Autoblog: Undisguised 2012 Porsche 911 caught in Germany

EsPpY

A bit more rakish, but that's it. Still no difference. I'm looking forward to the Turbo variant as usual.

I rather like the look of it.

Clarkson is wrong. Actually the Porsche stylists must have the hardest job of all to keep the thing looking fresh and at the same time pretty much the way it always has done.

Working within fixed parameters certainly can be harder than starting with a blank sheet.

Exactly.

And I just had a totally random thought.

Next time someone posts the phrase "You do the math" I shall reply "Actually I do the bad puns, narf does the math."

In a month the IAA starts. As far as I know this car will be presented there anyways. So I don't really wonder why it has been "caught" now.

PS: Don't like it like usual.

And I just had a totally random thought.

Next time someone posts the phrase "You do the math" I shall reply "Actually I do the bad puns, narf does the math."

:rofl:

More on topic, why is it wearing lipstick on its rather large bottom and a weird hat?

When I saw the blurb on the front page, I thought it said, "Undistinguished 2012 Porsche." And I nodded.

I think I'm to the point where I'll only consider buying a Porsche if they got rid of the 911 altogether. It's become the gangrenous limb on the Body Porsche.

When I saw the blurb on the front page, I thought it said, "Undistinguished 2012 Porsche." And I nodded.

I think I'm to the point where I'll only consider buying a Porsche if they got rid of the 911 altogether. It's become the gangrenous limb on the Body Porsche.

Sorry but :rofl:.

Trade in a 2008 Honda Fit and you might just get a set of 911 wheel nuts!

:D

Trade in a 2008 Honda Fit and you might just get a set of 911 wheel nuts!

:D

Well, I am at the point of the Midlife Crisis Car, and the Boxster would be an obvious candidate for an attempt at testosterone replacement, but I'm just so utterly bored with Porsche's design language. Every Porsche has to have some element of a 911 incorporated into the design, whether or not it's aesthetically appropriate. Thus, we get abominations like the Panamera.

Guess it has to be a Jaaaaaaag. Good thing my local Jag dealer is also my local Honda dealer. That way, I'll get a trade-in that'll buy me more than the wheel nuts.

Aaaaaannnnnd I am going to mark my 9000th FG post telling yet another member simply to get a Miata.

I got mine as an early 40th birthday present. Footnote under the relevant characters on my registration (license) plates says "WOT MID-LIFE CRISIS?"

Just do it!

It will look exactly the fucking same but will have gills on the rear wheel arches.

Well, I want to see the wheels they introduce for that, and the bodykit.

EDIT: On a side note, 918 aside, if I want a Porsche I will definitely get the current Cayenne Turbo. The thing's looks are finally sorted for me now.

Last edited:
Once again there are some who just refuses to get the point; If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

When you have one of the most successful sports car designs ever, you don't change it too much. You also try to apply said design to other cars in the range, which is exactly what Porsche have done (with considerable success) since the 968 and 928 were discontinued.

Once again there are some who just refuses to get the point; If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

When you have one of the most successful sports car designs ever, you don't change it too much. You also try to apply said design to other cars in the range, which is exactly what Porsche have done (with considerable success) since the 968 and 928 were discontinued.

And for those of us who feel that it is broke, and that it was born broken, and that it's a mistake to apply something that is broken to an entire range of cars?

The benchmark sports coup? is broken? :p

Miles per gallon is a benchmark measurement, but it's broken (as you Euros keep reminding us). Just because something is a benchmark doesn't mean that it's beyond criticism.

And, remember, I'm American. To a great many of us, a 911 is some piece of foreign exotica driven by fat, balding businessmen, a benchmark only of someone who didn't save money by getting prescribed erectile dysfunction drugs.

I'll let Clarkson speak for me:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thespie/2011/08/07/Jeremy_Clarkson_-_1998_-_Most_Outrageous_video....Ever.avi_000591560.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thespie/2011/08/07/Jeremy_Clarkson_-_1998_-_Most_Outrageous_video....Ever.avi_000586200.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thespie/2011/08/07/Jeremy_Clarkson_-_1998_-_Most_Outrageous_video....Ever.avi_000574240.jpg

And for those of us who feel that it is broke, and that it was born broken, and that it's a mistake to apply something that is broken to an entire range of cars?
Well it's simple. You are wrong. A car that is as successful as the 911 has been and still is (both as a road car and race car) and sells in such great numbers clearly isn't broken. The design is simply just an immortal classic that still continues to win races as well as it sells. It's simply a living legend...

Miles per gallon is a benchmark measurement, but it's broken (as you Euros keep reminding us). Just because something is a benchmark doesn't mean that it's beyond criticism.
It's not beyond criticism, but said criticism should make sense. Characterizing it as a "gangrenous limb" doesn't. Repeating the same old Clarkson-drivel about "Beetle on steroids" etc. doesn't either.

And, remember, I'm American. To a great many of us, a 911 is some piece of foreign exotica driven by fat, balding businessmen, a benchmark only of someone who didn't save money by getting prescribed erectile dysfunction drugs.
Nonsense... The same argument can be made against the Corvette, any Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, or in fact any expensive sports car wearing a premium badge. Newsflash: Idiots like to show themselves off in expensive cars.

I'll let Clarkson speak for me:
[...]
:rolleyes:

Well, as we all know most of his 911-hate on Top Gear is scripted. After all he put the 996 Turbo ahead of his beloved F-355 in his Top-100 movie, just a few years later, and he loves the GT3 as he showed in his 2003 movie Shootout, and last years Italian Job.

Last edited: