using Top gear language in everyday conversations

Carsightings

today my friend needed some advice on a new cell phone. he asked me about a samsung ... and i said: " well in esence what you get is the older samsung.. which has been turned into a bigger and uglyer phone with less features and a mindblowing price tag". he then said:" wow ! you sould like jeremy" :lol: i was so happy.

did or does this ever happen to you? and what "top gear phrases" do you you use when talking to people?

I find myself talking to people a bit like James, which is embarrassing when your talking like a 42 year old when in fact your a 15 year old girl. :blush:

Carsightings said:
can you elaborate?

I start talking a bit posh and can become a bit anoraky and start going into more detail than the person listening to me is interested in.

Has your friend started calling you Jezza now?

i talk using british words instead of american ones. like i say bonnet and boot instead of hood and trunk

I've been doing some of that too, leaning more towards British (proper :p) English. Especially after watching so much TG. I fear I also use some TG-style language when I'm talking to people, the other day I said "Driving a Toyota is like driving a washing machine".

bartboy9891 said:
i talk using british words instead of american ones. like i say bonnet and boot instead of hood and trunk

Same here! :D

bartboy9891 said:
I find myself doing that, specially since I?m not a native speaker. :lol:

I'm using english terms in my head to describe cars, mainly because I watch Top Gear a lot and the only place where I write and read a lot about cars is here, in English.

Evo7 said:
Carsightings said:
can you elaborate?

I start talking a bit posh and can become a bit anoraky and start going into more detail than the person listening to me is interested in.

Has your friend started calling you Jezza now?

Yikes, I've been doing that as far back as I can remember (35+yrs)...get me started on Geology, Ornithology...or my Scirocco and I can become downright boring. :cry:

Of course around Laguna Seca or Infineon (the real ones) or at local AutoX my passengers become...well, a little annoying....constantly repeating "Oh, sh!t" and "I think I'm going to be sick". :eek:

James Rules!! 8)

I am a combination of all three: im a little spaz like Richard, a bit arrogant about cars like Jeremy, and convey my points like James.

Lusitano said:
bartboy9891 said:

Same here! :D
and same here :thumbsup:
Watching much Top Gear realy influences your language, sometimes I catch myself to talk like Jeremy or James. :p 8)

that happens to me so often. ive even got a bit of a british accent and i compare things that have no connection. the other day in school i told a friend of mine: "this class is as interesting as the daily life of a caterpillar".

^ I've been saying stuff like that for years.

Remember the preview for the 6th season? Jezza randomly says the word "Shiggy" for no particular reason. It kind of stuff, and I used it in public a few times. What the hell is that word, anyway?! :?

i thougt he said "chicy", which is a real word. and it fits well: TVR are cars with some chic. and i use that word as well....