USA/World: What do you think about Germany? And the other way around...

two words: Levenworth Washington

yep a whole town rebuilt in Bavarian Fashion. Is it based on stereotypes or a nice compliment. All I have to say is I bet they have great pancakes in the Little Poland bed breakfast and oppression. Ok that was a low shot but probably looking at this town would give you and idea of what most think of what Germany should be.

Well, then probably the USA should be like this in our eyes:

disneyland_map.jpg

HK-disneyland.jpg

It's about the same thing, if you say those Bavarian "amusement parks" should reflect what is German life and culture.

Not to mention that to me as a Northern German it is an insult to be thrown into one pot with Bavarians ;) And vice versa. The Bavarians are also proud of being different from the rest of the Germans :D

Last edited:
Yes, exactly... the same way the USA are not only filled with these:

[buncha images]

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

I didn't see a single piture there that wasn't awesome. If there weren't so many fat, lazy people, there would eb no reason to invent things like this:

sunset1.jpg

Its because of the chubbies wanting to work less and spend more time eating that we have so many fantastic inventions. What would the george forman grill be like if noone was tubby? There would be no reason to have the fat drain right into the pan to drink later!

If you know even a little about history, you will realize that since the beginning of mankind there has always been a dominating force/nation, but it only lasts for a certain period of time.
My point is - don't expect this to last forever.

Well we don't have to boast about our proud history and how we were once a great nation...we're winning NOW :tease:

/AMERICA

Well, to be fair, they're only of normal intelligence.

Monster trucks.

On a more serious note :mrgreen:

[YOUTUBE]U-PjyRwfedk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]M6K8yfQYOTQ[/YOUTUBE]

Well we don't have to boast about our proud history and how we were once a great nation...we're winning NOW :tease:

/AMERICA

Here is a quote from George Orwell's famous book "1984":
"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past."

Mhhh.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I always wanted southern France to be German... it's nice there ;)

JUST KIDDING!!!

USA:
How can you be that nation-confident? I really can not understand it... but we are raised to be... somehow ashamed of our identity here. So it's the exact opposite to America. But how comes? WW2 is the reason for us. But for USA?

This is exactly what i HATE, and i mean that with all the meaning the word possesses, about some Germans, especially Northern Germans. Its this whole "culture means nothing to me" attitude that makes me want to go to Berlin and start stabbing hip-hop wannabee whiteys. I personally think stereotypical Bavarians are the best, i mean anybody with enough confidence in their own country to break all the modern rules of fashion just because it october is good by me. I mean as a American i can't really wear proper shorts, and nore can i wear leather pants, but if i was Bavarian i could do both and be proud of it, manhood intact, so long as i did it at the right time and right place. That just sounds liberating :mrgreen:

Plus i hate fashion.

USA:
This goes from bean-soup in Texas to cars in Michigan with a lot of things in between. I think thats kind of arrogant but as far as i can judge these people really believed in what they said with all(!) their heart.

Its not arrogance until they start insulting other people/stuff, in alot of cases its simply that the people involved have simply found happyness, so why would they mess with that? It also has to do with the atmosphere, its hard to describe, but a well styled car, older, American car with a V8 (or at the very least a burly, pulsating, crackling engine) and ultra-comfortable seats just feels SOOOOOO right in Michigan. They[muscle cars] may be crap dynamically, but they feel perfect in Michigan. Strangely i've never been fond of the way Japanese cars feel in Michigan, our roads just aren't tight or turny enough, and i'm saying this as somebody who a few years ago would have put their life on the line to defend their little old MR2.

Last edited:
On a more serious note :mrgreen:

[YOUTUBE]U-PjyRwfedk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]M6K8yfQYOTQ[/YOUTUBE]

With satire like that, I always wonder if the audience laughs for the right reason...

This is exactly what i HATE, and i mean that with all the meaning the word possesses, about some Germans, especially Northern Germans. Its this whole "culture means nothing to me" attitude that makes me want to go to Berlin and start stabbing hip-hop wannabee whiteys.

Well, first of all Berlin is not Northern Germany. It's Eastern Germany.

I personally think stereotypical Bavarians are the best, i mean anybody with enough confidence in their own country to break all the modern rules of fashion just because it october is good by me.

Speaking about fashion: Tourists get their Oktoberfest outfits from costume rentals, Munich citizens get it from designer boutiques and some spend thousands of Euros for their outfits each year. That's why you can tell the ones who look the most Bavarian, are probably tourists.

Everything is superficial at the Munich Oktoberfest. The main reason to go there is being seen (it's become more and more a society event with lots of V.I.P.'s and celebrities attending to it) and to get drunk as fast as possible. Everything else - including traditions - is secondary ;)

And who the hell said there are no traditions and no folklore in other parts of Germany? Believing that shows complete ignorance - and I mean really complete ignorance. The North has just as many to offer in that area, as the South. Only people do not behave quite so funny and things do not end in a drinking frenzy so much there...

Regional German traditions go back centuries everywhere. It's actually quite annoying that everybody seems to think the Bavarians own the German tradtions exclusively. Annoying and absolute rubbish.

American i can't really wear proper shorts, and nore can i wear leather pants, but if i was Bavarian i could do both and be proud of it, manhood intact, so long as i did it at the right time and right place.

If you wore leatherpants on a normal day in Munich, you would be stared at as much as if you were wearing a cowboy costume in downtown Dallas. In the center of Munich people look like this:
208927846_2f37255539.jpg

Sorry if I bust your bubble but hey... life is not an amusement park ;)

Last edited:
The Bavarians are also proud of being different from the rest of the Germans :D

yeah damn right, screw you northerners with your flat country and weird dutch sounding accents! :p:p
makes me want to go to Berlin and start stabbing hip-hop wannabee whiteys.

I'm with you on that one.
Well, first of all Berlin is not Northern Germany. It's Eastern Germany.

Jaja, immer diese Ossis....
Everything is superficial at the Munich Oktoberfest. The main reason to go there is being seen (it's become more and more a society event with lots of V.I.P.'s and celebrities attending to it) and to get drunk as fast as possible. Everything else - including traditions - is secondary ;)

yeah, I prefer the somewhat smaller surrounding Wiesn's, like the Rosenheimer that's going on now.
If you wore leatherpants on a normal day in Munich, you would be stared at as much as if you were wearing a cowboy costume in downtown Dallas. In the center of Munich people look like this:
208927846_2f37255539.jpg

Actually around this time of year Trachtn are pretty common... but even so, though it's not common you most likely wouldn't get stared at with lederhosn around here, especially going a little bit more rural than big yuppie munich town.

And who the hell said there are no traditions and no folklore in other parts of Germany? Believing that shows complete ignorance - and I mean really complete ignorance. The North has just as many to offer in that area, as the South. Only people do not behave quite so funny and things do not end in a drinking frenzy so much there...

Regional German traditions go back centuries everywhere. It's actually quite annoying that everybody seems to think the Bavarians own the German tradtions exclusively. Annoying and absolute rubbish.

Sorry if I bust your bubble

Sorry if I burst your bubble... but the reason for that is because the Bavarian culture is the best :p:p

There's some national pride for you Americans (and Bavaria hasn't even been a nation for around the last ninety years):
BAVARIA, FUCK YEAH!

Okey i have another question, inspired by this:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,575696,00.html

It says, that the "unmarried" 17 year old daughter of McCain's Vice President is pregnant, and that this could be considered being a problem, because she's known to be very conservative.

Now i wonder... is there really such a big conservative base that this is worth mentioning? No sex education in school but abstinence should be the "solution" for the pregnancy and STD problems?

I can not understand why there is a debate about that. I only watch American TV series and they are full of "Sex". And since the networks spent a lot of money in producing these series and attracting people to them.
Sex cells... i like it. But are there really people who find that disgusting? I simply can not believe.
E.g. Nipplegate. Was that brought up by media itself, like i see things happen sometimes here, or has anyone really heard sb complaining about that this "accident" happened?

Of course we also have a conservative party, which is in the government (Miss Merkel) that sometimes brings up ridiculous discussion about these topics, but i've never ever met anyone who takes that serious. Not even my grandmothers generation.
Let alone anyone who places his vote on cause of these "values".
Well, there is a republican party here, but it's not that big (yet??)

As you can see, folks, Bavarians are the Texans of Germany ;)

which is weird because I'm a New Englander in Bavaria.... so I dislike texas, but like bavaria. Weird huh? Well actually, I love Austin, and some other parts of Texas, but not so keen on much of the rest of the south.

But insofar as the Bavarians are by far the most conservative / right wing part of Germany (not right-extreme, that's east germany) you are kind of correct.

I don't know about anything about Bavarian music, but Texas has given us some of the best: T-Bone Walker, Freddie King, Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland, Stevie Ray Vaughan....

God bless Texas blues!! :D