Autoblog: Undisguised 2012 Porsche 911 caught in Germany

There is something about this one compared to the previous generation that just makes me salivate like I never have for a Porsche design before. The changes are subtle and a bit hard to pinpoint, but whatever they did is fantastic and I really like it. It may not be completely original, but the changes are there and really make a difference IMHO.

Same here. I'm digging this new one a lot more than any earlier 911.

Damn it.

I never liked 911's. I've had the same view of them as Clarkson. And that was well before I knew who he was.

But, I have to admit. I like this one.

Now, pardon me. I have to go tell all my friends hell has, in fact, frozen over.

Convoy, eh? And in America too no less. Very cool.

Patrick Long taking the 991 Carrera S for a spin... Accompanied by Leh Keen in a Cayman R

Am I the only one who, despite admiring the hardcore GT cars, turbo models and 4WD series, would rather buy a completely base-spec, manual Carrera?

Am I the only one who, despite admiring the hardcore GT cars, turbo models and 4WD series, would rather buy a completely base-spec, manual Carrera?

Yeah me too. A nice Carrera 2S is all car I could ever want. Maybe put an aftermarket exhaust on it but that would be all!

Count me in as well. If I had one of the hotter models, that would likely just mean I'd wad it up sooner.

GT3 seems to have the best allround balance of excitement and usability, maybe looks a little douchy with the big wing.

I think I would need to the Turbo or higher personally. Possibly the Carrera4S but I'd feel like I would always kinda want the bigger more powerful one. Having ridden in an older Turbo (which is the Carrera4 in most other ways), it definitely wants to give it the beans but is also daily driveable. I've never been in a car that is more eager to accelerate though, and you can tell its always wanting to go and a twitch of your foot would mean you are going 60 when you meant to be going 20. Still, its not hard to drive it slowly either, you just have to be conscious of it.

My one major requirement would be a AWD one, since its almost necessary in Colorado. They do awesome in the snow and as long as its inches of snow and not feet they are a great mountain car. Its why you see so many of them in places like Vail and Aspen. Porsche's are by far the most prevalent "super car" in Colorado. I put that in quotes, since I almost don't see them as super cars since they are truly daily driveable and you see a bunch of them with bicycles or ski carriers on them, which to me isn't really a super car kind of thing.

I'm a big fan, and this is my favorite version of the 911 ever that is coming out. Maybe I'll be able to afford one in 20 years at the end of my mid life crisis.

Now the Convertible is out...
Porsche has released the first details and photos of the 2012 911 (991) Carrera Cabriolet and the Carrera S Cabriolet.
The open top version has the same engines as the Coupe variant. The Carrera Cabriolet's 3.4 liter engine packs 350 PS (257 kW / 345 bhp) while the Carrera S cabriolet gets a little extra from the 3.8 liter engine with 400 PS (294 kW / 394 bhp).

The roof design in the up position perfectly retains the 911 roof line of the Carrera Coupe, complete with a fabric soft top just like its predecessor. Additionally, Porsche has introduced a new lightweight folding roof frame using magnesium.

Both versions are due to hit the showroom floor in March 2012. German market pricing for the standard Carrera Cabriolet will begin at ?100,532 while the Carrera S Cabriolet will start at ?114,931.

1636093807802390904.jpg

9624254752054988328.jpg

17583337851068266605.jpg

571958035813193555.jpg

7014225431803490026.jpg

Source: WorldCarFans

Also, this marks the return of the classic "ducktail" as an optional extra for the 991, the "new" ducktail is a part of the "Sport Design" equipment package...

tail_closeup.jpg

porsche_991_02.jpg

porsche_991_01.jpg

Now it's only missing the classic Fuchs wheels...