UK Cops hate Honda Drivers, find excuse to blow one up in London

D

D-Fence

Michael Raphel, 28, left his ?18,000 red Honda Civic Type R on double yellow lines less than a quarter of a mile from Number 10.

But, fearing a potential terrorist attack, the Metropolitan Police carried out two controlled explosions after CCTV footage showed him running from the parked vehicle.

The force of the blast blew the doors off and smashed the windows, leaving the car wrecked.

Officers took the action at 10pm on November 7 - the day before a Remembrance Sunday Parade was due to take place - due to the 'sensitivity' of the area.

Mr Raphel, from Headington, Oxford, who was visiting London to celebrate a friend's birthday, said on Sunday he returned at 2am to find his burnt out car surrounded by anti-terrorism police.

He said: ''They said I had parked in a sensitive area, just around the corner from Number 10 Downing Street, and close to the Ministry of Defence.

''They explained that because I was seen running from the car, and because of the parades the next day, it had heightened their suspicions.

''When I got back to the car, the driver and passenger windows had been blown out and the bonnet and boot had come open with the force.

''We have laughed about it a bit now but I'm bit gutted to be honest.

''I know in this day and age they have to be suspicious but I didn't feel this was warranted.

''I wasn't treated badly, but they could've been a bit more tactful.

''The car was registered to me, I'm sure there are ways they could have contacted me if they had really tried to.''

The Metropolitan Police confirmed they carried out two controlled explosions on a vehicle parked in Horse Guard Avenue, Westminster at 10pm on November 7 but refused to comment further.

Mr Raphel, who owns a men's designer clothing store, said he would be seeking compensation from the police and an apology.

But a spokesman for insurance price comparison website confused.com said it is unlikely he will receive a payout for his car as he parked illegally.

Well, one way to deal with the ricers :p

Joke aside: Who actually needs terrorists when we have governments like this? "Oh a car! MUST BE TERRORIST! LET'S BLOW IT UP!"
Especially since any terrorist would probably a) not drive a red civic type r b) not run away from it.

Seriously UK, you are losing it.

Wow. So he is fucked by both the government and insurgence company.

"But a spokesman for insurance price comparison website confused.com said it is unlikely he will receive a payout for his car as he parked illegally."

I think that sums up what this amounts too..

The real problem is bastard insurers not bored policemen with excess explosives. I'd like to be legally entitled to blow up a Honda Civic and this is coming from someone who owns one.

You just know that people are going to take the mickey from this and walk away from their cars really slowly "to make sure the rozzers don;t blow my car up!". Reverse psychology also says that any potential bombers will do so too. Then cops will have to blow up cars where people walk away from them.

In short, we're all screwed :lol:

The insurance companies never pay in these circumstances anyway. The police will always compensate in cases like these.

People remember this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day_bombing

"The Remembrance Day bombing (also known as the Enniskillen bombing or Poppy Day massacre[1][2]) took place on 8 November 1987 in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Eleven people were killed when a Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) bomb exploded at the town's war memorial (cenotaph) during a Remembrance Sunday ceremony ? this was held to honour those who died serving the British military."

The Taliban et al could use the same tactics and Londoners, of a certain age at least, would be aware and not Park illegally near the cenotaph.

What ^ Cobol said, andDowning Street Mortar Attack 1991

The cops are very sensitive about certain areas around the capital, such as parliament, cenotaph, M15, MI6 buildings etc.

If you park illegally around there, you are liable for the anti-terrorist protocols by the cops. The guy either knew or he didn?t but must have left his car for some time for the cops to get set up with the robot that shoots the doors out.

No sympathy for the guy, cops did the right thing.

We take this stuff seriously in my city, since there is a long history and many deaths. :(

lulwut? Blowing up a potential terrorist car bomb is going to help you how?

because if you blow the bomb before it blows, then the blow of the bomb's blow, is blown away by the blow of the blow of the bomb. which means, there is no blow at all as it's all blown away.

That must blow...

Poor Type R!!! :cry::cry:

I only hope that the poor thing had been riced to hell and deserved a (controlled) explosive end!

Still, really, although it sounds a little extreme, as others have already mentioned: the location, the timing, the context and running away from the car. Of course it's gonna look sus! :wall:

No sympathy for the guy, cops did the right thing.

Hang on, how is blowing up someone's car an appropriate solution? Couldn't the police just tow it to a safe police parking lot?

Also, if the car was already rigged with explosives, wouldn't blowing it up on purpose by police trigger even a larger explosion and thus contribute to the "suspected" terrorist plot?

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but this doesn't make any sense.

Hang on, how is blowing up someone's car an appropriate solution? Couldn't the police just tow it to a safe police parking lot?
No, by moving it they could have triggered the device.

Also, if the car was already rigged with explosives, wouldn't blowing it up on purpose by police trigger even a larger explosion?

IIRC, by blowing up the device they destroy the trigger mechanism, thus no big explosion.

edit. wiki!

Last edited: