US Supreme Court to decide the right to own handguns

nist7

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/25/eveningnews/main3537271.shtml

Washington DC and Chicago are two cities in which handguns are banned. The Supreme Court has decided to hear and debate about the constitutionality of such laws. With a conservative bench, I'm thinking that the justices will help defend the constitution. The actual hearing and decision making will come some time next year.

There is a bumper sticker that sums the issues up quite nicely: If you outlaw guns, then only the outlaws would have them.

What are your opinions on the gun issue?

Not long ago I didn't really care too much about the issue of gun ownership. When the concealed carry law went on the ballots in Ohio I leaned more toward opposing it. But what happened at Virginia Tech earlier this year was a real eye opener. The police, both from the city and the university, failed to protect the students. There's no other way to describe it. When you can no longer rely on the authorities for protection you should have the right to protect yourself. From my point of view there are two ways for the government to ensure the safety of its citizens. They can either post law enforcement officers everywhere or allow people to have some means of protecting themselves. I for one don't want to live in a police state.

The refusal of most universities to allow students to carry weapons on campus infuriates me. Imagine how many Virginia Tech victims might still be alive if even just one student in that classroom was allowed to carry in a gun. Those dead students and faculty obeyed the university rules by not carrying a weapon on campus. The shooter chose not to obey the rules and we know what happened. Not allowing for self defense does nothing but victimize the victims.

Reactions: TC
Oh yeah, Chicago and D.C. are some safe cities alright! :blink:

I'd rather be shot then shanked.

[...]What are your opinions on the gun issue?
... over here, only very few People are allowed to own guns, and there is not much illegal gun-ownerage. And I am fine with that. Few Guns, few killings by guns. I don?t belive owning a gun would/could make my life any safer. I grew up in a not-so-good (to put it nice) Neighbourhood, and even there for the bad guys, a firearm was not to be found (and if it would, everyone in the Neighbourhood would tell and they?ll be in Jail for that).

But again, this is not a vast country, Police can be there quite fast (and we still have enough Police so they actually be quick if you need them) and with even few criminals having guns, there is no real need for Joe-average to have one. With so much Guns already around as in the Us, I?d probably want one too, so I kind of get why you Americans want your Guns. But I?m happy living over here, not really having to fear someone pulling a gun on me ... so I don?t want one. :)

edit: read it again and i just wanted to say, that of course in Germany, there are Problems with illegal Guns, and People who get their guns legally and go nuts. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfurt_massacre It?s not like this is some peaceful Heaven over here.

Last edited:
I'm a responsible gun owner and pistol marksman, I have never done anything worse than getting done for speeding. I'm not a robber, mugger, murderer, or rapist. I pay my taxes. I am working on my doctorate in psychology and short of being a Prius-driving granola-muncher, I'm about as far from a stereotypical "redneck" hillbilly as you can get. I enjoy reading about the aerospace industry, history, and fiction by my favorite authors.

No one in my family has committed a crime greater than traffic violations. My father is a retired US Army Colonel and a respected oral surgeon (and the first board-certified periodontist in the intermountain west), my brother is an active duty 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army and my grandfather was a retired US Army Lt. Colonel.

Does this sound like the profile of a criminal? Then why take away one of my hobbies, as well as making the possession of several family heirlooms illegal? The pistols I shoot stay locked in a safe unless in use at a county owned firing rage, or in-transit to and from the range. These are the same guns my grandfather had modified for target shooting and took to Nationals several times when he was on the US Army pistol marksman team. One of these guns is a Colt 1911 that has been re-chambered to fire a .38 special wadcutter round - it's worth more than my first car. There are several other specialized target pistols in our family, as well as a couple vintage firearms that are worth thousands of dollars each. Will the government that outlaws these one-of-a-kind pistols compensate my family when they confiscate them? Somehow I doubt it will be an amount equal to their worth, and it would be depriving my brother and me from owning an important part of our family history. How will we be compensated for that loss? How about the appreciation of these fine firearms as they age in our stewardship? Some of these guns date back to WWII, others go back even farther. When I become the caretaker of these firearms, I view myself as a steward of a part of history.

If you still think me or my family is a threat to society, just because we own pistols, then you need your head examined.

Last edited:
Penn and Teller did a really good episode of "Bullsh!t" on second amendment rights, i'd recommend looking it up if you get the time.

Personally i wish more level-headed, kind, and intelligent people carried guns. I can't see how making guns illegal does anything but empower criminals.

^ I absolutely agree with you. Here's a question I would love to hear opponents of gun control answer:

Speeding is illegal but people still do it. Drugs are illegal but people buy and use them. Alcohol is (stupidly) illegal for anyone under 21 yet lots of kids drink. Downloading music is illegal but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from doing it. So what makes you think everyone would suddenly stop using guns if they were outlawed?

Penn and Teller did a really good episode of "Bullsh!t" on second amendment rights, i'd recommend looking it up if you get the time.

Personally i wish more level-headed, kind, and intelligent people carried guns. I can't see how making guns illegal does anything but empower criminals.

I love Bullshit. Definitely one of my new favourite shows.

People weren't killing each other before guns were invented, right?

Reactions: Jay
^ I absolutely agree with you. Here's a question I would love to hear opponents of gun control answer:

Speeding is illegal but people still do it. Drugs are illegal but people buy and use them. Alcohol is (stupidly) illegal for anyone under 21 yet lots of kids drink. Downloading music is illegal but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from doing it. So what makes you think everyone would suddenly stop using guns if they were outlawed?

I agree.

I always find it funny when people bring up any statistic on reduced gun crime in countries with more stringent gun legislation. There's just too many guns already in the US for stricter legislation to help anything. If you make guns illegal, then only criminals have guns. Having grown up in some really fun neighborhoods, I've carried a knife for years. At some point I will probably get a Kansas conceal and carry license, but I'd need a handgun first. And no one in my house is comfortable with that, so I'll wait.

In Utah you only need a license to carry a concealed weapon. If you wear a pistol on your belt or carry a rifle over your shoulder there is nothing illegal about it.

...Of course I would think twice about walking into a bank with an AR-15 slung on your shoulder...

You tell 'em uncle Ted. . .

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5HJkp5sY0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

While I don't really like guns, I'm completely against gun control because frankly I think it just doesn't work. The whole "outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns" and all that. But from a friendly point of view, you may not want to use that nutbag as your spokesman.

In Utah you only need a license to carry a concealed weapon. If you wear a pistol on your belt or carry a rifle over your shoulder there is nothing illegal about it.
That used to be legal in Kansas. My dad was a bartender while he was in college, and had a friend named Bill who would "play cowboy" every once in a while. He'd come into the bar, looking like he just stepped out of 1873 with a pair of pistols on his waist. Scared the shit out of anyone who didn't know him :lol:.

Arizona is open carry as well. I really need to buy a holster.

While I don't really like guns, I'm completely against gun control because frankly I think it just doesn't work. The whole "outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns" and all that. But from a friendly point of view, you may not want to use that nutbag as your spokesman.
Crazy Ted, he does have a point in this rant, but I wouldn't want him in office. Always a good show whenever he's on Fox News though.

Back on topic, the most important gun control is done by the owner themselves. You can't buy a gun, then only expect to use it once in a blue moon. You need to use it, know the gun, know how to shoot it properly. And if you have kids the best thing to do is teach them as well, give them a respect for it's power. A bit like driving a car, everyone can do it. The best drivers know how to control it though, it's instinctual to counter steer if they hit start to loose the rear, they know the threshold of the cars braking. They know their personal limits and the limits of the car.

Reactions: Jay

I'd +1 you No Boss if I could...
I'm inclined to agree with both you on all points except using "uncle Ted". In the past he's made some great points, but he can get a bit...fanatical very quickly.

While Ted's specific situation mentioned is a good point for giving cops guns, I talked to police officers who have admitted that many of the cops they know shouldn't be allowed to share a room with a gun locked away in a gun safe, let alone on a holster on their hip.