US To Have Same Limits As Germany's Autobahn?

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Not in a good way, either. Two items:

1) http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/03/15/transcript.fri/index.html - CNN is reporting that the EU is pressuring Germany to impose a nationwide autobahn speedlimit of 130kph or about 80mph, as an "environmental preservation" method. Since Germany, through the EU, has pressured many other EU states into making changes to their own institutions, it is likely that the other EU states will now pressure Germany into imposing such a limit. It is also highly likely that Germany will cave and impose such limits, having steadily increased the number of speed-restricted areas on the autobahn over the past 10 years.

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States#75_mph_and_80_mph_limits - Texas already has the highest posted speed limits in the US - specifically, 80mph - which would place it at the same speed as the autobahn.

250px-Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG

As soon as the Trans-Texas Corridor gets built, it will have an *85* mph speed limit. Note that Montana has repealed "reasonable and prudent" as a speed limit as of several years ago and has a 70mph posted max, though you do not get a speeding ticked if you exceed that speed safely.

Discuss - specifically the irony of the Europeans having a lower speed limit than the US. And the fact that the US will then have more unlimited-speed open road races than the Europeans.

Last edited:
I've heard the Montana one was repealed because of all the europeans coming over and being idiots on it.

It's nice to see Texas is thinking of all those travelers who hate texas (no offense it's a boring ass drive) by getting us out of the state as quickly as possible :thumbsup: If only Arizona and New Mexico would be as considerate.

I have little to say about the autobahn or the reduction of open road races in Europe other than the words of Nelson "Ha Ha!"

Those 80 MPH limits in Texas must be out west where there isn't anything. Though I'm sure that doesn't stop them from driving 80 everywhere else. I remember driving through Dallas at 80 just to keep up. Even at that I was still getting passed.

It does make you a little sad thinking that the Autobahn will not have any unlimited areas. Hopefully the German government will stand up to those EU bullies... :lol:

I've heard the Montana one was repealed because of all the europeans coming over and being idiots on it.

It's nice to see Texas is thinking of all those travelers who hate texas (no offense it's a boring ass drive) by getting us out of the state as quickly as possible :thumbsup: If only Arizona and New Mexico would be as considerate.

Throw in Kansas and Nebraska in as well, 2 extremely painfully boring long straight states to drive through.

Ed

Screw the EU, it?s not the EU, it?s one fag-ass EU minister who tries to get some attention.

Well I'll play the race card :) Isn't that what politcally correct people do when they cannot win a argument by rational means?

Its racist for the EU to pressure the Germanic people(s) into driveing slow, its part of their cultural heritage and must be preserved for future generations.

How you like that guys and gals? :p

This makes me a sad panda, especially after the Northern Territory speed limits.

The worst thing is, that if the speed limits are imposed on the autobahns, they'll take away some of the incentive for buying the fast Mercs and the like. It would kill the German HP race. I could even see the EU eventually limiting all new cars to a certain speed for a similar reason. :(

Come on, don't limit the Autobahn!

Throw in Kansas and Nebraska in as well, 2 extremely painfully boring long straight states to drive through.

Ed

Oh I feel your pain on Kansas. I had to do that in an '04 Chevy Malibu even. Talk about making a bad trip even worse.

Never done Nebraska but got friends from there. Might as well just say the entire midwest and most of the southwestern states.

God this country is a depressing place to drive sometimes. Amazing more truckers don't kill themselves.

How you like that guys and gals? :p

I like your thinking.

Those 80 MPH limits in Texas must be out west where there isn't anything. Though I'm sure that doesn't stop them from driving 80 everywhere else. I remember driving through Dallas at 80 just to keep up. Even at that I was still getting passed.

It does make you a little sad thinking that the Autobahn will not have any unlimited areas. Hopefully the German government will stand up to those EU bullies... :lol:

The 80mph limits are out in West Texas, out on I-10 and I-20 and the like.

As for Germany... they're going to have a lot of problems. They used the EU to bully other countries into changing - now they're going to have to change themselves or a) lose power and influence and/or b) look like hypocrites.

The 80mph limits are out in West Texas, out on I-10 and I-20 and the like.

They must have done that in the last few years. I worked in Houston in 1999 and the first job I did for the guy we drove to Odessa. I remember we found the speed limiter on his then new GMC Sierra on I-10, but not what the speed limit on the road was. That was nearly as boring as the drive across Kansas on I-70 I took last year... :lol:

Montana

Montana

My brother got a ticket in Montana during the time of "no" speed limit. We were driving 130 kph (80 mph) on Highway 212 by Red Lodge. Our speed was deemed not to be "reasonable and prudent." We were returning to Canada at the time and the officer basically emptied our pockets to pay for the ticket on site.

I agree that they reinstated the 70 mph limit just to avoid roadside arguments with foreigners.

On another note . . .

. . . were are the remaining locations in the world where there are no posted speed limits? Is northern Australia still unlimited?

Know what? I don?t even really care. Last time I could go over 130 or 150km/h with my car was quite a long Time ago on the Autobahn. Because of Traffic. And even if you find a some free space on the outside lane, just when you build up some Speed, some slow Car will pull out to overtake a Lorry and you?ll be on the brakes again. Most of the Time, Speed is just limited because of Traffic, and those who then try to go faster are a real risk. Imagine a rather full Motorway or Highway in steady flow and add a Idiot who just wants to go as fast as his car can. :rolleyes: It?s no fun, I can tell you no matter on what side you are.

I allways would like a System that let?s you go fast when the Autobahns are rather free outside the Rushhours, but limits the Speed for everyone when it?s crowded so you can drive a bit more relaxed. That would be ideal.

Yes, i heard that on a documentary about the Autobahn on "Modern Marvels". And it said most of them were actually germans living on the US who wanted to get a feel from back home.

I hope they do impose a limit of 80 in America; I got pulled over for doing that in a 65 on a perfectly clear, straight, empty stretch of road while fully conscious. Though it's my fault, I suppose, I should have seen the guy.

I remember Wyoming had that "reasonable and prudent" thing about 10 years ago. Either way, if America wants to do unlimited speed highways, "reasonable and prudent" isn't the right way to cut it. It's only reasonable and prudent in the eyes of the cop that pulled you over, and there's nothing that could stop him from getting you at 70 or 130mph, if his jurisdiction needs quotas. The quota system itself is terrible anyway, but I don't want to go into that.

How many tourists cite the autobahns as a reason to visit Germany? Though I don't know many people who are willing to spend all that money to fly there just to drive a bit of road, it's clearly an added incentive for people like us to visit. How much of Germany's economy relies on tourism dollars? And how many tourists would be less willing to go if they put speed limits there?

Besides, everybody knows the only reason Germany still exists, like :hammond: said, are the autobahns. And beer, the Nurburgring, beer, car museums, etc. 8)

Know what? I don?t even really care. Last time I could go over 130 or 150km/h with my car was quite a long Time ago on the Autobahn. Because of Traffic. And even if you find a some free space on the outside lane, just when you build up some Speed, some slow Car will pull out to overtake a Lorry and you?ll be on the brakes again. Most of the Time, Speed is just limited because of Traffic, and those who then try to go faster are a real risk. Imagine a rather full Motorway or Highway in steady flow and add a Idiot who just wants to go as fast as his car can. :rolleyes: It?s no fun, I can tell you no matter on what side you are.

I allways would like a System that let?s you go fast when the Autobahns are rather free outside the Rushhours, but limits the Speed for everyone when it?s crowded so you can drive a bit more relaxed. That would be ideal.

As soon as I pass 140km/h, my Foglights are switched on and my hand is on the flash....as soon as some moron tries to pull out he gets "enlighted". Works quite well :D

As for Germany... they're going to have a lot of problems. They used the EU to bully other countries into changing - now they're going to have to change themselves or a) lose power and influence and/or b) look like hypocrites.

Err... where the hell did you get that information from. We bullied other countries into changing? Seriously mate, that is utter bullshit.
Germany is and was always the largest payer of the EU, we always paid a lot more than everyone else and get only a tiny amount of it back.
Despite having more citizens than any other EU country we dont get more votes than the other ones, in the most important organ it is that every country has one vote, so we lose big on that too.
Seriously, before making such wild claims be sure to check your information.

Apart from that it wasn't THE EU who asked for speed limits but it was that insane greek environmentalist guy who wants us all to drive Priuses. Apart from that the whole issue doesn't even come close to the EUs competence.