Ultimate "Sleeper": 215 MPH Alfa 164

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=558399

I was thinking about this car the other day, remembering old issues of Autoweek I had from the 80's..Turns out theres tons of info on it..Back in the day, there was this planned racing spec series that was supposed to be ran alongside the f1 series. This series was supposed to be called ProCar and it was going to be a spec series of production "looking" cars with F1 car engine, chassis, and engineering. Basically if this thing went thorugh, it was going to be like DTM but the cars were F1 cars underneath a production sedan body, with no fender flares and only a front lip and rear wing added....The series never went through but Alfa Romeo stepped up and made this prototype along with Brabham. Its a 164 sedan body with a V10 F1 motor in the middile...The car looked exactly like a normal car, weven the body gaps and doors were made to look real even though you can remove the front clip and rear half as on piece.

164procar.jpg

20070806_ar164procar.jpg

164%20procar%20POSTERIORE.jpg

164%20i.jpg

procarsingle.jpg

pc4.jpg

Heres Ricardo Patrese mashing on it....Listen to that sound...Imagine throwing a Cali plate on it and rolling down the street with mufflers.....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p36U-ReVQO4[/YOUTUBE]

Better video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x46ryl_164_business

Bernie Ecclestone pulled his Brabham team out of Formula 1 at the end of the 1987 season. He had masterminded F1?s commercial operations for many years while combining the role as Brabham team manager, but finally elected to drop the latter and concentrate on the former.

He kept the Brabham mechanics busy with work on a new project for 1988. Ecclestone had dreamt up a new racing series he called the Production Car World Championship - ?Procar? - that would begin in 1989.

The cars would be built as silhouettes of ordinary road cars but fitted with 3.5 litre normally aspirated engines (as was used in F1 from 1989) or 2.8-litre turbocharged units. As a preview of the technology, Brabham built an Alfa Romeo 164 fitted with an F1-spec V10 engine. It was shown off at the 1988 Italian Grand Prix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procar

Last edited:
Mother%20of%20God.jpg

Finally an alfa thats half decent. :p

Carbon stack dash, racing harness, mid-mounted engine, racing wing and slicks. My, what a sleeper.

Yeah, not much of a sleeper, but still one hell of a car.

The 'Ultimate sleeper' title still belongs to the MAT A-model Ford.

Hence my quotes around "Sleeper". Although I'd argue it really is a sleeper as it looks, minus the wheels, identical to a normal 164 from the outside. If it was parked on a street, you couldn't tell the difference really without looking inside.

That's a sleeper in my books.

Ill agree to the extent that 90% of people wouldnt even know what car it was these days, let alone that it could be in such a state of tune. Afterall, even at a lot of car meets I go to, most people cant even tell what car I drive...

That Alfa is one hell of a car though :)

:shock2: How awesome is that!

Awesome! But the only way I'd think that was a sleeper would only be because I wouldn't be expecting it to run in the first place..

Epic winnage.

I'd still believe its a sleeper, it looks roughly like a regular car, until you start it up :p

at the lights here in the states, you'd be the most hated anything ever

That racing series would've been epic - pity it didn't get up. That thing sounds brilliant.

Always loved the 164, just a pity it's fwd. So I really, really need this car!

Always loved the 164, just a pity it's fwd. So I really, really need this car!

There was also a 4WD version called the Q4. It had the same V6 engine as the top line model, but with a 4WD drivetrain that was very advanced for it's day with a fully variable front/rear torque split.

The guy who owns the Alfa dealershio up the road from me actually owns one, at the moment it sits abandoned in his workshop covered in a very thick layer of dust.

He is a REAL petrol head, at the last count he has 14 cars including the Q4, 2 x Alfa 75s (both non runners), 2 x original RWD GTV, one of which has the 3.0 V6 from one of the aforementioned Alfa 75s. An Alfa 147 GTA, a 1976 Ford Mustang V8 (his day to day runner) and a Triumph TR3 (At the moment in bits on axle stands).

Last edited:
I need that in my life.

Now, anybody here want to do something like this to a 159?