USA/World: What do you think about Germany? And the other way around...

I am a bit confused at the question, are you asking how the rest of the world/US view Germany or in general how does the rest of the world view each other?

I'm asking on the worlds view on Germany.

I think part of it is actually a lack of world education.
college education is undisputably the best in the world

How does that fit together? Okey, not everybody goes to college but is there really such an extreme difference in general education between high school and college?
Our education system is different but "normal" school ends in 11th grade and then you can choose your lessons and somehow "specialize" in these. The last levels do not really contain general education and i thought it's the same with college.

Because the companies are forced to pay their workers actual wages.

Well, the Germans aren't exactly underpaid, too. After all we can afford our native cars, which are much more expensive here than overseas ;) Plus we have about 30 days of paid holidays a year.

Still Germany keeps his posistion as the World's no. 1 exporter.

So it cannot be the wages, my friend ;)

Well, the Germans aren't exactly underpaid, too. After all we can afford our native cars, which are much more expensive here than overseas ;) Plus we have about 30 days of paid holidays a year.

Still Germany keeps his posistion as the World's no. 1 exporter.

So it cannot be the wages, my friend ;)

I am trying to figure out why you said U.S. exports were so poor in the first place. In terms of value of product exported the United States is in the top three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_exports

Exports $1.314 trillion f.o.b. (July 2008 est.)
Export goods agricultural products (soybeans, fruit, corn) 9%, industrial supplies (organic chemicals) 27%, capital goods (transistors, aircraft, motor vehicle parts, computers, telecommunications equipment) 49%, consumer goods (automobiles, medicines) 15% (2003)
Main export partners Canada 21%, Mexico 12%, China 6%, Japan 5%, United Kingdom 4%, Germany 4%
Imports $2.13 trillion f.o.b. (2007 est.)
Import goods agricultural products 5%, industrial supplies 33% (crude oil 8%), capital goods 30% (computers, telecommunications equipment, motor vehicle parts, office machines, electric power machinery), consumer goods 32% (automobiles, clothing, medicines, furniture, toys) (2003)
Main import partners China 17%, Canada 16%, Mexico 11%, Japan 7%, Germany 5%

I believe he's talking about trade balance.

When it comes to it we're basically on the different ends of a scale. The US imports more than it exports whereas Germany exports more than it imports.

What do I think of Germany?

A country that likes order, precision, punctuality and honest, value based work ethics. They brought those values to America, which is why we are now so industrious. Virtually all the Northern US is the result of what Germans did from the 1600's-1900's.
When parts of France were destroyed in WWII, the French waited around for others to clean up the mess. When German towns were destroyed, the people immediately started cleaning up and rebuilding. GI's were also surprised by how much Germany is like the United States.

But the German people have (had) two little faults; they are (were) naive, and Germany did have the habit of blaming others for their problems. A German can complain about how everything is becoming "Americanized", but their ancestors were the ones who made America what it is today, be it in war or peace.

Coming from someone who is far, far too proud of both TEXAS and America fuck yeah!, I can safely say that I think its perfectly fine to be proud and appreciative of your country and its history etc etc etc. I love getting into(provided they're not too serious) debates/arguments about which state/country is best cuz I love people who can speak passionalely about their homelands. I for one approve of the idiots who paint USA on their stomacjh and make asses of themselves at sporting events, those that protest and are constantly complaining about the government and this an that(so long as they still love their country) and everyone in between except th ones(especially the natives)who say they hate it here and wanna move somewhere else cuz of the accents or how they have better healthcare or shit like that. that infuriates me. AMERICA

and I like Germany. They're so cute.

You mean, Germany isn't filled with this?!

eurotrash_001_001_001_001.jpg

eurotrash.jpg

lederhosen_dlx_red_trim.JPG

Lederhosen_in_Texas.jpg
Oompah_Band_2.jpg

StPauliGirl.jpg

mercedes_benz_c_b163ps.jpg

kraftwerk.jpg

:tease:

*That picture was actually taken in Texas, apparently. YOU CANNOT ESCAPE THE AMERICANNESS!

How does that fit together? Okey, not everybody goes to college but is there really such an extreme difference in general education between high school and college?

In terms of geography and world culture, so to speak, the education the America is very poor. I should not have people ask me if there are cars in Russia. Americans generally know extremely little about the outside world, eg Europe.

Cars in Russia is hilarious.

But seriously, when I was in school History had 2 sections. US History and then World History. It's no surprise to me that most people know only the basic basics of various other countries. You can spend years taking nothing but history classes and still not know anything in the scheme of things. But realistically, history and geography are very close to the most useless subjects you can focus on. I was always fascinated by history, but the knowledge isn't very useful in the real world. Except pissing contests on the internet, apparently.

Those may be isolated incidents but it is absolutely unimaginable that a judge over here would decide on that basis.
Well was there not a France judge who not to long ago threw out a rape charge on the grounds that the woman trouser was too tight, which meant she would have had to taken them off herself. Stupid judges are everywhere. So *nothing* is unimaginable

Well, how do you explain the current economical problems then? ;) And why are the USA so bad at exports? Container ships are going to the USA fully loaded but going back almost empty. I can hardly think of an industrial product produced there, which is wanted in the rest of the world - except some of the computer stuff but I think a lot of that is also made abroad these days.

From what I observed, there has been a steady decline of the "low tech" and everyday technology in the past decades (which has been a traditionally strength of the German small and medium-sized companies by the way, which still are the strongest part of our economy, not so much the big industries like car industry).

And then there's the infrastructure, which seems to be rather rotten. I experienced roads in very poor conditions in the USA and power losses seem to happen on a regular basis. And don't let me getting started about house insulation or eco-friendly fridges and air conditions and stuff. I work for the German branch of American Express and we also receive e-mails from our American colleagues. The best thing they could come up for a round mail on this year's "Green Day" or whatever it is called, was a tip of how to iron your clothing in a way you save energy...

There are some areas where the USA are undisputedly miles ahead of the rest of the Western world - no argueing about that. But there are also many, many areas where they are miles behind.
Well the US is not the only one feeling the crunch, the world is as well. Its just that most tend to look to the US as a gauge on the world market. The strong Euro has caused issues in Europe as well, and in a way is almost help the US in our weak export. I recall not to long ago in news that US Export is up, so this weak dollar is actually having some good effect.

You are right on the fact that the US has made a move to get rip of the "low tech" jobs, the trend is High Tech job and this has been going on for a long time since the 90's. The US felt it needed to report mind power and not goods. Its not a bad idea, we see the US still holds a lot of might in a lot of work sector, but actually with this weak dollar we are again seeing some of the reinvesetment in US mfg., like the recent announcement that VW will open a plant in the US and start building cars here. As for infrastructure that is a state issue so some states will be better or worst then others, and while power issues at time can be hard I think nationwide it is not that bad.

I don't think that's true. While integration is often labeled a problem here and subject to a lot of debates, the truth is that the majority of imigrants does fit in rather well and that there is only a certain part, which is not willing to really intigrate, thus causing problems. And those problems are almost only concentrated on the big cities. I have many colleagues who come from immigrant families (Turkish, Libanese, Polish, Russian) and they have all adapted very well.
Well I think that is a bit of sugar coating on your part, as with your statement that there is a certain part that does not wish to integrate. I feel Europe as a whole, not just Germany, always expected immigrants to just either change their ways to become Europeans or go home. Many Germans expected the Turks to go back after the rebuilding was done after WWII, and as we can see today that is not the case. I have family that lives in Europe, both UK and Germany, and their views towards their adopted nation is a lot different then mine and others I know in the US. Its again goes back to History, we are a nation of immigrants. Today we are having some pains but still the melting pot is still going.

In a way, your post almost highlights the same kind of pride thing many of us in the US are accused off. Nothing wrong with that, chest pumping is nothing new for any country. Like i said in my early post, I think the US gets it a lot because of our recent history combined with our past history of pride. I wish I still has my US History text book, it has this great cartoon some British newspaper printed making fun of Americans back in the 1800s showing a man dressed in his diner gown pulling a gun at the person across from him, shouting "Pass the Salt, please!". Making fun of our gun culture... back in the 1800s.

*is confused by this thread*

I like Americans AND Germans, albeit for very different reasons. Am I weird now?

You mean, Germany isn't filled with this?!

>> PLACEHOLDER FOR LOTS OF STUPID STEREOTYPE PICTURES, MOSTLY TAKEN NOT IN GERMANY <<

Yes, exactly... the same way the USA are not only filled with these:

A%20Christmas%20Cowboy.jpg

cowboy_476x357.jpg

hank_cowboy.jpg

sema_20cars_20043022908121705.gif

2328409851_ef42b4fcef.jpg

rt_redneck3_070709_ssh.jpg

97a45-redneck.jpg

redneck.jpg

fat-guy.jpg

obese-women.jpg

2817226536_7a88dddf55_o.jpg

Dcp01709.jpg

hl2-2-citizen.jpg

2403773490_856c8350ae.jpg

* = The typical American tourist during the Munich Oktoberfest

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

Last edited:
Well was there not a France judge who not to long ago threw out a rape charge on the grounds that the woman trouser was too tight, which meant she would have had to taken them off herself. Stupid judges are everywhere. So *nothing* is unimaginable

I thought we were talking USA/Germany here and not USA/France???

Well the US is not the only one feeling the crunch, the world is as well.

Well, it started over there and of course we are feeling the effects, too. But it is still mainly an American problem at the moment. Our export-orientated economy is currently very active in the new booming markets in Russia, China, India and South America and thus may be able to counteract the U.S. problems rather well in the long run (except for those who are extremely dependant on the U.S. market). And I don't think that the worst part of the crisis has already happened to you yet.

You are right on the fact that the US has made a move to get rip of the "low tech" jobs, the trend is High Tech job and this has been going on for a long time since the 90's.

Now you only have to tell me how you part low tech from high tech.

Aren't modern cars high tech?

What about production machines? Ever wondered how those mobile phones got so small? Well, there is a company in Germany that makes the soldering machines that allow companies like Nokia make such small phones.

Ever wondered how carton boxes are printed - those you carry home your "high tech" stuff in? Well, there is another company in Germany which is the world leader in making printing machines for carton boxes. I suppose you get the picture.

No matter in which industry you look: Everything has developed further and further, mostly by small or mid-sized companies who got the engineering competence and the patents.

Even big companies like Volkswagen are totally dependant on small and middle-sized companies who produce high tech parts for their cars.

What about alternative energies? Windmills, solar cells, etc. Low tech or high tech?

This could go on and on and on but the sober truth is: If you want to survive on the world market, you cannot afford to do "low tech" anymore.

You'll simply disappear...

Well I think that is a bit of sugar coating on your part, as with your statement that there is a certain part that does not wish to integrate. I feel Europe as a whole, not just Germany, always expected immigrants to just either change their ways to become Europeans or go home.

Um, no. Not really. I personally consider integration successful, when people learned the language, try to find or found a job and get along well with their neighbours. Not too much to ask, is it?

I consider it unsuccessful, when they only keep to themselves in ghetto-like neighbourhoods, hang around together in the streets, refuse to learn German, don't look for a job, possibly become criminal, in case if islamic immigrants lock their women into their houses to keep them from the "bad" influences of an enlightened society and generally complain about how badly they are being treated here, while spending their social welfare money.

In a way, your post almost highlights the same kind of pride thing many of us in the US are accused off. Nothing wrong with that, chest pumping is nothing new for any country.

Of course I feel a certain pride for my country the way it is today. I'm proud that we learned our lessons from the past and have become the engine of European integration. Also I'm quite proud of our cultural history in general. But that pride is at all times a little bit spoiled by the terrible heritage all Germans have to carry because of the 12 years of terror in the last century.

And of course I feel a little pride of the fact that we seem to be able to rebuild our destroyed cities a lot faster than you over there (Sorry, could not resist the temptation of putting my finger in that wound) ;)

Last edited:
I have huge respect for Germany.
Amazing engineering skills. All of the rockets and rocket scientist game from Germany that eventually led to man landing on the moon - the proudest moment of the United States.
The most known automatic rifle, the AK47 was based on a German rifle, the StG44.

A lot of great technical things were developed by German engineers, thats why I respect the place.
Of course Clarkson would say that everything was done by Britains but thats another story...

I live in Estonia and during WWII we were occupied by both Russians and Germans at different times. The Russians took everything they wanted from the farmers (animals, food) but the Germans asked if they could wash themselves beside a well.
Even at the time of war the Germans behaved politely and preserved a honorable reputation.

Okey i have another question, inspired by this:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,575696,00.html

It says, that the "unmarried" 17 year old daughter of McCain's Vice President is pregnant, and that this could be considered being a problem, because she's known to be very conservative.

Now i wonder... is there really such a big conservative base that this is worth mentioning? No sex education in school but abstinence should be the "solution" for the pregnancy and STD problems?

I can not understand why there is a debate about that. I only watch American TV series and they are full of "Sex". And since the networks spent a lot of money in producing these series and attracting people to them.
Sex cells... i like it. But are there really people who find that disgusting? I simply can not believe.
E.g. Nipplegate. Was that brought up by media itself, like i see things happen sometimes here, or has anyone really heard sb complaining about that this "accident" happened?

Of course we also have a conservative party, which is in the government (Miss Merkel) that sometimes brings up ridiculous discussion about these topics, but i've never ever met anyone who takes that serious. Not even my grandmothers generation.
Let alone anyone who places his vote on cause of these "values".

Last edited:
I think this is spinning out of control, why not make a "Worlds view on Germany" thread only, leave every other country out :)

America rules the world and it only took us like, 250 years

If you know even a little about history, you will realize that since the beginning of mankind there has always been a dominating force/nation, but it only lasts for a certain period of time.
My point is - don't expect this to last forever.

two words: Levenworth Washington

yep a whole town rebuilt in Bavarian Fashion. Is it based on stereotypes or a nice compliment. All I have to say is I bet they have great pancakes in the Little Poland bed breakfast and oppression. Ok that was a low shot but probably looking at this town would give you and idea of what most think of what Germany should be.

Yes, exactly... the same way the USA are not only filled with these:

* = The typical American tourist during the Munich Oktoberfest

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

Yeah, but we've all seen those before. People in America don't care about German stereotypes because they're so insignificant in comparison. :mrgreen: