USB headset recommendations?

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I have a very nice set of headphones for listening to music but I also have a very basic Logitech USB headset that I use for gaming. It works fine but it's not over the ear which makes it uncomfortable and honestly rather shit. Poor audio quality.

I want to switch to a nicer set of headphones for use when gaming. Ones that go over the ear so they're more comfortable and ones that have better audio quality.

So far I'm looking at these three:

The G35 seems like what I want but I've read reports of a whine in the left ear when the mic is in use. Lame.

The G930 looks cool but I'm worried about weight (boo), 2.4GHz interference (apartment complex, but nothing too crazy), and audio quality due to wireless (some say bass is a little lacking).

I've never heard of Plantronics before but it has a lot of reviews. *shrug*

Does anyone have any feedback on these or alternative recommendations? Note I only want USB headsets. I've had much better results by not using 3.5mm and my onboard for my microphone. Had too many problems in the past with that.

I think loose and galantti have the G930, they can tell you all about it.

Wireless can be iffy, I got wireless headphones for the 360 (straight audio input to a wireless base station) and I get random RF interference. With a 2.4 it might be even worse since damn near everything runs on that band these days.

Had two pairs of G35s before I bought my Beyers. Both were flawless. No left-ear whine to report here.

[in chipmunk voice]
G930's that i have are nice, sometimes microwave sends some interference that makes music crackle, but i need to be next to microwave.
Also i think some of my new neighbors have some cheap microwave or really powerful bt tranceiver next to my wall so the connection stops for 5secs.

the 7.1 "surround", i use that with bf3/4 and some of my other games, but after hearing some hours of that and then swap to stereo it the stereo sounds bad (but only for some couple of minutes).
For me it helps me pinpoint where someone is a little bit better than stereo-mode, but its still not as good as a proper 5.1/7.1 setup.

I listen spotify with these and i like the 320kbit music and watch youtube videos with stereo sound.
the batteries work "upto 10hours", but i always end of the day (or between gaming sessions) plug in the usb-cable from the station that has the transceiver and let it charge.
If i need to get some refreshments while its charging, i just unplug cable and plug it back in after coming back.

[/in chipmunk voice]

I have the G35, never experienced any left-ear whine. I'm quite abusive with my headsets, so my first G35 broke (one of the earmuffs came off from the rest of the headset) shortly after the warranty expired, but Logitech was awesome enough to replace it for free despite that. They now have 3-year warranty on all their products, so you shouldn't have any problems there. The only real issue I have is that the cord can be troublesome at times - it tangles quite easily and as a result, the material covering it begins to wear in certain spots over time. Not a big deal mind you, but the G930 would solve that I'd imagine.

Cool, thanks guys! Sounds like the G930 might be a great fit.

One last question: are they heavy or light? Worried about battery weight. :)

They weight about the same as a my creative fatalities, and I don't feel that these weight too much and they don't feel uncomfortable after using them for hours (YMMV).
If you can go test fit them.

I've never had major complaints about the weight of my G35, and I tend to wear them for prolonged periods of time. But the G930 might weigh a little more as a result of the batteries.

I've never had major complaints about the weight of my G35, and I tend to wear them for prolonged periods of time. But the G930 might weigh a little more as a result of the batteries.

Yeah, I wasn't concerned about a wired set but did worry about the wireless due to the batteries.

I ordered the G930. We'll see how it goes!

Just got the G930's today. They are nowhere near as good of audio quality as my Audio-Technica headphones of course but they are miles ahead of my old headset! Comfortable, great mic, all the built-in controls, wireless, etc. It even uses my G19 keyboard's display to show status messages like when I toggle surround. So cool! Thanks guys! :)