Used cars with crazy asking prices

Shawnw

Car(s)
07 Accent Hatch
When scanning Craigslist and the local classified sites I'm always blown away by the crazy prices being asked of particular models.

Around here I first noticed it with Toyota 4X4s. They may have done half a million kms and are many are mostly rusted away but they are advertised, and seem to sell for crazy prices.

Is this a local phenomena or is it everywhere? What cars and truck go for silly prices where you live?

http://comoxvalley.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1750865826.html

http://comoxvalley.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1713136321.html

http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1698074040.html

Nope, not a local phenomenon. Happens a lot with idiots trying to sell their Jags without checking to see what the real resale values are. If it's got a leaper, it must be a classic and therefore worth a lot of money, right? (No.)

There's always some vehicles where people try to sell them for stupid amounts of money. Fortunately, most of them don't get any takers.

Edit: For example, here are some people that are completely insane.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/1715296133.html
Asking more for his car than the frigging Jaguar dealership does.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1736847995.html
Pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Around here people are just insane when it comes to trying to sell a car on craigslist. While I was hunting for the latest LeMons car I saw countless postings for shit like an 85 Buick Regal with rattle can over rust paint job and 24 inch spinners with an asking price of $6,500. Some people have the balls to ask for more than twice the blue book value of their shit heap. Of all the GTP's I saw, all of them were in the $1,500 to $2,500 range or more, even ones that had been wrecked.

I've never understood why original Minis cost so much (in the UK at least - I've no idea how much they go for elsewhere). This one may be a very late model, but its basically no different to the original design, its just the engines that are new. Sure its kinda cool to have a Mini, and you pay a lot for the privilege of owning one. But still, thats a lot for such a car.

[?6,900] 2000 Rover Mini Cooper
It isn't even a special one - just a bog standard one thats been restored.

I have a mate who has a 1993 one similar to this; he paid ?1400 for it, but it was in a slightly sorry state (only cost him a couple of hundred to get looking nice though).

I know a stupid and pointless comparison, but there's a Mini Cooper 1.3 on there for ?4,750 which is the same age as the Kangoo (V plate). Our Kangoo is only worth about ?700, so you pay a lot for the badge in that, beacause you certainly don't get anything in comparison to practicality. :lol:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I really don't think its worth this much for a very common icon. Sure its one of the most famous British designs ever, but you certainly aren't paying for the car. Or do you get a boot full of gold with everyone?

MR2s are just as bad..the owners think they're rare just because they're discontinued, which is not true, and ask crazy prices for non-turbo automatic cars just because they've dumped money into cosmetic mods. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/1751726481.html started off at 8500 in February and is still asking way too much.

Classic minis sell for $8k-$10k around here. Though all the ones I've seen are (or close to) concourse cars.

MR2s are just as bad..the owners think they're rare just because they're discontinued, which is not true, and ask crazy prices for non-turbo automatic cars just because they've dumped money into cosmetic mods. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/1751726481.html started off at 8500 in February and is still asking way too much.

Ha.

VERY RARE 1992 Toyota MR2 non turbo it runs fast and strong the motor is a swap with only 75 miles on it i have paper work of motor the body has 180 miles !!!!!

Stuff that MR2 has:

17" gold racing rims with a very big lip on it....
it has greedy muffler....
DURAFLEX Body Kits they are not put on jet they are new in the box....
the JDM WHEEL+HUB+QUICK RELEASE,....
4-1 STAINLESS STEEL HEADER,....
AIR INTAKE,....
F1 CARBON FIBER SIDE VIEW MIRROR....
T-Tops .....
sony radio with ipod and USB on it and it has good music on it
Drill Slot Brake Disc Rotors FRONT and Back

The car is almost mint it has a rust pot on the back fender but i have the panel for it i will trow in and the door has a rust pot but i have the door to so i will give you everything all you have to do is put it on
i will tared for a Toyota Supra, a Nissan 240SX, Nissan Skyline,Acura NSX, Acura RSX or ACURA GSR, LS Turbo, Del sol with a swap, Honda Civic with a swap turbo or hatch, Honda accord with mods or a Smart Car, WRX,3000GT, GST, just send me pics of what you have !!!! and i will get back to you !!!!!!! My Email dipshit@yahoo.com!!!!!

Yes I am sure he will.

Last edited:
Happens a lot with idiots trying to sell their Jags without checking to see what the real resale values are. If it's got a leaper, it must be a classic and therefore worth a lot of money, right? (No.)

You don't have enough "a"s in Jaaaaaag.

Someone tries to sell a 1995 Opel Corsa 1.0 with no extras and 140.000km for ... 3800? at my uni. Yup. :D

My grandma still has my granfather's original 1960's Mini in her garage. I would imagine it would be worth a fair bit.

As far as ridiculous prices, I saw 2 the other day- a 1997 Subaru impreza RX with 160000 km for $8500 (you can get much better examples for 2 grand less) and a 2002 Lancer with 72k on the odometer for $9500 (you can get Getzes with less k's for less!).

Subarus are about the same price here ($6-$7k) for the same millage. They hold their value well.

A dealer here is asking $7k for a TR7. :p If it was a concourse condition car sure, but not what they have.

This is so true... People think that just because they maintain their 1999 ford explorer with 150000 miles that the can go selling it for 10 thousand

An extreme example are the people trying to sell Harley Davidsons. They almost always want ridiculous sums of money and then wonder why nobody's interested in their special little snowflake of a motorcycle and lifestyle.

Corvettes are about the same. Think they have a one in a hundred car that was plated in gold or something.

A similar thing happens here with many HSV (Holden Special Vehicle) models, especially older, less exclusive ones, such as mid-late 90's non-R8 Clubsports that have done well over 200,000 k's with ugly modifications and sometimes obvious panel damage going in the local paper for around or even over $15K AUD.

They're generally almost worded like: 'LOLERZ I HAS FULLY SIK HSV!!11e' - You know, that sort of thing.

WAT.

Last edited:
Corvettes are about the same. Think they have a one in a hundred car that was plated in gold or something.

I love how a color scheme is considered reason alone for a car to be unique. I've met some dip shits who are the same for lesser cars.