Urban Exploration and Whatnot

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
So, I've been a fan of the youtube channel, The Proper People as they go through old abandoned buildings and properties, sometimes getting caught. I find this sort of thing exciting as a link to the past of what we used to do and find normal such as US Mental Health institutions and coal fired power plants. Anyone else interested? I find it intersting how surprised they are about finding sports padding near closets in mental health institutions. Having known people who have worked in these places, when somebody acts out, you need protection and threfore, you dress up in football padding to avoid getting hurt too much as a caretaker. It's part of the job from what I've been told.

Here's a video from a fairly recent video.

Just me or are there dozens of us?

The oatmeal + radioactive isotopes can be read about on the wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_E._Fernald_Developmental_Center

I love seeing the old architecture of buildings we used to use and how blan they are today, it's great to still see some standing, even if they aren't still used.

Last edited:

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I've watched their stuff for years but never felt like doing it myself. It's great to see some of these places still standing though, the power plants with incredible architecture are my favourites. The recent abandoned Chinese projects are the weirdest.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
I've watched their stuff for years but never felt like doing it myself. It's great to see some of these places still standing though, the power plants with incredible architecture are my favourites. The recent abandoned Chinese projects are the weirdest.

YES, I find the power plants exciting, the mental health places very saddening, and the chinese places fascinating. What scares me the most is the stairwells. Sure, they're concrete but they're so thin! I cannot imagine those would support much more than 1 or 2 people at a time.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
What's "UBRAN"?

RedPandaXP

Car(s)
Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM
I love urban exploration videos! The places look like time capsules, it's like living at the time they were abandoned for a bit. The Proper People was actually the first urban exploration YT channel I followed!
I've always wanted to try it sometime, but if I get reported for trespassing, I would immediately lose my job (because security/firearms licence). There's a huge abandoned industrial estate close to my place, where they used to build locomotives and WWII fighters among other things that I always wanted to explore, but that's a criminal activity hotspot, so it's a big no.

Also:

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
03 Ford Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S
A friend of mine used to Urbex, but she got into things like drainage tunnels, railway tunnels and so forth. There are some great places here, which have the potential for fantiastic photography opportunities, but the more people know about and share them, the more trashed they become, and then eventually they end up having to be demolished due to damage.