Understated cars: Saab 9-2x

Danny Tran

or <br /><div class="bigusername">Tranny Dan?</div
A Subaru hatchback that is not ugly and quite cool and discrete, especially in blue:

http://img363.imageshack.**/img363/1850/img0487gf0.jpg
CIMG2179.jpg

CIMG2192.jpg

I especially like this car because it has no ugly roof rails.

When it first came out in North America it cost $3,000 to $4,000 ($CAN)MORE than its subie turbo and non-turbo equivalents.

ALso, the lastest WRX has no more up-pipe and a bigger 2.5L block for less lag (about 500 rpm less) and a broader torque band.

Having been on sale for two years now, i reckon we could get great deals on these.

They spoil the lines of the car, giving the impression it is taller than it is, like a van.

And they create a lot of unnecessary drag.

I always liked the front of it... wish it came in a sedan also... and I never understood the premium in the price, it's an Impreza through and through. Post a picture of the interior, it's like all they did was stick a Saab badge on the wheel.

Cant buy that one in Scandinavia... i think.

That's ironic considering Saab is from Sweden.

Well, for the most part, cars are really expensive here, especially in Norway and Denmark, it's better in Sweden though.. And i.e. Norway, Saab has not that good sales records, so it's not hard to see that an expensive hatchback that won't sell too great wouldn't be taken in.

But Banii, if they sell it in the EU, I believe they are obligated to import it for you, for no extra cost! :)

Cant buy that one in Scandinavia... i think.

I believe the 9-2x was sold only for North America, as is the 9-7x although some dealers in Europe and abroad have expressed interest for the truck.

The 9-2x is now dead after GM sold-off their entire share of Subaru (including severing their joint-venture project in building a new CUV). It was meant to be a "temporary stop-gap" vehicle because Saab dealers badly needed a small car to sell under the 9-3. Dealers might still have them around for dirt-cheap.

*sigh* And it's the same car James Kim was driving. I'll never look at the 9-2x the same way again.

But Banii, if they sell it in the EU, I believe they are obligated to import it for you, for no extra cost! :)

well... no, no they are not. And it doesn't matter because they never sold that in Europe. Which is kinda sad because I like it in a weird kind of way :)

I don't like it. Shows how far from modern design these subarus still are, it doesn't look like a saab at all.

GM Canada ran this employee price-type sale 2 years ago, where you could pay employee price for any car GM sells (minus a few premium cars like the Escalade or the Corvette). That deal made it a smoking way to get a Subaru, although in Saab clothing.

I wish they'd have made a sedan of this, though.

the thing that bothered me about the 9-2x is that it costs so much more than the WRX. Thats fine if you could see the difference on the inside. But they really are identical. And i find that i like how the WRX looks more than the 9-2x.

The areo model with the Turbo is the one to get.

We have a Saab dealer in our group and they have one with 40,000 miles listed for just under 19,000 dollars with the Saab Certified warranty. You could probably walk in and offer then 16,000 or so for it and walk away with it.

It's a bit too understated for me....ie; boring. And I like roof rails on wagons :)

the thing that bothered me about the 9-2x is that it costs so much more than the WRX. Thats fine if you could see the difference on the inside. But they really are identical. And i find that i like how the WRX looks more than the 9-2x.
I'd prefer a Subaru.

I was against this thing when it was created, and I still don't like it. I mean, what's the point? If you want an Impreza, you buy an Impreza. How many people are going to buy an overpriced Impreza simply because it has a Saab front grafted onto it? I also didn't like how it showed GM getting their fingers into Subaru.

No, this sort of this is just taking the piss out of the market and taking them for fools.

Yeah, it's too expensive for what you get. People criticize Lexus for being a Toyota with a higher price tag, what about this? It is a WRX inside and out... seriously, did this have anything different from the WRX aside from the headlights? Any extras or premium features?

The areo model with the Turbo is the one to get.

We have a Saab dealer in our group and they have one with 40,000 miles listed for just under 19,000 dollars with the Saab Certified warranty. You could probably walk in and offer then 16,000 or so for it and walk away with it.

Remember last year's GM Employee Discount, they were slashing like $3K-$5K (can't exactly remember how much) off sticker and reportedly they were flying-off the lots (at least, the manual Aero model were sold-out everywhere). Add that with Saab's five-year warranty vs. Subaru's four, and it was a good deal. Before then, nobody really bought it and buyers weren't that stupid that it was basically a rebadged WRX.

I still don't like the car though. I would've just bought a proper WRX if I wanted one. Lamest GM badge engineering at its finest.

Last edited:
I was against this thing when it was created, and I still don't like it. I mean, what's the point? If you want an Impreza, you buy an Impreza. How many people are going to buy an overpriced Impreza simply because it has a Saab front grafted onto it? I also didn't like how it showed GM getting their fingers into Subaru.

No, this sort of this is just taking the piss out of the market and taking them for fools.

Agreed - I can't look at that car and see anything other than a WRX - Inside and out. Maybe it would be cool to someone who didn't know better - but its horribly lame to me. Its a WRX - which rocks - with a GM 'luxury' pretense. I BETTER get better warranty to square the price difference.

Last edited: