USB Mass Storage Trouble

Hercules286

...so my laptop (Acer Aspire 3020) is acting... unpredictably whenever I insert a USB Mass Storage device in its USB port. Sometimes it works, sometimes it says "Cannot recognize USB, GFY. And oh, by the way, here's a driver for unknown devices that does nothing and only gets in your way" which isn't very nice of it. It does that with a variety of devices and so far I haven't been able to notice any pattern on what works and when.

So, I deleted all USB drivers from Hardware Manager and that worked... 2 times until it acted up again. So I deleted them again. No effect. Then I repair-installed XP (yea by the way it's XP SP2). That didn't work either.

So I installed another version of XP called Black Edition. That worked once, and then I got the Unknown Device bull again. BTW, I wouldn't recommend XP BE.

My GF says it acted up with the mouse yesterday, but when she restarted the PC the problem went away.

Any ideas?

jensked

So it doesn't really have to do something with the device itself (it also happens with ze mouse)...

Maybe Acer has something on their website about it? Or download the USB drivers from their website. Maybe those are newer and work better.

Hercules286

I tried all ports and no, Acer have nothing in the way of chipset drivers on their website.

They DO have a new BIOS version there, though. Could that work? (I'm not at home so I can't try it)

cvrefugee

Car(s)
2005 Scion xB
To rule out a software/driver issue, burn a Live CD with Ubuntu or Knoppix and see if the USB ports work in a different OS environment (other than Windows).

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
That's happened to me a few times. There's something flaky with the hardware somewhere along the line. It could be as simple as using a different cable.

Hercules286

That's happened to me a few times. There's something flaky with the hardware somewhere along the line. It could be as simple as using a different cable.

Actually, I never thought about the cable. o_O That's an excellent point there. Thanks, will try.