Autoblog: Undisguised 2012 Porsche 911 caught in Germany

I agree very much. Getting a computer to spit out the most aerodynamically efficient shape possible isn't hard.

If that were true then Timo Glock would have won the Formula 1 WDC last year.

Someone needs to make an Obama-style poster with a 911 on it and "no change!" underneath ...

Judging by the way the administration is going I'd say make a poster with "change" on it and then just don't do any major changes whatsoever :dunno:

Have they fixed/got rid of the IMS bearing yet? If not, no care.

(also, does anyone know someone selling a 996 rolling chassis, preferably with transmission/transaxle)

Have they fixed/got rid of the IMS bearing yet? If not, no care.
Was fixed a long time ago. The DFI engines that were introduced with the mid life update of the 997 back in 2008 were brand new designs from scratch. The design took elements from the 962/GT1-engine found in the GT-cars, and the Turbo, rather than the old one which stemmed from the original Boxster. I'm positive that the IMS-issue was fixed way before then as well... Besides, the 996 engine issues only happens with around 5 % of the cars, Carrera models only though, as GT- and Turbo-models uses the "Mezger" Motorsport unit.

Thanks for the answer and I do agree as about Porsche's designers having a difficult choice as well. Your point about getting a computer to make the most the most aerodynamically efficient shape possible brought me to an idea. Do car designers actually design a car from scratch these days or do you think they punch a blob into the computer with some parameters for the height of the car, length, angle of windscreen etc. and then alter the design which is produced by the computer?

From talking with a CFD guy working for Honda North America, aerodynamics come second to the design of the car. AKA, the designers (artists) make the model, then it gets sent to the engineers who fiddle with it to make it better, but the original design takes precedence over the engineering changes. I'm sure a company like Porsche does it a bit differently, but it is obvious with the 911 that the form comes first (it has to look like a 911).

Also, CFD programs don't take shapes and reshape them by themselves. Just doing one CFD run is a massively complex job. A program that changes geometry by itself to improve aerodynamics would take supercomputers to finish in any sort of reasonable time (probably still on the order of days/weeks to get anywhere). And, as the Virgin F1 team has shown, CFD can't be solely relied upon. Wind tunnel testing is absolutely necessary, and that adds more months to the schedule.

Last edited:
I think it sounds like poop, the color make it looks like poop, but the design is fine. Besides, that isn't the model I'm interested in seeing I would definitely agree that it is harder to work with predetermined parameters rather than a blank sheet.

Have you been to a Corvette meet? It's nothing but middle-aged to older couples talking about how they got 40mpg on the highway just the other day by not taking the car out of 6th, or how many groceries the trunk will actually hold, that is if they don't take the Lexus.

I guess you've only been to meets with older Vettes, and a few newer ones that are red with tan seats and a tan top (puke).

Corvette drivers span many different age groups, I mean, here's some local guys who definitely don't fall into your description. All under 30 BTW.

[video=youtube;QID-sNVKPH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QID-sNVKPH4[/video]

Now back to the Beetle :mrgreen:.....

I mean, here's some local guys who definitely don't fall into your description. All under 30 BTW.

How excatly do show-offs, with personalised number plates, who listen to crappy rap music and race their pimped college diploma gifts (read: dad's money), improve someone's perception of Corvette owners? :lol:
There's nothing wrong with owning a Corvette, it's definately a great car, I just think you chose the wrong example here. ;)

How excatly do show-offs, with personalised number plates, who listen to crappy rap music and race their pimped college diploma gifts (read: dad's money), improve someone's perception of Corvette owners? :lol:
There's nothing wrong with owning a Corvette, it's definately a great car, I just think you chose the wrong example here. ;)

:lol: One own's his own shop, the other is an engineer, can't remember on what the C5 guy does, but not daddy's money on any. Agree with you on the music in Scorch's video though, but it's the only decent one of his car not in a race. Don't be mad because people can afford nice cars and to spend money on their nice cars with their own money.

I think those are perfect examples of Corvette owners that don't fit his supposed stereotype, and doing what they were built to do, go fast (though maybe only half since they can do it in a corner too). He said they were all old and talked about gas mileage...they weren't shooting for gas mileage in a 418ci, 441ci, or a TT 427ci? :lol: (Though it isn't that terrible.)

