V8 911!

Its an american V8, its heavy, its lazy, low revving etc.. everything the opposite of a porsche engine. Its like shoving an EVO/Jap 4cyl engine in a Ferrari, totally inappropriate. Besides, correct me if im wrong, but isnt the flat 6 engine significantly lighter than the Vette's V8???
No, it's actually a bit heavier. But what makes the big baddie in this case is probably that the weight is shifted further back (larger engine speaking about the space it takes up) and that it's taller. The flat six is just that, a flat six. That's just right in a Porsche, and by all accounts quite a handful still then. So with a higher center of gravity, it might handle pretty.. funny?

It's still pointless shoving a V8 into the back of a 911, for the following reasons.
  1. A V8 is taller than a Flat six, which gives it a higher point of gravity, contribiuting to ruining the handling. That is the strongest weapon in the Flat six' dynamic armoury, it's a very low and compact unit.
  2. A V8 is longer than a flat six, which means it extends further behind the rear axle therefore worsening the weight distribution and also contribiuting to a larger polar moment of inertia.
  3. A V8 is also generally heavier than a flat six, natuarally having more cylinders. Of course it depends on the material it's made of, but still. The old aircooled units were actually quite light, as most of them came as standard with a magnesium cranck case, and aluminium cylinder heads carrying just a single camshaft per bank of cylinders. The cylinders themselvs were steel with a nicasil surface inside.
By the way, when it comes to delivering power (And lots of it to boot) the Porsche flat six is good at that too, just add two of these and it'll do wonders, as proved by the countless of turbocharged Flat sixes Porsche has made both for race and road cars over the past 30 years...

Edit; Didn't see the last page...

Well at least it's original and now it's a typical american car...... hence it can only go fast in a straight line and will end up in a wall at the first corner :mrgreen:

but a rotary engine could be a good and cheap replacement since it is also very light (probably lighter than the flat six)

actually V8 swaps into Porsches are quite common here, and most people DON'T use them for drag racing, but road racing or autocross.

also, as much of a rotary nut as I am, I have to tell you that there are some American V8s that weight the same or less than a 13BT! crazy huh?

How about a 4G63T powered Porsche 911?

1.jpg

porsche1.gif

porsche2.gif

porsche3.gif

porsche4.gif

porsche5.gif

Porsche2-1.jpg

Porsche4-1.jpg

porsche6.gif

porsche7.gif

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Transmission. A C6 Corvette can get 25mpg (US gallon) because of the tall higher gears.

It's been revised to 30mpg, it does require that one drive with the cruise control set and across places like new mexico and texas. Even the 7.0 z06 can do 28-29 (legitimately).

Wow, is it that easy to piss some of you "purists" off? Geez, it's like somebody stepped into the Porsche Club of America in this thread. :rolleyes:

You probably shouldn't look at this then:
(sorry about the large photos)

The moral of the story is: quit being bitches, cars were meant to be modified.

In fact, I want to buy this and show up at the next PCA meet and see how long it takes before they burn me at the stake!

Holy shit! 500 inch caddy! :bow: :bow: :bow: Proof that with enough time and money, you can shove any motor you want into any chassis.

Wow, can you say "Tail Happy?"

i think what you mean is "snap oversteer" a little bit different, In part because snap oversteer kills people

Thank you for typing what I really wanted to say Blake, but don't have the balls to do so.

Hey, it is a American V8 in a Porsche. Hats off to the person who was able to make it work, much less make drivable. Home grown engineers are the backbone of any society, no matter the project. They dare to do what some cannot say should be done, for various reasons.

Another thing to ponder for the ones who disagree with the hybrid: If you are ticked off for someone doing that, you should be hopping mad at Porsche in regards to the Cayenne. Now THAT goes against every grain of the automotive purist...I mean, it is a fucking SUV! Think about that! I damn near wept when I first heard of that monstrosity.

Here's something better for you guys...

http://www.bobnorwood.com/5-liter 288 Power.htm

288%205-0L%20Rear3-4%20Beauty.jpg

It's a 308, accurately converted to 288 chassis/body spec, and fitted with a 302ci Small Block Chevy specially built for the Trans-Am series from the 60's.

Here is another http://www.bobnorwood.com/Terminal%20Velocity%A0%20Norwood%208_2-Liter%20Power%20on%20the%20Salt.htm it's a twin turbo 511ci Big Block CAST IRON Chevy v8 in a 308/288.

Hey, it is a American V8 in a Porsche. Hats off to the person who was able to make it work, much less make drivable. Home grown engineers are the backbone of any society, no matter the project. They dare to do what some cannot say should be done, for various reasons.

Another thing to ponder for the ones who disagree with the hybrid: If you are ticked off for someone doing that, you should be hopping mad at Porsche in regards to the Cayenne. Now THAT goes against every grain of the automotive purist...I mean, it is a fucking SUV! Think about that! I damn near wept when I first heard of that monstrosity.

Yep. Nothing I've seen a backyard engineer due to a Porsche is as bad as what Porsche has done to their own badge.

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about, someone stuck a Chevy in an over priced VW, so freakin' what? :p

Last edited:
Porsche 997 : Porsche M97/01 - 3.6L Flat 6 - 321HP - 444 lbs.
Chevrolet Corvette C6 : GM LS2 - 6.0L V8 - 400HP - 443 lbs. w/auto

http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/?p=634

I know it has been said before but that is pretty miss leading. The engine that came out of that 911 was an air cooled flat six that weighs much less then the water cooled engines porsche uses now. Random Porsche fact when they go racing they still use a modified version of the air cooled block because it is stronger then the water cooled unit.

Secondly that V8 is most likely an iron block unit maybe with aluminium heads and it has what looks like a high rise single plane manifold on it. Now it has been a while since I have played with carbs but IIRC a high rise single plane with a four barrel means the car is set up for drag duty. Either that or the guy just wants to look cool with the high rise.

Maybe someone who speaks Italian could translate the thread for me?

I think it's an odd choice, only because I'm a miser. While the engine might be cheaper, I'm thinking that the net cost of getting everything fitted and working ends up being pretty close to the cost of the Porsche engine. And then in the end you have something that's a much tougher sell.

Sort of an answer in search of a question.

Steve

Secondly that V8 is most likely an iron block unit maybe with aluminium heads and it has what looks like a high rise single plane manifold on it. Now it has been a while since I have played with carbs but IIRC a high rise single plane with a four barrel means the car is set up for drag duty. Either that or the guy just wants to look cool with the high rise.

I think it might just be there to get the intake up into the airflow, but I'm not too sure. I don't really know the airflow characteristics of the Porsche's engine bay, but that'd be my guess.