US of A Presidential Elections 2012

That is not how to do a debate, that is just 'yes it is', "no it isn't". ...

This must be getting the American people no where closer to guageing who will make best as President with the best policies. My condolences.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/10/16/8_crazy_things_americans_believe_about_foreign_policy

Stuff like that makes me a sad panda. How can we function as a representative democratic republic with people that are so fucking stupid.
I dunno, that's how it's always been.

True. But that's only a small part of the bigger problem.

Even if our government gets them to stop doing that (god knows how...) their manufacturing will still be cheaper than manufacturing here.
Yeah, I'd love to see a trade war between the United States and the emerging economic superpower of the world. Or wait, no, I don't want to see that. I want to avoid that. Because it'll give us a new depression.

Oh Mitt, you're so clever. Almost as clever on economy as mr. Ron Paul.

Fox News removed Romney's answer on the gun control question

NYT debate transcript
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/u...bate-in-hempstead-ny.html?_r=0&pagewanted=all
There are things you do not do as a journalist, ever! That's one of them.

I think the president did very well last night. He was on offence, and he spoke to people, not at them. Great form.

Oh Mitt, you're so clever. Almost as clever on economy as mr. Ron Paul.
I think the president did very well last night. He was on offence, and he spoke to people, not at them. Great form.

Wow, hang on a second there...it's DR. Ron Paul :p

And I agree - I think the president did an excellent job last night.

^Is there a full video of his speech there? I love listening to Clinton.

Turning up the disrespect to 11. ...

Ah another Presidential Debate. ?.

Right the problem for Americans as I see it is that Romney with has bat shit insane plans or he's keeping the quiet so as 'not to scare the horses' but he will implement, where as Obama probably has some good ideas that he can not deliver - he's a democrat and they seem to have lost their way as far as delivery is concerned. So anything needing primary legislation is scuppered.

So what to do?

Third party. By the way, there will be a debate between the minor parties sometime soon that will be streamed live on the intertubes.

here is an online debate between Gary Johnson and Jill Stein(audio quality is poor)

but the debate GR is talking about will be Tuesday and moderated by Larry King

Last edited:
^Is there a full video of his speech there? I love listening to Clinton.

Me too. I just left it on and played Angry Birds. He's got a great speaking voice, it's like that favorite teacher you had in the old days, the one who fascinated you.

Other than that, watched the president and the CEO at the Al Smith dinner. Both were funny. Sniggered my way through it.

Their is an update to that story now.

http://notlarrysabato.typepad.com/doh/2012/10/new-information-in-voter-fraud-case.html

This morning I had a chance to interview someone who I will identify for now by her first name. Lucy is a student at James Madison University, and she comes from the Northern Virginia area where she was registered to vote. About 2-3 weeks ago, Lucy saw a voter registration table on campus when she was walking in between classes. She stopped to fill out a voter registration form to change her voting address from her parents house in Fairfax to her dorm address in Harrisonburg so she could vote in person on election day.

Also I find it hilarious that there is a blog called Not Larry Sabato.

Mostly growing up in VA you get a lot of exposure to Dr. Larry Sabato.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Sabato#Notoriety_from_extensive_quoting

The extensive use of Sabato as a "Dr. Dial-a-Quote"[14] has been noted in political media circles and attributed to his easy quotability and ability to offer pronouncements on a wide variety of topics.[3] The Wall Street Journal refers to Sabato as "probably the most quoted college professor in the land"[1][4] and some members of the news media have a rhyme referring to Sabato's availability for a quick quip on politics: "Need a quote/Do not tarry/Call U-Va./And ask for Larry."[15]

The number of times he has been quoted annually has risen dramatically over the years: 78 times in 1992; 122 times in 1996; 179 in 2000; and 344 times in 2004.[2] A 1996 New Republic article found that over the course of just one month, Sabato had been quoted as an expert on a large range of political topics: "Perot's exclusion from the debates, Clinton's policy toward Iraq, Whitewater, Dole's attitude toward pot-smoking, Dick Morris, negative ads, (and) the continued relevance of political parties."[2]

His ability to speak on a wide range of topics had led to a similarly wide range of titles for Sabato, including: "an expert on political scandals" in an article about misdeeds in the Ohio GOP, a "congressional expert" when writing about a congressional election, an "expert on presidential affairs" when writing about a presidential visit, and "an expert in opinion and opinion making" when discussing Katie Couric's declining ratings.[16]

I met Larry Sabato once. He seems like a nice guy but an attention whore for sure. Very smart though and has extenstive knowledge of local and national politics.

I actually had a class taught by Sabato's counterpart at Virginia Tech.

Dr. Robert Denton.

http://www.comm.vt.edu/People_in_Comm/Faculty_Bios/denton_bio.html

Very funny guy. Conservative and smart. Quick wit self made man. I liked him.

He along with two other guys came up with the Be All You Can be campaign for the US Army back when he was a Captain at the pentagon.

Sabato ends up on the local TV news for the eastern and central part of the state. He will be on WWBT NBC 12 in Richmond on election night.

Denton will almost always end up on the local TV news for the western part of Virginia on election night. Typically he would be on WSLS NBC 10 out of Roanoke, VA but I have seen him on other channels.

http://www2.wsls.com/list/news-video/

http://www.nbc12.com/

If you want to get an different perspective on the race try and catch either one of them on election night. Not sure what kind of online video coverage those two sites will offer but you should check them out.

There'll be a lot of voter registration/voter fraud stuff coming up. Most of it will probably be bullcrap, though.

Have to say I wonder exactly how corrupt elections used to be in Chicago. I've got a teacher from Chicago who just managed to work for Richard J. Daley, in a small capacity on the ground. His only big job was to fuck some independant guy running for some council seat or something. Tried to ask him a little about those days, but he tends to agree that "it was kinda corrupt, little corruption never hurt anyone, and it worked".

But I, like any Norwegian, have heard the joke "just filling out Illinois ballots", so I do wonder.

So reading Sabato's Crystal Ball blog he pointed out something I forgot about.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cr...date-in-electoral-college-tie-goes-to-romney/

There is a very small chance, but a chance, that the electoral college can end in a tie. In an oddball election like this is turning out to be with a very divided electorate it is perhaps a bit more likely then normal.

The founders knew this could happen so they came up with a way around it.

In the even of a tie the incoming House of Representatives decides the next president. That means Romney is president because the republicans will most likely control the house. The thing is it is not each individual congressperson voting it is each individual state delegation voting.

There are 50 votes total to be case. California with 53 Representative has the same single vote that Wyoming or Alaska does with just one Representative. Can you imagine how bad that would be? I honestly cannot. It would make the aftermath of the 2000 election look congenial in comparison.

Even if the Democrats some how manage to wrestle a huge number of seats from the Republicans and get a majority they would still not control a majority of the delegations. The Republicans control too many large rural states with small populations.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cr...date-in-electoral-college-tie-goes-to-romney/

There is a very small chance, but a chance, that the electoral college can end in a tie. In an oddball election like this is turning out to be with a very divided electorate it is perhaps a bit more likely then normal.

In the even of a tie the incoming House of Representatives decides the next president. That means Romney is president because the republicans will most likely control the house. The thing is it is not each individual congressperson voting it is each individual state delegation voting.

There are 50 votes total to be case. California with 53 Representative has the same single vote that Wyoming or Alaska does with just one Representative. Can you imagine how bad that would be? I honestly cannot. It would make the aftermath of the 2000 election look congenial in comparison.

Even if the Democrats some how manage to wrestle a huge number of seats from the Republicans and get a majority they would still not control a majority of the delegations. The Republicans control too many large rural states with small populations.

Shit :| I hope that doesn't happen then lol.

Even crazier, the Senate elects the Vice President in that situation, and each member gets a vote. That would mean Biden gets elected, so we'd not only have a split government, but a split executive as well (not that it really matters).