Let me guess, you're fine with Eurotrash "hellaflush" or stupid cambered setups, but a big HP with a plate to let you know you're going to lose (you probably have no problem with TG referenced plates or the like) or another having a little fun blowing some tires off are junk? Something along those lines?

I think it sounds like poop, the color make it looks like poop, but the design is fine. Besides, that isn't the model I'm interested in seeing I would definitely agree that it is harder to work with predetermined parameters rather than a blank sheet.
I think it sounds promising, much rawer than a standard 997 Carrera S, more like a GT3 in fact. Though, it get's much better up the rev range, as you can hear a bit of in this video: (from about 0:59)

:lol: One own's his own shop, the other is an engineer, can't remember on what the C5 guy does, but not daddy's money on any. Agree with you on the music in Scorch's video though, but it's the only decent one of his car not in a race. Don't be mad because people can afford nice cars and to spend money on their nice cars with their own money.

At first, let me say I'm glad we agree on the choice of music! Secondly I would never be mad or jealous at anyone because they can afford something I can't. The fact that there are a lot of people here in Germany who are notoriously jealous, is one of the things I don't like about my country. Here the thinking seems to be "Why can HE afford that and I can't! So unfair hurrdurr!!!" whereas in other countries, especially the US is more like "Good job on earning yourself that!". In my perception at least.

I think those are perfect examples of Corvette owners that don't fit his supposed stereotype, and doing what they were built to do, go fast (though maybe only half since they can do it in a corner too). He said they were all old and talked about gas mileage...they weren't shooting for gas mileage in a 418ci, 441ci, or a TT 427ci? :lol: (Though it isn't that terrible.)

You did just fine proving a stereotype wrong that is non existant anyways, ;)

Let me guess, you're fine with Eurotrash "hellaflush" or stupid cambered setups, but a big HP with a plate to let you know you're going to lose (you probably have no problem with TG referenced plates or the like) or another having a little fun blowing some tires off are junk? Something along those lines?

Actually I don't like any of the stuff you mentioned. The more HP the merrier, but why shout about it. Enjoy the fact your faster, show it at the track, but going all "in your face" with number plates or stickers or stuff like that isn't what I find cool. In fact I think it's childish. Destroy perfectly fine tires? Hell yeah, on any trackday or drag strip!

I think it sounds promising, much rawer than a standard 997 Carrera S, more like a GT3 in fact. Though, it get's much better up the rev range, as you can hear a bit of in this video: (from about 0:59)

I'll wait to hear it outside, but that is a much better sound. Too bad that's not where the car would live most it life.

At first, let me say I'm glad we agree on the choice of music! Secondly I would never be mad or jealous at anyone because they can afford something I can't. The fact that there are a lot of people here in Germany who are notoriously jealous, is one of the things I don't like about my country. Here the thinking seems to be "Why can HE afford that and I can't! So unfair hurrdurr!!!" whereas in other countries, especially the US is more like "Good job on earning yourself that!". In my perception at least.

You did just fine proving a stereotype wrong that is non existant anyways, ;)

Actually I don't like any of the stuff you mentioned. The more HP the merrier, but why shout about it. Enjoy the fact your faster, show it at the track, but going all "in your face" with number plates or stickers or stuff like that isn't what I find cool. In fact I think it's childish. Destroy perfectly fine tires? Hell yeah, on any trackday or drag strip!

Looks like we agree on most things, although I find custom plates to be funny and sometimes fitting.

I love how in the mid 80's, the 911 was considered somewhat ostentatious and attention seeking in appearance. Fast forward 30 odd years and the same basic shape is now the discrete choice of supercars.
I though the 80's were supposed to be flash and tacky conflamit!!!! :)

I love it. Even (especially!) the mocha brown. Haters gonna hate. That's fine. More of dat assssssss for me. <3

Friend of mine in San Fran just photographed this pre sale 911 on the road earlier today

http://img403.imageshack.**/img403/407/31497410150309853592301.jpg

Go to 15:30

[video=youtube;5hbqVZZNm-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hbqVZZNm-Q[/video]

I took these of the 991 at the Porsche Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca. I really like it.

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

What a surprising design.

There is something about this one compared to the previous generation that just makes me salivate like I never have for a Porsche design before. The changes are subtle and a bit hard to pinpoint, but whatever they did is fantastic and I really like it. It may not be completely original, but the changes are there and really make a difference IMHO.