Usenet

bigfoot1942

does anybody here use Usenet? Ive recently discovered it, and it goes at the maximum speed of my connection all the time.
The other big advantage is you can use your upload for other usefull purposes, since usenet hardly requires any upload, since its not p2p.
My provider runs a good newsserver, so its free for me ;)
btw i use NewsLeecher, i can recommend that to everybody.

oh and btw i found out the Top Gear episodes are posted on usenet as well.

I fiddled around usenet years ago. Lost access to all decent news servers(the ones with binary newsgroups, that is :wink) so I haven't gone back.

I do like usenet, though, and wish that I will get an access to a decent server. There's a huge knowledge base in there and whatever comp problem I needed help for was solved in minutes after asking help from some comp.something groups.

My university internet connection blocks any usenet group with the name 'binaries' in the address, so Usenet is pretty much useless to me. :?

Back at home I use Usenet occasionally, but its a bit of an archaic system now. 10 years ago I used to use it all the time, but thats because it was the only place you could find MP2s (and yes, I was downloading music before the MP3 format was even released 8)). I don't really ever have a use for Usenet anymore with DC++ and BitTorrent.

yeah well, wish I had access to a decent server but none are free so I get my stuff through BT and emule/edonkey.

DC++ hell ya my school has a campus hub 120 users and 7.25 TiB of shit has everything i want. If its not there i go to Bittorrent

for those who dont have any servers: try news.txucom.net (6 threads max), i get average 30/40 KB/s from it. Thats not really bad imho ;) and perhaps one of you finds more free servers...

bigfoot1942 said:
for those who dont have any servers: try news.txucom.net (6 threads max), i get average 30/40 KB/s from it. Thats not really bad imho ;) and perhaps one of you finds more free servers...

Cheers for the addy. I'll check it out...

Re: Usenet

bigfoot1942 said:
The other big advantage is you can use your upload for other usefull purposes, since usenet hardly requires any upload, since its not p2p.
This is one of the reasons why I use it every once in a while.
bigfoot1942 said:
btw i use NewsLeecher, i can recommend that to everybody.
I use nbpro, another good proggie.
bigfoot1942 said:
What newsgroup did you see them in?

yeah verizon has good newsgroups.
optonline has shitty ones.

i use em all the time =]

Re: Usenet

ESPNSTI said:
bigfoot1942 said:
What newsgroup did you see them in?
all with thanks to the supersearch option in NewsLeecher:
about 8 days ago there have been posts of topgear.partx.rar in alt.binaries.x
also about 8 ago and 5 days ago there have been posts of clips of topgear and fithgear in alt.binaries.automobiles
about 7 days ago there have been posts of Fifthgear series 2 episode 7 in alt.binaries.multimedia
The 2004.11.21 Top Gear has been posted 5 days ago in alt.binaries.nl and also in alt.binaries.multimedia.

My ISP doesn't provide news group access and I wasn't aware there were free servers...