UK vs. US Insurance Rates

Isn't the Integra one of the top-5 most stolen cars in the US?
6th now.

I really just have no idea how UK insurance rates are calculated, after watching this week's Top Gear.

Are insurance rates for youths in the UK astronomically higher than in the US? Kids in the off-forum thread where the genius paid ?10k for a ?3k Clio were tossing around yearly insurance quotes in the ?2500-?3500 range for cars like that awful 05 Clio and other relatively pedestrian machinery like various Fiestas.

What, 3000 pounds for a plain-jane Fiesta? That's crazy. I just used one of those online quote things for an 18 year old driving an R34 GT-R V-Spec in the town where I live and it was only about $3700AUD (never mind that they wouldn't be allowed to drive it because P platers can't drive turbo cars in this state).

What about third party insurance? I used to use third party on my old Pintara, it was $350 for the first year, then I changed companies and it was ~$200.

When I was 21, I was quoted $500 a year to insure (comprehensive) my old 4.0L Falcon.

Oh well, I currently only pay $60AUD a month for insurance. I might just pay for the whole year once my insurance comes up for renewal.

Last edited:
You often see in US tv shows, young kids turning up to school driving large engined and expensive cars and I just think 'how the hell can they insure that?' I always just assumed that insurance was unbelievably cheap in the US. I'm 19, 2 years no claims bonus and to insure my 1.6L Fiesta zetec s cost over ?900 this year. I'm in a terrible situation where all the cars I can afford to buy, I cant afford to insure (clio cup, mg zs etc) but all the cars I can afford to insure, I can't afford to buy (fabia vrs, panda 100hp). Oh to be 25 and no longer an insurance risk!

Chalk that up to the fact that they aren't paying for the insurance. Mommy and daddy are.

Last edited:
I got a quote for me, driving a Mercury Marauder, with a clean record, good grades, driver's ed, and defensive driving, of...

Wait for it...

$18,000 per 6 months.

I have a LOT of speading tickets on my record. So my insurance is pretty high.

Though when I went from a 2002 Acura RSX type S to my 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata, my insurance went down $400USD a year. That was a pleasent surprise.

I was shocked that they quoted me the same price for a regular MX-5 as the MazdaSpeed version. Maybe they are unaware the MazdaSpeed has a turbo strapped to it. :p

I'm gonna have to double-check, but I am fairly sure I pay more than $2000 a year for insurance as the sole driver of the car on my own plan.

My total 6 month premium for my minivan and Camaro is $328. $26-something for the minivan and $28-something for the V8 Camaro. I love being old.

*edit*
Fixed amounts.

Last edited: