USB Stick recognized as 2 drives - how to undo?

thomas

Grouchy Beemer Owner
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
E39 M5, '94 Cadillac Fleetwood, '21 Focus Wagon
Hey there!

A coworker handed me a USB stick in order to turn it into a copy of the default test-stick around here. I then noticed that it seems to have two partitions.. but not just partitions.. its effectively recognized as two devices with each half the capacity. Its listed twice in the w7 device manager, w7 drives management, w7 DiskPart, w8/PE5 DiskPart, MiniDisk Partition Wizard, CheckFlash, Ghost 11.5 under DOS and xfdisk under DOS 6.22. And regular fdisk under DOS 6.22 won't recognize it at all. I low level formatted both, cleaned and deleted partitions with all used tools, the fact that its recognized as two devices did not change.

So: What tool to use to change the way the drive is recognized, not just handle the partitions..!? Any suggestions? Maybe something via registry? I am sure a Unix/Linux-platform would provide a usable solution, but I don't have anything alike at hand and I'd like to avoid a massive download due to the crappy connection here.

Any ideas?

Regards
Thomas

Isn't one of those sticks that also have a microSD card reader built in?

nope, one of many of its kind flying around here. Nothing of value or anything, I could just throw it away and use a new one, but I'd rather solve the issue for my curiosities sake :D. Its a Transcend JF V30 1GB that shows as 2x 512MB.

Well that was a pleasent surprise. Looked it up, found it, tried it, worked! Perfect! Thanks for the tip. I'd have never found that tool on my own. :D

search for some tools called mass production tool, for v30 is "mass production tool for AU6983".

Well that was a pleasent surprise. Looked it up, found it, tried it, worked! Perfect! Thanks for the tip. I'd have never found that tool on my own. :D

Nominated for most helpful answer by a member with less than 5 posts :lol: