US of A Presidential Elections 2012

I love what I'm hearing about the Starbucks presidential poll.

Republican? Here's your coffee in a red cup. Democrat? Here's your coffee in a blue cup. Great! Obama's winning in that one. Haven't seen statewide numbers, though, they should calculate the numbers in Ohio.

I think you're talking about 7-11 http://www.7-eleven.com/7-election/ apparently according to the coffee cups Ohio is going to Obama 57% to 43%

Last edited:
Yeah. But democrats vote early.

How is the coffee cup thing counted? Are they just counting how many of which are sold or does the purchaser have to register on their website?

God DAMN Biden kicked ass. I like Paul Ryan, and I like him a lot more than Romney, so I tried to come in here with an open mind and no preconceived notions, but Biden just stomped all over Ryan like he was made of plastic. That speech at the end?I wish I had the text here, but it was something about the 47% being his parents: I felt the emotion Biden was trying to convey, and I was hoping that would be the singular moment Real Biden and The Onion's Biden would converge and unleash itself in a cloud of Acapulco Gold and Hai Karate.

tumblr_mbrbcnxpa81rg2rf7o1_500.gif

Oh, and this:

?With regard to abortion. I accept my church?s opinion?position?on abortion. Life begins at conception, that is the church?s decision. I accept it in my personal life. But I refuse to impose it on equally devout Christians and Muslims and Jews. I just refuse to impose that on others, unlike my friend here, the congressman. I do not believe that we have a right to tell other people, women, that they can?t control their body.?

But I refuse to impose it on equally devout Christians and Muslims and Jews.

tumblr_mb71gcTXYY1rvq7rx.gif

Anywhere I can catch the debate on a re-run or torrent?

Biden v Ryan transcript
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/u...bate.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0&pagewanted=all

VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN: Well, let ? let ? let me say at the outset that I want to thank you, Martha, for doing this, and Centre College. The fact is that we're in a situation where we inherited a god-awful circumstance. People are in real trouble. We acted to move to bring relief to the people who need the most help now.

And ? and in the process, we ? in case you haven't noticed, we have strong disagreements. But I ? you probably detected my frustration with their attitude about the ? the American people. My friend says that 30 percent of the American people are takers. They ? Romney points out, 47 percent of the people won't take responsibility. He's talking about my mother and father. And he's talking about the places I grew up in, my neighbors in Scranton and Claymont.

He's talking about ? he's talking about the people that have built this country. All they're looking for, Martha ? all they're looking for is an even shot. When they've been given the shot, they've done it. They've done it. Whenever you level the playing field, they've been able to move.

And they want a little bit of peace of mind. And the president and I are not going to rest until that playing field is leveled, they in fact have a clear shot and they have peace of mind, until they can turn to their kid and say with a degree of confidence, honey, it's going to be OK. It's going to be OK. That's what this is all about.

Last edited:
I guess they gave Biden some smart pills before the debate...

Ryan says 23 million are out of work but he and Romney are going to put 12 million back to work.

That leaves 11 million or 47% without a job.

Isn't that a funny coincidence?

Ryan says 23 million are out of work but he and Romney are going to put 12 million back to work.

That leaves 11 million or 47% without a job.

Isn't that a funny coincidence?

Now now, don't let math and logic interfere with political pandering and bullshit! :p

Has he said exactly how? The only exact thing I know is that they are going to cut the subsidy to PBS, has he announced any other 'savings'?

How about plans for kick starting growth, build infrastructure like Roosevelt did in the 30's perhaps?

Yes, he has announced he's thinking about specific cuts. But he's not telling us which ones. Ryan said he won't say what they'll do because he wants to wait until the next congress so he and Romney can talk to the democrats about a compromise, and it's important to keep all doors open.

In the meantime, we're not being told.

I loved how Biden slammed Ryan on the Afghan issue, Ryan kept saying he wanted more troops in Afghan. But Biden just kept interrupting Ryan, annoying.

I think that Afgan issue is now a non starter, if the Taliban take over then it has been demonstrated that they can be kicked out easily, the US has the weapons so to do. If you get embroiled in guerrilla warfare all you get is the expenditure of lives and treasure for no gain. The Taliban can never again take over a country and try to govern it.

But they are a part of the future of the region. They may have become a new Hezbollah, only worse.

The Taliban was defeated the first time by special forces dropped into Afghanistan with suitcases of cash to pay off local warlords and tribal chiefs. Many warlords and tribal chiefs have since decided that a return to Taliban rule will benefit them more than a western puppet Afghan democracy. Outside of Kabul there is no such thing as an "Afghan state", its just a collection of tribal areas of which the leaders only care as far as their tribal borders.

When the west pulls out of Afghanistan it will almost certainly return to Taliban rule, because that is what most of the tribal leaders want. If terrorist organisations start basing there again then we should certainly bomb the shit out of them, but trying to create a western democracy in a place where it isn't wanted is a lost cause.