US of A Presidential Elections 2012

Follow up to Jim Cramer and his problems with Voter ID in PA.

jim_cramer.jpg

I think you can make an argument that some states have done it right but other states have not. PA for example has some unique demographic and geographic challenges that are going to disenfranchise people. There is no way they are going to get all 700,000 of those people IDs by the time the election rolls around.

The unique challenges in PA and the blatant partisan intent by the legislature have already been documented and we do not need to go over them again.

Just do things properly, and mandate said ID after everyone has been issued one.

You will never get a federal ID law passed in the US.

The very same people for Voter ID at the state level would kill a national ID program.

Hell I do not want a national federal ID law.

I didn't say federal, the principle "mandate after everyone has been issued one" works for IDs at any level.

I didn't say federal, the principle "mandate after everyone has been issued one" works for IDs at any level.

You still need to get everyone an ID, though, and that is the main argument against these laws. It is difficult for many poor populations to get an ID in the first place because of the inaccessibility of government buildings for them (how do you get to a place 10-20 miles away when you don't have a car, don't have good public transit, and can't afford a taxi?).

Your idea would require efforts to get IDs to them, which costs money, and I'm sure certain people (Republicans) would complain about the possibility of fraud.

You still need to get everyone an ID, though, and that is the main argument against these laws. It is difficult for many poor populations to get an ID in the first place because of the inaccessibility of government buildings for them (how do you get to a place 10-20 miles away when you don't have a car, don't have good public transit, and can't afford a taxi?).

Your idea would require efforts to get IDs to them, which costs money, and I'm sure certain people (Republicans) would complain about the possibility of fraud.

Again, most poor people (if not almost all) already have some form of acceptable ID. If they're on welfare, social security, disability or any form of government assistance, they are *required* to have some form of ID. PA's voter ID law is even more lenient than most of the ones accepted by the Supreme Court - they're accepting resident photo IDs from accredited nursing homes.

Also, they'd get to the government buildings the same way they get to the polls. Or to the welfare offices. Funny how they can get to the polls (which are often the same distance away) but somehow can't get to the government offices to get an ID. Why is that?

Almost three days later, still waiting for you liberal geniuses to come up with proof that Voter ID actually discriminates against and oppresses minorities like me when it actually INCREASES minority turnout.

You will never get a federal ID law passed in the US.

The very same people for Voter ID at the state level would kill a national ID program.

Hell I do not want a national federal ID law.

So did the people who hate Voter ID. See what happened to the REAL ID Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Last edited:
Spectre, you may think voter ID doesn't hurt poor minorities, but federal courts are disagreeing with you. Also, one example of voter turnout increasing does not create a rule. Surely you aren't oblivious to how statistics work. Here are some more sources citing studies that show millions can be disenfranchised by voter ID laws.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/voter-id-laws-minorities_n_1878893.html
http://www.brennancenter.org/conten...estrictions_may_affect_more_than_five_million
(NOTE: Non-partisan studies)

And no, you don't go to the DMV the same as you go to the polls. There are far more polling centers than there are DMVs, they are much easier to get to.

In the end, though, it isn't all about what harm voter ID laws may do. It is about creating more of a burden on voting for zero reason, which makes it bad policy. There is NO EVIDENCE that any type of voter fraud exists in any amount that actually affects elections. Boards of Elections all over the country agree with that, the Brennan Center for Justice agrees with that, the US Department of Justice agrees with that.

And FINALLY, whatever you may believe the actual effect is, there stands the fact that Republicans have been quoted as saying the stated goal of their efforts have been to help Romney win with voter ID laws.

Spectre, you may think voter ID doesn't hurt poor minorities, but federal courts are disagreeing with you. Also, one example of voter turnout increasing does not create a rule. Surely you aren't oblivious to how statistics work.

Except, uh, the Supreme Court has said that it doesn't place undue burden. And further, Federal courts short of the Supreme Court make stupid statements all the time - several have denied that there was an individual right to keep and bear arms, for example, until the Supreme Court recently and finally shut them up (at least for a while) by affirming otherwise.

In the 2008 Supreme Court decision over Voter ID, which was a 6-3 decision with liberal Justice Stevens writing for the majority, the Court said: ""There is no question about the legitimacy or importance of a state's interest in counting only eligible voter's vote." Further, the case was decided so in part because despite the best efforts of the NAACP, ACLU and many other organizations, not one single credible person could be found who could show they were denied the right to vote in Indiana because of Voter ID.

And it's not just one example. I've already covered Georgia. How about Indiana, a state Obama won *with* Voter ID.

Indiana: Minority turnout rose after Voter ID. In fact, the number of black voters DOUBLED.

More reading here, in this study: https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/handle/10355/2549

The University of Delaware and the University of Nebraska?Lincoln examined data from the 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006 elections. At both the aggregate and individual levels, the study found that voter ID laws do not negatively affect turnout, including across racial/ethnic/socioeconomic lines. The study concludes that ?concerns about voter identification laws affecting turnout are much ado about nothing.? Source: Jason D. Mycoff, Michael W. Wagner, and David C. Wilson, The Empirical Effects of Voter-ID Laws: Present or Absent, PS: Political Science & Politics, 42 (2009), 121?126. An earlier version of this paper appeared as Jason D. Mycoff, Michael W. Wagner, and David C. Wilson, Do Voter Identification Laws Affect Voter Turnout? Working Paper, Department of Political Science and International Relations, University of Delaware (2007).

There's more examples, if you want me to swamp the thread with them. There is not one single impartial, peer-reviewed scientific study that says that voter ID reduces minority turn out.

Here are some more sources citing studies that show millions can be disenfranchised by voter ID laws.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/voter-id-laws-minorities_n_1878893.html
http://www.brennancenter.org/conten...estrictions_may_affect_more_than_five_million
(NOTE: Non-partisan studies)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA The Brennan Center? Non partisan?????

Sorry, it's just not: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jack-c...ibes-soros-funded-brennan-center-non-partisan It's no more non-partisan than the American Enterprise Institute.

Further, how can they be unbiased and impartial about the matter when they are an active participant in lawsuits against Voter ID? Hint: They can't. It makes them about as impartial as those law firms that put up web sites that always blame manufacturers for every car crash ever, i.e., not in the least.

Further, peer-reviewed studies by *actual* impartial institutions like American University have shown that only a tiny fraction of voters are lacking acceptable ID. Some indicate less than .01% of voters are likely to be lacking an ID. Which, uh, last I looked, wasn't any 700,000 in Pennsylvania, considering the Census only recorded 12.7 million for the entire state.

And no, you don't go to the DMV the same as you go to the polls. There are far more polling centers than there are DMVs, they are much easier to get to.

And again, there are even fewer welfare offices and social security offices than DMVs. Yet the poor have no problem getting there, apparently. Or in securing benefits. Which require an ID.

Further, the PA Voter ID law accepts student IDs, nursing home IDs, and other governmental IDs like military and similar IDs, which don't require going to the DMV, and cover pretty much everyone who is likely to be missing them.

In the end, though, it isn't all about what harm voter ID laws may do. It is about creating more of a burden on voting for zero reason, which makes it bad policy. There is NO EVIDENCE that any type of voter fraud exists in any amount that actually affects elections. Boards of Elections all over the country agree with that, the Brennan Center for Justice agrees with that, the US Department of Justice agrees with that.

And FINALLY, whatever you may believe the actual effect is, there stands the fact that Republicans have been quoted as saying the stated goal of their efforts have been to help Romney win with voter ID laws.

And the fact remains that some Democrats 1) publicly support the suppression of minorities, a la the KKK, and 2) support Voter ID. Should these be construed to mean that the entire Democrat organization nationwide supports Voter ID to suppress minorities as well? Also, you never answered my other question - who were the Democrats in Rhode Island and Kansas wishing to oppress?

As for the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT? I'm sorry, this Justice Department cannot be trusted by anyone - they were handed a case of clear voter oppression and intimidation with video evidence and dropped prosecution of it - then trying to cover up the fact that they dropped it for political reasons (Black Panther case). They channeled firearms to Mexico illegally resulting in hundreds of deaths including several of US citizens and law enforcement officers (Fast And Furious). They have investigated opponents and critics of the administration in what appears to be some attempt at Chicago-machine style intimidation (Gibson Guitars, Gallup Polls, more.)

The Justice Department says this is okay and not intimidation at ALL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU

And as for zero reason - I'm sorry, but if you want me to start listing media reports of indictments and convictions for in-person voter fraud, we're going to be here a while. There are good reasons for Voter ID. Not least of which is getting more people to vote, but also providing at least some initial barrier against Mr. Smith (not real name) coming and voting as four or more different people during the course of one day, as I have seen in more than one election. As the Democrat legislator in Rhode Island that started Voter ID there was, I was disgusted with the whole thing after witnessing blatant voter fraud and supported the idea ever after. But, voter fraud doesn't matter, right? Oh, wait...

As you liberals like to say, "It's for the children! If it only saves ONE child, isn't it worth it?" Well, by that logic, if it only stops one fraudulent vote (and therefore disenfranchising someone else), it must be worth it.

Last edited:

I'm working on the assumption that, for whatever reason, the need for an ID is there. IF you need IDs, then you should get them to people and make sure everyone has one before it's mandatory. If you don't need IDs, then don't :lol:

As for "fraud", that possibility always exists if you don't track your citizens from birth. Over here, the local government knows who is eligible to vote in some upcoming election, and sends out letters accordingly to remind everyone of the date and their voting place. These registries have many more purposes than elections, and the associated ID is all I need to travel to many countries. It also serves as a digital signature when doing authenticated online interaction with government agencies, such as doing my taxes.
However, I guess such a registry is not desirable over there :dunno:

As you liberals like to say, "It's for the children! If it only saves ONE child, isn't it worth it?" Well, by that logic, if it only stops one fraudulent vote (and therefore disenfranchising someone else), it must be worth it.

That stereotype goes both ways. "If it only kills ONE child, it's not worth it" - "if it only stops ONE eligible citizen from voting, it's not worth it".

Last edited:
Liberals say it is for the children? I hear far more conservatives say that.

Last edited:
Sounds like the conservatives when they are talking about the Drug War to me.

I never denied it by the way, just said I hear it more from the right.

SNL did a bit Saturday that predicted this. It was Obama giving a speech where he announces that Romney is their secret weapon, it then cuts to Romney giving a speech.

IMO, Mittens said exactly what he needed to say to get the attendees to invest in his campaign. My only beef is with this phrase: "I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." That line would only relate to people who inherited fortunes or high-paid jobs (i.e. children of fortune) and trophy wives. Anybody who had do take out student loans, work minimum wage, serve his country or care for the elderly or disabled relatives, and anyone who started at the very bottom, should strongly disagree.

Even though it certainly won't help Mittens, it's nice to finally hear what he really has to say. At least now I can say that I understand his view of electorate.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response, been busy as hell over the weekend teaching people to tackle drunks and fighting with a former American football professional the size of a vending machine and the weight of a Volkswagen. Great fun.

-

Being a minority myself, I keep hearing about how voter ID is supposed to oppress me and make me unable to vote. I'd really like to hear how that works, since even the poorest people in the 'primarily minority economically depressed neighborhoods' on 'government assistance' already possess valid government IDs. You can't get 'assistance' without an ID. You can't cash a government check without an ID. You can't get a free or subsidized bus pass without an ID, etc., etc. In fact, about the only governmentally related function you can perform without an ID is voting.

Further, while there may be some states trying to play games with their legislation, voter ID has been in the works for a long time - long before Mittens (I don't like the guy much either) declared for this time by. In fact, most Voter ID programs were initiated before the *last* midterms and no few were started before the 2008 elections. Mostly the implementations of them were delayed by incessant lawsuits, stays, restraining orders and the need for the cases to work their assorted ways through to the Supreme Court. If these obstructions had not been put in place, this actually would have been implemented more than two years ago or so and it would not have been a mad rush at the last minute. So these mostly aren't 'new' programs - Texas' was passed almost two years ago and we've already had several local elections under voter ID.

If you block implementation of a thing for years, then lose that block, you don't get to complain about 'not having enough time' in my book.

Further, an interesting thing has come of this - where Voter ID has passed or was already law for a while, minority voter turnout has *increased,* not decreased. So I'm not seeing how this voter repression is working.
I don't really think voter ID will disenfrenchise some voter groups. I used to, but I don't anymore. I think it'll disenfrenchise voters, full stop. I don't really think it will disenfrenchise any specific groups, but it will probably stop people from voting, just the number of people without ID's in states like PA not only indicates that, it certainly guarantees it.

The reason I don't like these laws is not that I think it will stop democratic voters from, well, voting. I think it'll impact pretty heavily on a lot of republican voters as well.

The thing is. The republican party thinks it will stop democratic voters from voting. The GOP thinks this is going to win them the election. So does liberal pundits like Rachel Maddow, but then again, if Obama did something like this I don't think Bill O'Reilly would be a silent witness either. But I digress.

The republicans think this will win them the election. I disagree with them, but I think they really believe it. And that makes me sick. If you're willing to try such schemes to win an election, you're really not fit for purpose.

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done."

Mike Turzai, Pennsylvania Republican House Leader

He said it, the meaning of said quote is absolutely clear. They think this will win them the election. I'm finished playing nice, they are dishonest, and people should stop excusing them.

It won't win them the election. But they think so.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm really that happy with voter challenging. Conservative groups say they will attempt to challenge voters all over the country come November. Last time around, the groups in question were accused of harassing voters. Especially in certain districts. I'm not fluent enough on the subject to write at length, but I'll try to dig a little further.

Oh, that reminds me. I was planning on replying to your Custer post on the other thread, nomix, but I can't because every time I read it, I can't stop laughing at just how inaccurate it was. Starting with the fact that Custer wasn't a general at Little Big Horn, he was a Lt. Colonel under the command of several other officers. Further, his command was the best supplied in the US Army at the time, and the rifle swap (you got both the rifle and the reason it was present and why it jammed and why they couldn't clear it totally wrong) wasn't his idea. The rest of your post was even more laughable and honestly I cannot stop rolling on the floor while reading your vehement indictment of 'facts' that are completely wrong. Go read the Wikipedia article on the Little Big Horn debacle to see just how completely wrong you were, please.

Lt. Col Custer's very bad day was initially the result of a massive intelligence failure that he was not responsible for. He unknowingly compounded the staff error by trying to be too stealthy and ordering the troops to leave their rattle-prone M1860 saber kits home and instead solely trusting the Department of the Army's new rifle and ammo selection. He left the Gatlings behind because they were slow - they were carriage mounted guns that had to struggle to keep up with infantry, and could not in a million years keep up with his cavalry outfit, especially given that his intel and his orders dictated a fast, quiet punitive raid against a numerically inferior to only slightly superior Native force. The orders and the mission were assigned by others.
I do know what a Gatling gun is. I do know it's size. I even think I've stood beside one once, just can't remember when. Yes, they would have slowed him down. But Gatlings would probably have saved his men. The man was stuck in a glorious, but downright silly mentality, and that's why he didn't bring the Gatlings. If he had, his men might have survived. I'd say that order didn't exclude the possibility of a slower advance. It didn't specify a time scale. Man was ambitious.

