Autoblog: Undisguised 2012 Porsche 911 caught in Germany

The 991 iteration of the 911 convertible looks much sleeker than the version of the 997 series.

so this one is the 991? which follows the 997, which followed the 996, which followed the 993, which followed the 964?

is there ANY logic in their chassisnaming?

so this one is the 991? which follows the 997, which followed the 996, which followed the 993, which followed the 964?

Does the chassis name make any difference to you? It would be the same thing had them called them random names.

^that's my point :lol:

at least audi, BMW and mercedes have some logic in it!

I stopped trying to understand the logic of their chassis names once this happened. It think they just want to avoid going into quadruple digits 1xxx out of some stupid tradition. Much like their stubborness with rear engine, and putting the ignition key hole on the wrong side.

(...) Much like their stubborness (...) putting the ignition key hole on the wrong side.
This actually is a rather cool relict of the golden days in Le Mans when the drivers had to run to their racecars, jump in, start the engine and fasten their seatbelts at the start of the race. In order to be able to belt on and start the engine at the same time the engineers positined the ignition key hole on the left side, so the drivers could start the engine with their left hand and strap themselves with their right hand.

Last edited:
This actually is a rather cool relict of the golden days in Le Mans when the drivers had to run to their racecars, jump in, start the engine and fasten their seatbelts at the start of the race. In order to be able to belt on and start the engine at the same time the engineers positined the ignition key hole on the left side, so the drivers could start the engine with their left hand and strap themselves with their right hand.

I know the story behind the tradition of LeMans racing, I am just using it as an example to poke fun at 'tradition' at the expense of practicality. I should have clarified that, very sorry for making you explain it seriously and sound pedantic.

After all I'm pretty sure 99% of modern porsche owners don't start their cars by jumping in the window :lol:

Last edited:
this is the first 911 since the late eighties turbo that i really really dig.

looks like actual change has occured from 997 to 991 versus barely a thing with 996 to 997

A little peek behind the scenes from the last year of testing the 991:

The 991 looks a little more grown up than the 997. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, but it definitely looks a little more...stately.

Evo did a comparison against 997 GT3. 991 might be the most comfortable and easiest to use 911 ever, but even in the most daily drivable Carrera S spec it turned out to be pretty good driver's car against the GT3. :blink: They said the GT3 is still the more exciting car, but the 991 Carrera S is still excellent driving tool. So how insanely great will the 991 GT3 (RS) be?

Evo did a comparison against 997 GT3. 991 might be the most comfortable and easiest to use 911 ever, but even in the most daily drivable Carrera S spec it turned out to be pretty good driver's car against the GT3. :blink: They said the GT3 is still the more exciting car, but the 991 Carrera S is still excellent driving tool. So how insanely great will the 991 GT3 (RS) be?

It'll have to be beyond insane in order to prove to be a good homologation base for a 991 RSR that is able to kick Ferrari's GT cars into the middle of last week.

The more I see the 991, the more I dig the look of it. Can't WAIT to see the GT3! :woot: