User Reputation Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be an interesting experiment. I just hope that Karma is awarded for contributions, such as news stories and spy shots rather than as a tool to "smite" those with different opinions.

I guess if this goes horribly wrong, you all know who to blame. *ducks*

It's nothing besides a buddy meter and useless clutter in my opinion.

It's a nifty feature, but I don't see what purpose it serves. It's basically just a popularity contest...

Complitely agree with both statements. It's not a highschool, why do we need it? If you have an opinion about a certain member, keep your opinion to yourself, thankyouverymuch. And because we have an established core-group of regularly posting people, there's isn't much of an issue figuring out who's posts to value more.

There's no need to bring personal conflicts outside certain threads or certain forums (and cmon, you know that's where most votes will come from).

I'm slightly for it as it's a better indicator than post count.

I think you play MMORPG's too much :)
Indicator of what? Importance? IQ? If that's what post counts are for, I'd better do without them as well. There's no place for character development on online forums in my opinion...

Maybe majority doesn't share this opinion... In that case have fun playing this popularity contest as teletubby put it. I know I wont be giving out any votes.

So with this feature back - will people ONLY give positive feedback out of fear of being retaliated against if they were to give a particular member negative rep points? I hope not because I won't hold back and I will use this feature for what its worth. Only time will tell...

Overall its good to have this feature back - I approve :thumbup:

^ It doesn't show who gave you the vote though, so how could they retaliate?

^ It doesn't show who gave you the vote though, so how could they retaliate?

I guess only admins/moderators can see who gave the reputation point because it doesn't say who gave it in my User CP.

This will be an interesting experiment. I just hope that Karma is awarded for contributions, such as news stories and spy shots rather than as a tool to "smite" those with different opinions.

That's what I was thinking too. Just because we don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't mean we should seek to ruin their "reputation".

Maybe I'm missing something, but my User CP doesn't show me the usernames?

Mine doesn't either. Just the Thread, Date, and Comment columns are there.

I guess only admins/moderators can see who gave the reputation point because it doesn't say who gave it in my User CP.

Maybe I'm missing something, but my User CP doesn't show me the usernames?
Hhmmm, interesting :think: Well vRS isn't a mod and he could view the names of those who gave him points...

What about you other members??

Damn this thread moves at the speed of light... which my astronomy notes for tomorrow's test tell me is 300,000 km/second!

Mine doesn't either. Just the Thread, Date, and Comment columns are there.

Hhmmm, interesting :think: Well vRS isn't a mod and he could view the names of those who gave him points...

Yes, but the screenshot vRS posted is from another forum :)

Perhaps you didn't have any rep? Look now.

But the picture vRS posted is from a different forum... so maybe Viper just did the settings differently. I know you can see the usernames on another vB board I used to browse.

Yes, but the screenshot vRS posted is from another forum :)

But the picture vRS posted is from a different forum... so maybe Viper just did the settings differently. I know you can see the usernames on another vB board I used to browse.
My mistake :oops: Didn't notice it was from another forum. All vB forums look alike :p

I think I recall voting against it - but if others want it what's the harm. Personally, I probably won't take much notice of it - but that's because I already know most users and therefore which ones to respect and which ones to ignore. But for new users it could be useful.

I think the system works best for a different type of forum... maybe a car forum or something where people give each other advice and can get/receive reputation based on that.

On a board such as this most of the discussions are banter and good times, so the reputation system is at higher risk of becoming a buddy meter.

But in general doesn't bother me, just thought I'd share my views towards it.

I don't think this feature is needed.

One might argue its useful for new members to judge the quality of the person who made a post, but they should instead simply judge the post quality itself and make their own conclusions. And those who've been around for a while tend to get a good idea about who's worth listening to and who isn't. I have my own opinions and judgements of most regulars here now and this reputation feature wont change that. As Teletubby and MXM have said, it's simply a popularity contest, and if having a massive rating helps you sleep at night, then all power.

If we DO keep this I'll make it a point to give recognition where It's due esp. the new guys who haven't really established much credibility with the board; it kind of eliminates the middle man of trying to remember the stuff X member posted to guage wether anything he says is crap or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.