?It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.?

? Ronald Reagan
Yeah I know, Reagan said a lot of bullshit. Great man in a lot of ways, but he did spew a great deal of bullshit.

The thing is. The republican party thinks it will stop democratic voters from voting. The GOP thinks this is going to win them the election. So does liberal pundits like Rachel Maddow, but then again, if Obama did something like this I don't think Bill O'Reilly would be a silent witness either. But I digress.

The republicans think this will win them the election. I disagree with them, but I think they really believe it. And that makes me sick. If you're willing to try such schemes to win an election, you're really not fit for purpose.

Er, what? The Republicans at the national level have plenty of evidence that it does NOT suppress Democratic voters. In fact, it *increased* Democratic turnout in Indiana.

There are some dumb ones around that think it does that. They're idiots. They're not the national leadership. Further, at the state level, many Democrats agree that Voter ID is required. See Rhode Island, Kansas.

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done."

Mike Turzai, Pennsylvania Republican House Leader

Yes, and Democrat leaders have never said anything stupid either.

"You know, Ted, a few years ago this guy would have been carrying our bags."

Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy about Obama. I don't think I need to tell you who these people were.

?I?ll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.?
Lyndon Baines Johnson, Democrat President Of The United States about his Great Society plan.

Oh, wait....

That being said, I'm not sure I'm really that happy with voter challenging. Conservative groups say they will attempt to challenge voters all over the country come November. Last time around, the groups in question were accused of harassing voters. Especially in certain districts. I'm not fluent enough on the subject to write at length, but I'll try to dig a little further.

Liberal groups have challenged voters in the past for less reason. This is nothing new other than the media complaining bitterly about it. Just like they complained bitterly about how Diebold was one big conspiracy - until they won. Then magically all the problems with Diebold vanished from public view despite the actual fixes not having been implemented in most cases.

I do know what a Gatling gun is. I do know it's size. I even think I've stood beside one once, just can't remember when. Yes, they would have slowed him down. But Gatlings would probably have saved his men. The man was stuck in a glorious, but downright silly mentality, and that's why he didn't bring the Gatlings. If he had, his men might have survived. I'd say that order didn't exclude the possibility of a slower advance. It didn't specify a time scale. Man was ambitious.

Once again, you have assumed facts not in evidence and made assumptions based on a one-time observation that don't correspond with reality.

These were the orders he was given:

Headquarters of the Department of Dakota (In the Field)
Camp at Mouth of Rosebud River, Montana Territory June 22nd, 1876

Lieutenant-Colonel Custer,
7th Calvary

Colonel: The Brigadier-General Commanding directs that, as soon as your regiment can be made ready for the march, you will proceed up the Rosebud in pursuit of the Indians whose trail was discovered by Major Reno a few days since. It is, impossible to give you any definite instructions in regard to this movement, and were it not impossible to do so the Department Commander places too much confidence in your zeal, energy, and ability to wish to impose upon you precise orders which might hamper your action when nearly in contact with the enemy. He will, however, indicate to you his own views of what your action should be, and he desires that you should conform to them unless you shall see sufficient reason for departing from them. He thinks that you should proceed up the Rosebud until you ascertain definitely the direction in which the trail above spoken of leads. Should it be found (as it appears almost certain that it will be found) to turn towards the Little Bighorn, he thinks that you should still proceed southward, perhaps as far as the headwaters of the Tongue, and then turn toward the Little Horn, feeling constantly, however, to your left, so as to preclude the escape of the Indians passing around your left flank.

The column of Colonel Gibbon is now in motion for the mouth of the Big Horn. As soon as it reaches that point will cross the Yellowstone and move up at least as far as the forks of the Big and Little Horns. Of course its future movements must be controlled by circumstances as they arise, but it is hoped that the Indians, if upon the Little Horn, may be so nearly inclosed by the two columns that their escape will be impossible. The Department Commander desires that on your way up the Rosebud you should thoroughly examine the upper part of Tullock's Creek, and that you should endeavor to send a scout through to Colonel Gibbon's command.

