V8 Engine sound vs V10 Engine Sound

leoparker990

Car(s)
Audi S4, Toyota, Mazda RX8
Why do all V10 engines make the same noise? It's pretty surprising that Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, Ford Excursion V10, BMW M6 V10 and Dodge Viper, they sound very similar. But on the other hand, different V8 Engines make a variety of different sounds.

The short answer is that V8s are the odd one out, and within most engine classes, different engines sound alike. Because of the differences between flat-plane crank V8s (Ferrari, Lotus Esprit, Shelby GT350) vs. cross-plane crank V8s (most other V8s), the firing patterns and sounds are different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_engine#Crankshaft

Considering that the R8 V10 uses the engine from the Gallardo, it's not really surprising that they sound very similar.

A more pressing matter is: why do all motor scooter engines sound like utter garbage and why do the people owning such machines feel the need to make them sound even more horrible by tinkering with the exhaust or removing it alltogether?

A more pressing matter is: why do all motor scooter engines sound like utter garbage and why do the people owning such machines feel the need to make them sound even more horrible by tinkering with the exhaust or removing it alltogether?

It's hard to make a single cylinder engine sound very good. Parallel/inline twins are also on the difficult side. Over there in Europe, you've also got the complication that a lot of the scooters were two-strokes as we banned two-strokes on emissions grounds long, long before you did. As for the people molesting the exhausts - well, that happens on any machine owned by the young. :p

This thread just kicked me in the "I really want a flat plane v8" spot.

At this point I'm craving any V8. Forced induction would be the icing on the cake.

Over there in Europe, you've also got the complication that a lot of the scooters were two-strokes as we banned two-strokes on emissions grounds long, long before you did.

we still haven't! (thank god!)

The sample size is pretty small. You've got three high-revving V10s in Audi/Lambo, Porsche, and BMW and two low-revving V10s in Dodge and Ford.
See also Lexus in the high-revving family.

As for the people molesting the exhausts - well, that happens on any machine owned by the young. :p

I wouldn't call Der Stig "young" :p