• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

UK Elise vs US Elise

Z Draci

Lotus finally has a dealership in California so I went and check it out. It's in Hermosa Beach right on PCH (by all those nice private dealerships).

Their lot was full of about 15 US-spec Elises. They were all priced between $48-51k. It seems like the dealer markup is around $8000. There are only two options as of now--touring package and sport package. The touring package makes the ride more comfortable with added sound deadening, stereo, leather, electric windows, and full carpets. The sport package has lighter forged alloy wheels, special tyres, and "track tuned suspension."

Adding airbags, air-con, US-spec crash beams, etc. has made the Elise 891kg heavy. 0-60 is in 4.8 seconds.

The UK Elise Sport 190 is only 710kg. 0-60 is in 4.4 seconds.

So the weight difference is a gigantic 181kg or 400 pounds!!! (Even the Elise couldn't resist super-sized American meals and gained weight.) In a car like the Elise, 180kg is a whole world of difference.
For reference, my little 240Z is 1080kg--only a fat American passenger away from the US-spec Elise!

When I realised this, the Elise seemed less appealing to me. Yes, it's a mid-engined car with an aluminum spaceframe. But I wouldn't pay $50k for something I already have in my little 240Z?

I will have 250hp (w/ 300 ft-lbs torque) in a 1080kg car. I will also have the added response of a six cylinder engine.

So if you're an American thinking about buying an Elise, buy a 240Z instead. The Z will be more spartan than the leather clad, air conditioned, sound deadened American Elise. For the price of an American Elise, you can buy a very good 240Z and a very good Esprit--maybe this is what I should do.

Oh god, they've killed the Elise. 181kg weight gain?? Almost 900kg?? Seems like it's hardly an Elise anymore.

And don't get me started on the touring package... :no:

I knew they would ruin the car for fat Americanized versions...fuck. So now the car will be close to 960 with me in it :(...damn it.

It's still one of the lightest and smallest vehicles avaliable for the American market. England isn't burdened by soccer moms in Expeditions, at least not to the rate we have.

I'd love a 240Z, but seeing as they're as hard to get as a space shuttle compared to the Elise...

i test drove one here at a dealer
i liked it a lot, but very little room
to fully test it

also getting in and out is a bitch but
it adds to the experience ehhehe

our local dealer had about 1500 off
and 2300 off of certain cars...esp the
blue ones which i liked..
they were around 42k most of em...

i hate californians

bahnstormer said:
i hate californians

lol..complain complain.....be fortunate that they sent the Elise over here for sale. :think:

The car is still fast as hell...0.4 seconds loss to the corporate boys that will buy these in the states won't care. Hell..they won't even know what kind of car it is! :lol: The car is still wonderful, I wouldn't care about that weight gain, at least the prices are reasonable compare to what prices they give to cars like that.

Oh yea...I hate California too...in fact, I hate living in the U.S., I wanna go back to Germany where I felt at home, and belong! :thumbsup:

The opel speedster(turbo)\vauxhaul vx220 (turbo) would be a nice alternative, but i bet you guys don't get that either.

the elise was always about handling so this doesnt seem at all tragic to me, though i would still not like the added weight. and after seeing how a guy flogged his elise at about 85mph in a canyon road (cliff edge) i really didnt notice the difference. :p

Kip_6666 said:
The opel speedster(turbo)\vauxhaul vx220 (turbo) would be a nice alternative, but i bet you guys don't get that either.
Nope...only get the cars from the company who owns them :D

yeah i was in cali for like 2 weeks visiting a friend at school
the weather is perfect, the roads are great, etc

but the ppl ruin it...

the gas is pricey, nothing over 91 octance is avail, and they have
all these tough laws and regulations on cars...

all by the ppl...

=[

not sayin jersey is better or anything tho :lol:

Kip_6666 said:
Car and Driver tested the Speedster once, so that's gotta count for something. Americans won't accept any car that doesn't come standard with aircon, a radio, thickly padded seats, airbags, and about 400lbs. of placebo-inducing steel. We can't fit our fat "South Beach Diet" asses in it, so it's a no-show here.

BlaRo said:
Kip_6666 said:
Car and Driver tested the Speedster once, so that's gotta count for something. Americans won't accept any car that doesn't come standard with aircon, a radio, thickly padded seats, airbags, and about 400lbs. of placebo-inducing steel. We can't fit our fat "South Beach Diet" asses in it, so it's a no-show here.

It's the same car as the Elise, so if you get one, why not the other?
It's just that Opel or Vauxhall doesn't sell there...

C&D suggested it be sold as a Pontiac. Y'know, "Fuel for the Soul", "Action", "Driving Excitement", "Rebadged Chevys R'Us!" etc. Though Saturn's become America's Opel/Vauxhall, but that would be pointless because of the Sky/Solstice.

Edit: Don't forget, we Yanks should be thankful that the Exige is coming; even if it does have all that safety equipment it should be one helluva car.

Thank god they didn't make a hybrid version of it.

I'd still buy it, with the new option of removing the air con. :) The Elise is definately the sports car for me.........with the Saab 2.0L turbo slotted in the back that is. :D