UK Cops hate Honda Drivers, find excuse to blow one up in London

If it was the current model, it's all good. It's not a patch on the old models, they cheaped out on it.
If you want a Type R as good as it's predecessors, you have to buy the Mugen. Which is ?38,000 finest english pounds!

Hang on, how is blowing up someone's car an appropriate solution? Couldn't the police just tow it to a safe police parking lot?

No, by moving it they could have triggered the device.
Also, if the car was already rigged with explosives, wouldn't blowing it up on purpose by police trigger even a larger explosion and thus contribute to the "suspected" terrorist plot?

IIRC, by blowing up the device they destroy the trigger mechanism, thus no big explosion.

edit. wiki!
Thanks Karoug, this is correct.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but this doesn't make any sense.

You?re OK there and just asking for clarification. If you live in city without a terrorist threat, your cops can deal with illegally parked cars in a more normal way.
Sorry, we can?t do that here in London, too much history of things going bang. :(

This does sound a little extreme, but I can understand the security concerns. Better a dead Civic than dead citizens.

OK this makes sense now.

Note to self, don't illegally park in London.

I didn't think it was possible for a nation to be more paranoid (or at least told to be paranoid) of terrorists then the US.

Thanks Karoug, this is correct.

You?re OK there and just asking for clarification. If you live in city without a terrorist threat, your cops can deal with illegally parked cars in a more normal way.
Sorry, we can?t do that here in London, too much history of things going bang. :(

Ok, I guess given the circumstances and the history it makes more sense than at the first sight, but still pretty shocking. Bomb threat is also the reason why London doesn't have any public trash bins, right?

Ok, I guess given the circumstances and the history it makes more sense than at the first sight, but still pretty shocking. Bomb threat is also the reason
why London doesn't have any public trash bins, right?

Yes, there are no public trash bins in the *West End, Financial district, near Govt. buildings etc., etc., you got the picture.

It is very annoying, the councils do the best they can with mobile "man with a can", but it can look a bit messy in places at times.

Another price we have to pay. :(

* Out in the suburbs we do have trash cans in the street.

So I'm well aware that London has a colored history of terrorist attacks, but they also have a history of registering cars. Why couldn't they have just called the owner, or at least checked to see if it was stolen/improperly registered/etc., before blowing it up?

They get hijacked and the owner either killer and impersonated or held hostage and told what to say. These (the terrorists) people are not stupid.

They get hijacked and the owner either killer and impersonated or held hostage and told what to say. These (the terrorists) people are not stupid.
Well, I mean, you follow up said check with "hey, come get your car or we're going to blow it up".

You guys have pictures with your registrations, right? Assuming Joe Terrorist doesn't look exactly like the owner when he goes to pick it up, I'm pretty sure they'll figure it out.

^ Good question, but I don?t know what the policy is on that or what the process would be.
I will try and find out.
:)

IIRC, by blowing up the device they destroy the trigger mechanism, thus no big explosion.

Interesting I never knew that.

If you live in city without a terrorist threat, your cops can deal with illegally parked cars in a more normal way.

I did not realize London was this cautious. I'm still surprised that blow up the car is the first option though. Out of curiosity I wonder if things would have happened any differently if the guy hadn't ran away from his car.

Pictures are only on modern licences - I only got one to go to the states and hire a car.
But okay, you're missing the point. The point is that it's very feasible to summon someone to the car and have them move it... and, oh yeah, give them a ticket. If noone can be produced to move the car, then blow it up.

London was bombed for 29 plus years before anyone else in Europe. Do not worry about it we have the best anti terrorist Police in the world.

Besides being a rather dubious claim, what does that have to do with checking who owns a car before blowing it up?

I'm aware that one does not "fuck around with a car bomb", but if you'll set your nationalism aside for one second and listen to what I'm saying, what's stopping the "best anti-terrorist police in the world" from actually checking to see if something is a car bomb before treating it as such?

It's not like they're put in any danger to give the owner of the suspected car bomb a call and make them move their car. I mean if it's a fruitless call (owner says it's stolen, owner doesn't own it anymore, owner won't pick it up, etc.), then by all means, blow it up... but it's a trivial effort for the police to track down the owner of a car, so why not?

Perhaps - perhaps not, mistakes have been made = people have died, you can always buy a new car, you can not be re-incarnated - buddists excepted(?).

Do you live in a city with a constant threat of terrorism, explosions and sudden death? The Spanish surrendered after their horrors. We unfortunately do not now, nor ever will have that option.