ravine... :blink:

Generally if you get pulled over, especially at night, the officers get out of their car, stand behind their doors, guns ready in holsters and order you out of the car. Many officers have been killed on traffic stops as they walk up and are just shot through the window. So they order you out, search you and then give you your ticket.

You seem to think you know a lot about the US without even living here. I live in the US and have been pulled over several times, at night too. Unfortunately, it's normally not as dramatic and adventurous as you describe. Sorry to let you down :p

You seem to think you know a lot about the US without even living here. I live in the US and have been pulled over several times, at night too. Unfortunately, it's normally not as dramatic and adventurous as you describe. Sorry to let you down :p

Usually the only thing that happens when u get pulled over at night is another officer if theres one nearby pulls up behind the first one. they only really do the gun thing when ure running away or suspected of doin something bad

^^I thought Janus was being Sarcarstic :lol:... but its not like you'll run very far, doesn't a cop have to call it in when he's doing a routine traffic stop?

and Shawn, its exactly the same at my uni as well, I believe we only have about 3 security guards on the whole campus (Although I bet my uni's campus is tiny compared to yours :lol:)

It seems wrong to me that police can pull you over for speeding and search your car for drugs without any real justification. Not that I'd ever have anything to hide, I just feel it's an unwarranted invasion of privacy. Especially since I'm younger, and therefore I'm automatically suspicious for being out late at night. :rolleyes:

Back to the original issue, I'm surprised there isn't more public outcry from these kinds of incidents. It's shocking to think that so many people go by not caring, until one day it gets to be too late. Now the government can play the trump card of national security to justify tougher actions. I've heard of a lot of things happening that would surely set off riots in other countries, yet there aren't even protests here. If its not happening to them personally, people just don't care.

Kinda off track, but all the talk about COPS made me remember this. I think it's funny on the high speed car chases how they always call the guy who's running a "suspect". It's like they're saying, "well we think this is the guy who's running from us, but we're not entirely sure.":p

It seems wrong to me that police can pull you over for speeding and search your car for drugs without any real justification. Not that I'd ever have anything to hide, I just feel it's an unwarranted invasion of privacy. Especially since I'm younger, and therefore I'm automatically suspicious for being out late at night. :rolleyes:

Well I have to say its called probable cause. Many people believe that the police officer is saying ?im going to search the car? they are asking you if they may. You may refuse consent to a search or talk with an officer if you want to preserve your rights. If something is in plain sight that constitutes probable cause for a search. The best thing to do when pulled over turn off your car, place the keys on the dash, and keep your hands in plain sight. If the officer feels a threat he or she will act on it to protect themselves. You might think but, I?m just a kid but its scared kids who pull guns. Produce ID act accordingly and take the ticket if anything other. Speak politely and clearly "I do not consent to this contact and I do not want to answer any questions. If I am not under arrest I would like to go now?.

^then how do they issue you a ticket if you won't talk to them? Issuing a ticket is not a offense, its simply an infringement so its not arresting you.

I may not live there, but I know people who do and I can tell you that it is largely dependant on who you are and what you are driving. If you are a white guy in a decent car you probably don't have much trouble, but I have African-American friends who are wealthy and drive luxury cars and have told me stories about when the police just decide to pull them over for no reason but because they think that an youngish African-American male driving a nice car must have stolen it or is a drug dealer etc. They take him out, cuff him, make him sit on the side of the road whilst they search him and the car. And if you refuse the search issue with a fine for something and can then search the car.

Now that is insane, just like the tazering. I can't honestly believe that some of you think that it is reasonable to treat an unarmed student who hadn't gotten violent like that because he got mad when you touched him after you kicked him out of the library.

WoW... i feel bad for the guy!

I was recently doing a paper on American freedom. I find no sign of freedom here whatsoever. But thats not the topic. I dont think they should've allowed such actions. There are two cops (i think) and if anything there is always "back-up" if the situation gets out of hand. I find no sign that gives a reason for tazering a student/individual for any purposes. That was just a very bad example of an average cop or a security gaurd.

If something like this was to happen in Canada, people would protest for the hell of it, or the media would be over this like its a world issue.

I'll have to find out more information on this case, but from what ive seen/heard thats assault!

Now that is insane, just like the tazering. I can't honestly believe that some of you think that it is reasonable to treat an unarmed student who hadn't gotten violent like that because he got mad when you touched him after you kicked him out of the library.

You need to read the thread more closely bud. Nobody is really supportive of the tazering. Even TomCat said "The cops went over-board with the taser".

Some friggin UCLA PD 20 something young cops who were stupid and didn't know better. The guy didn't die and he will most likely sue and get a boat load of money. I fail to see why this story keeps going on. It's over and it really didn't need that much coverage in the first place. What a fucking load of bullshit. Blown way the fuck out of proportion. I could find vids of white people being tazered if that would make anyone feel better..........but remember that usually does not make the news.

Last edited:
Some friggin UCLA PD 20 something young cops who were stupid and didn't know better. The guy didn't die and he will most likely sue and get a boat load of money. I fail to see why this story keeps going on. It's over and it really didn't need that much coverage in the first place. What a fucking load of bullshit. Blown way the fuck out of proportion. I could find vids of white people being tazered if that would make anyone feel better..........but remember that usually does not make the news.
First off, I can't stand comments and ideology about being "young and stupid". That's just as bad as racism and sexism. Secondly, this story needs to go on and actions need to be taken. If we let this incident slip, another one will happen, then another, and it will just keep going. It's a lot easier to stop isolated incidents than trying to change things when they become more accepted practice. The fact that this student is of Iranian descent is irrelevant here. The issue is the unnecessary use of excessive force.

First off, I can't stand comments and ideology about being "young and stupid". That's just as bad as racism and sexism. Secondly, this story needs to go on and actions need to be taken. If we let this incident slip, another one will happen, then another, and it will just keep going. It's a lot easier to stop isolated incidents than trying to change things when they become more accepted practice. The fact that this student is of Iranian descent is irrelevant here. The issue is the unnecessary use of excessive force.

Of course something will happen. As I said, getting sued, fired, criminal charges, etc. But still, why does this story need to make the rounds around the world? So some kid got tazered a few times? He didn't even die and it is still being talked about. I am really tired of the people who see this video as a representation of the United States as a whole. I could point out the fact that Iranian Americans on average make more money that other Americans. Or that there was just an Iranian themed festivale in South Florida. You catch my drift here?

I'd have to agree.

I was just reading that the main police officer in that video has a checkered past already. Apparently he shot a homeless man in one of the UCLA libraries a few years ago, was recommended for dismissal and subsequently given an office of the year award. Anyone have any info on the guy?

Also, I'm wondering about the fact that he yelled at the cops that he had a medical sitation. What would have happened if he had a pacemaker or something and died? What is police policy on an indivdual who claims they have a medical condition?

I was just reading that the main police officer in that video has a checkered past already. Apparently he shot a homeless man in one of the UCLA libraries a few years ago, was recommended for dismissal and subsequently given an office of the year award. Anyone have any info on the guy?

Also, I'm wondering about the fact that he yelled at the cops that he had a medical sitation. What would have happened if he had a pacemaker or something and died? What is police policy on an indivdual who claims they have a medical condition?

I think you can claim anything and the cops have to assume its true.

Well these cops didn't seem to care... I mean the student was probably lying about that get the cops off of him, but still, if he did have a condition that would not turn out very well.

I saw an interview with his lawyer who said he did in fact have a medical condition but he didn't say what.