The supply-steamer will be pushed up the Big Horn as far as the forks of the river is found to be navigable for that distance, and the Department Commander, who will accompany the column of Colonel Gibbon, desires you to report to him there not later than the expiration of the time for which your troops are rationed, unless in the mean time you receive further orders.

Very respectfully, Your obedient servant,
E. W. Smith, Captain, 18th Infantry A. A. J. G.

So, his written orders told him that he needed to act in such an expeditious fashion to cut off the escape of the Native forces and meet up with the CO. He was issued '15 days rations;' due to undersupply from the government, this was really about 7 days at best. This would seem to indicate that he would need to move with some alacrity. So, let's see the movement rates of the forces involved. Civil War era US cavalry (which Custer's detachment basically was) could make 35 miles in a day without pushing hard in ideal terrain (which operations in this theatre emphatically were NOT). Native forces, being light cavalry, could make maybe 40 or so. The Gatlings, even the lighter ones produced and shipped to Cuba for the Spanish American war almost two decades later (1898) and despite being horse or mule drawn, could barely keep up with infantry (which they had in common with other field pieces). If you assume the speed of infantry during the Civil War, the Gatlings could have made at *best* 15-20 miles per day under ideal conditions. Which, again, these were not.

As the Wikipedia article mentions:
For instance, he refused to use a battery of Gatling guns, and turned down General Terry's offer of an additional battalion of the 2nd Cavalry. Custer believed that the Gatling guns would impede his march up the Rosebud and hamper his mobility. His rapid march en route to the Little Big Horn averaged nearly 30 miles (48 km) a day, so his assessment appears to have been accurate.

Custer did make mistakes, some very bad ones, especially placing his trust in a new and untested weapons system that had just been issued and not keeping the sabers as backup 'just in case'. Leaving the Gatlings behind was not one of them. Despite your assertions. Not to mention that if I recall correctly, should the guns themselves be attacked, he would have been pinned in place to defend them by army directives demanding that the weapons not be allowed to fall into Native hands. Given the numbers facing him, the fact that Native forces would *not* have been driven off by the psychological effects of Gatling fire and the shortcomings of Gatlings of that era, this means that he would again, have been defeated in detail. Gatlings of that type are well suited to ambush and set-piece battles; they are terrible for running cavalry fights - which is why even after Custer's defeat at Little Big Horn, many cavalry officers correctly continued to leave them behind. (Eventually the bad idea of attaching slow artillery to fast cavalry units was taken out back and shot as it needed to be and things like the Gatlings were attached to infantry outfits instead.)

Further, if he had waited for the Gatlings he would not have been able to fulfill his orders. He would have had to wait a day, and then he would have taken at least double if not triple the time to reach his objective. Instead, Custer would now be ignominiously remembered as the horribly overcautious commander who interpreted his orders improperly and acted to ensure his own troops' safety over the needs of the army and the requirement to aid Gibbon's command, who therefore did not arrive in time and therefore left Gibbon's forces to be slaughtered instead. Because if Custer hadn't made it there at that point in time, Gibbon was the one who would have had the axe applied. And Gibbon was actually a *worse* combat commander than Custer; see his conduct at The Battle of the Big Hole: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Big_Hole

Sure, Custer and his troops might have survived by being days late. But he would have been court-martialed and dismissed (if not imprisoned) after his failure got 20-plus companies under Gibbon and Terry killed instead.

Yeah I know, Reagan said a lot of bullshit. Great man in a lot of ways, but he did spew a great deal of bullshit.

And yet... you spewed a lot of shit about Custer that wasn't true in the most certain and definitive tones. So, gee....

Last edited: