Unborn Child To 'Testify' On Ohio Abortion Bill

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
COLUMBUS, Ohio --

A fetus has been scheduled as a legislative witness in Ohio on a unique bill that proposes outlawing abortions after the first heartbeat can be medically detected.

Faith2Action, the anti-abortion group that has targeted Ohio to pilot the measure, called the in-utero witness the youngest to ever come before the House Health Committee at nine weeks old.

Faith2Action president Janet Folger Porter said the intent is to show lawmakers who will be affected by the bill, which is opposed by Ohio Right to Life and abortion rights groups as unconstitutional.

An aide to committee Chairman Lynn Wachtmann said a pregnant woman will be brought before the committee and an ultrasound image of her uterus will be projected onto a screen. The heartbeat of the fetus will be visible in color.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb/28/3/unborn-child-testify-ohio-abortion-bill-ar-409358/

Wut? No, I'm sorry, seriously, wut?

Piblicity stunt. I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure a legal witness has to have some proven level of mental capacity.

Excuse me, but... only in America?

Also, doesn't a witness have to project some opinion/observation/etc, for example by talking/writing/communicating by other means? For instance, a witness reports on his first-hand accounts. A fetus does not do any reporting, a beating heart is no means of communication.

Quite the opposite, the heartbeat of the fetus is witnessed by those present in the court. They could then testify to have seen a heartbeat.

We once hung a monkey as a French spy. So the US is only 200 or so years behind the times.

I do love the idea that if you outlaw abortion, it will magically stop. I mean, that worked really well with drugs, didn't it?

We once hung a monkey as a French spy. So the US is only 200 or so years behind the times.

I do love the idea that if you outlaw abortion, it will magically stop. I mean, that worked really well with drugs, didn't it?

I'm pro choice but I don't get what you're saying there. Murder (of an adult) is outlawed but no one is claiming it never happens.... still probably a good idea to keep it outlawed.

I know, but what the anti-abortion mob seem to think is that by changing the law, abortions will stop. They won't. They'll just go underground, or to Canada, Mexico or whatever.

Ireland has a ban on abortion to this day. However, in 1992, they changed the Constitution to allow people to leave Ireland to have an abortion performed. It was a matter of the law changing to take reality into account. I suspect much the same thing will happen with the UK law on assisted suicide and people heading to Dignitas in Switzerland. Even the judges are saying the law is outdated.

This Ohio mob seem to think that by shocking people, they will get their way. (Which, incidentally, is the fundamental idea behind an act of terrorism.) It won't change a damn thing, apart from to put people in danger.

I saw this thread and instantly thought of this:

n122092.jpg

Must support the right of the unborn to vote!

I fail to see the problem. The bill they are proposing outlaws abortions after the first heartbeat is detected. They are bringing in a pregnant women to show the heartbeat of a fetus. Most emotionally charged bills, those from the left and right, use this kind of evidence to create an impact.

I fail to see the problem. The bill they are proposing outlaws abortions after the first heartbeat is detected. They are bringing in a pregnant women to show the heartbeat of a fetus. Most emotionally charged bills, those from the left and right, use this kind of evidence to create an impact.

The way the article is worded, the fetus is being called witness, not the mother. From a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter, but from a legal standpoint, an unborn child can't bear witness to anything. I dunno, maybe the laws aren't as cut and dry as I imagine them..... it's also quite possible that the article is being sensationalist with its wording.

The problem is, a 9 week old fetus will not survive outside the womb, making that the standard is what irks at me, if it was when a fetus can actually survive outside the womb then I'd agree with that but I bet most miscarriages happen around the time the first heartbeat is detected. If it were a little more realistic in setting when it's not okay for an abortion, I'd understand but what can you expect from a pressure group.

These are the same types that raise hell about sex education and more so if it has information about birth control. Abortion would slowly slip into oblivion if we could give proper information about sex and birth control.

The problem is, a 9 week old fetus will not survive outside the womb, making that the standard is what irks at me, if it was when a fetus can actually survive outside the womb then I'd agree with that but I bet most miscarriages happen around the time the first heartbeat is detected. If it were a little more realistic in setting when it's not okay for an abortion, I'd understand but what can you expect from a pressure group.

No matter what threshold is chosen, there will be some people that think it is too far along and others who think it is too early. This is one of those subjects that will only piss people off no matter what is or is not done.

Yo, that some wacky ass shit.

Sincerely
-The world

heh this is what happens when you combine religion and the judiciary/politics.

who would have thought it.

In most cases, a baby is deemed ready to survive outside the womb when the woman goes into labour.

Supposing the foetus lies? Does it get locked up, and if it does what happenes to the mother if she did not lie? And vice-a-versa?

First the state Senate passes a bill taking away many state employees rights and now this? For shame, Ohio. For shame. :no: What have you been doing since I've been gone?

I think in counter, they should round up a bunch of adults who can say in retrospect if they had been aborted they would have understood because I can't possibly be the only one who thinks that.

These are the same types that raise hell about sex education and more so if it has information about birth control. Abortion would slowly slip into oblivion if we could give proper information about sex and birth control.

This 110%. Some of the school programs passing for sex education here in the states are alarmingly woefully inadequate. There was a site who called out/reviewed some of the more radical programs and systems for sometimes even outright lying about statistics and such...ugh how I wish I still had the links to that site.

EDIT: Found it - http://www.communityactionkit.org/index.cfm?pageId=922

While I'm sure it probably has a not so unbiased viewpoint when they review these programs, the tactics that some of these programs use are wild.

Last edited: