USB headset not recognized all of a sudden

TerranCmdr

Car(s)
'09 Corolla
Hi guys,

I'm back again with more problems!

So I have an Astro A40 headset. I've used it strictly through USB since the day I got it, with no issues. Windows 7 recognized it right away, no issues, no extra drivers to install. It showed up as "communication device" in my sound settings.

However, now all of a sudden, my headset isn't recognized. When I go to Playback Devices, it's nowhere to be found. As far as I can remember, I haven't changed anything on my computer, and this happened out of nowhere.

Here are the steps I've tried so far to troubleshoot:

• Unplug all USB devices, plug only headset in.
  • Uninstall and reinstall USB drivers
  • Use different USB port
  • Plug headset in through optical (it works this way, however is still not recognized as communication device, so no mic support)
  • Try headset on different machine, works perfectly
  • Tried to find drivers, none available.
  • Tried to reinstall Windows drivers for this particular device, none available
  • Tried removing all USB devices from device manager, including hidden/inactive ones

So, any more ideas before I try a full wipe and reinstall of Windows?

Last edited:
Start -> search for "Device Manager" and try removing it, etc.

system restore to the rescue!

I am having the SAME exact problem with my Hyperx Cloud II, tried everything even a system restore and the problem persists. For sure is not my headset as it is 1month old and I've treated it like gold wondering if the problem came back for you, as for me it'll work every so often but then will cut out and be unrecognized and I have to fiddle with it for a good 30 min average to get it back functioning properly which is incredibly irritating. Perhaps its something with Windows 7? As I have it as well.