using Top gear language in everyday conversations

^ I thought I was the only one who did that.. phew

I've begun to use "ise" "zed" etc, as well. I even get annoyed when people say "ah-loo-minum", immediately snapping to what I perceive as the correct "al-yew-minium" pronunciation. Mind you, I did grow up with English parents, so I have a natural tendency towards the Queen's English ;)

the al-yew pronunciation is completely wrong. I think it's the only british word that they seriously just came up with out of nowhere. Look at the actual word, Aluminum I see no second I.

/rant

the al-yew pronunciation is completely wrong. I think it's the only british word that they seriously just came up with out of nowhere. Look at the actual word, Aluminum I see no second I.

/rant

Surely, with as much knowledge as that, you must have written your own English dictionary? Do you teach English classes?

It has more to do with the English originally being correct, but (like most things) it got lost in translation when it crossed the pond. :p

Surely, with as much knowledge as that, you must have written your own English dictionary? Do you teach English classes?

It has more to do with the English originally being correct, but (like most things) it got lost in translation when it crossed the pond. :p
In British English (I hate that - thank you Mr Gates) its spelled Aluminium not Aluminum, hence the pronunciation difference.

Wrong. Technically, they're both wrong, but "aluminum" came first.