VAG boss ' benchmarking' the new Hyundai i30

So how did this thread go from VAG-boss having a look at the i30 to Audi drivers are dicks?

So how did this thread go from VAG-boss having a look at the i30 to Audi drivers are dicks?

Because that's how we roll.

He was benchmarking other products in order to ascertain how to market an item to a non-penile demographic.

That's weird. Around here, it's all German cars (mostly Audis and :bmwpoo:s, but I've caught a couple of Porsches being cocks as well), with a strong substratum of the Retard's Car Of Choice, the Chevy Impala.
There is a very strange population of cocks in the US, it's a subset of general cocks that tend to stick Audi/BMW but they use Japanese/Korean econoboxes. I was even tried to be muscled out by a Prius once, that made me laugh. Plenty of time I would have someone in a Camry (non-V6) or an older Hyundai try to get on my ass and intimidate me. Usually I just accelerate and then laugh when they try to catch up :D

I make fun of my brother for driving around with his front fogs on. Front fogs, or specifically those used when there is no fog, are commonly referred to as wanker lights here. It's a practice used usually by those driving SS Commodores.

I've never understood this line of thinking. Why does having more lights on make you a wanker? They can't even dazzle other drivers, since they're aimed further down than lowbeam headlights.

In germany, it?s even explicitly forbidden by law. So you are a law breaking wanker here when you do that ... ;)
No such law here. I don't really get the hate either, for isntance there is more light coming off the car when my fogs are on but it is aimed down and to the sides so I can see debris in the road better when they are on. Doesn't bother anyone so don't see the problem.

In germany, it?s even explicitly forbidden by law. So you are a law breaking wanker here when you do that ... ;)

Is that for the rear-facing fog light or for front facing ones? I can understand in the case of the former (since it's supposed to be extra bright and pointed at drivers' faces) but not in case of the latter (since they're aimed downwards as mentioned by prizrak).

Is that for the rear-facing fog light or for front facing ones? I can understand in the case of the former (since it's supposed to be extra bright and pointed at drivers' faces) but not in case of the latter (since they're aimed downwards as mentioned by prizrak).
It?s for the front ones too. I get your point, it really isn?t such a big problem ... usally.
http://img689.imageshack.**/img689/8872/kadettbrallye1967.jpg

Front Fog lights aren?t mandatory (here) and aren?t checked like other lights are checked at the MOT (german version), so it?s not said that they are not dazzeling oncoming drivers -as far as the law goes, they could be. Especially in ye olde times when stuff like above was around (yes, those are rally-variants but you get my point), they usally weren?t propperly set up like the ones we have build in today in modern cars ...

Last edited:

The front fog lights are allowed only if visibility is impeded, for example by (duh) fog. Rear fog lights are only allowed in fog (not in rain for example, front fog lights are allowed in the rain) and if visibility is below 50m. Visibility below 50m also comes with an automatic maximum speed limit of 50km/h (unless indicated lower or conditions require slower speeds), even on derestricted Autobahns. Those conditions happen, but are rare.
A general rule, anyone going faster than 50km/h with the rear fog light(s) on is breaking some law. In fact, I would approve of a German-wide software update that bongs at you if you have the rear fogs on at high speed. Alternatively, flash the rear fog dashboard LED irregularly. That'll freak them out :D

At speed I find using the fog lights distracting. They illuminate the road right in front of me, anything I see there is too late anyway. This illumination reduces my night vision, making distant objects harder to spot.
At slow speeds (ie, in fog) the close-range illumination is what I want, obviously.

Last edited:
At speed I find using the fog lights distracting. They illuminate the road right in front of me, anything I see there is too late anyway. This illumination reduces my night vision, making distant objects harder to spot.
Never had a problem with that personally but at the same time the Audi fog lights are referred to as driving lights here and they are not yellow (or blue) on my gen, they are same color as headlights so its a little strange.

Never had a problem with that personally but at the same time the Audi fog lights are referred to as driving lights here and they are not yellow (or blue) on my gen, they are same color as headlights so its a little strange.

Mine are the same colour as the driving lights (= low beams) as well. Here's a diagram (duh) to illustrate my perception:

Compare 1 and 3. You see how the outline of the fog lights (3) is much wider to the left and right, but does not reach as far forwards.
This illuminates stuff close to the car off to either side - at speed I don't need that, it's additional light hitting my eyes resulting in relatively less light received from the objects further away but straight ahead.

On top of that my low beams do not shine down onto the road directly in front of my car much. At speed I never look there directly anyway, anything sitting there gets hit either way. The fog lights do illuminate this useless area quite well, again increasing the overall light hitting my eyes and hence decreasing the relative light coming from the important objects, straight and far ahead.

:hmm: imagine sitting in the cinema. You're watching the screen while someone turns on the stage lights to the left and right of the screen. Your perception of the screen is that it gets darker / loses contrast. The same effect is what I perceive when using the fogs at speed, unnecessary light makes the necessary light darker in comparison.

People with newer high end Chrysler's with that "SmartSense" high-beam all the time system freak me out every time I drive in the opposing direction, the high beams do turn off but it never seems soon enough for me

Mine are the same colour as the driving lights (= low beams) as well. Here's a diagram (duh) to illustrate my perception:

Compare 1 and 3. You see how the outline of the fog lights (3) is much wider to the left and right, but does not reach as far forwards.
This illuminates stuff close to the car off to either side - at speed I don't need that, it's additional light hitting my eyes resulting in relatively less light received from the objects further away but straight ahead.

On top of that my low beams do not shine down onto the road directly in front of my car much. At speed I never look there directly anyway, anything sitting there gets hit either way. The fog lights do illuminate this useless area quite well, again increasing the overall light hitting my eyes and hence decreasing the relative light coming from the important objects, straight and far ahead.

:hmm: imagine sitting in the cinema. You're watching the screen while someone turns on the stage lights to the left and right of the screen. Your perception of the screen is that it gets darker / loses contrast. The same effect is what I perceive when using the fogs at speed, unnecessary light makes the necessary light darker in comparison.
LOL you should get the German award. I understand what you are talking about and I do see the large difference in the distance coverage I was just never distracted by the fogs at the same time Brooklyn is very well lit up at night so lights are mainly for fun.

I've never understood this line of thinking. Why does having more lights on make you a wanker? They can't even dazzle other drivers, since they're aimed further down than lowbeam headlights.

1. It's illegal, 2. They are usually only used to 'look cool', which is a fairly wanky thing to do, 3. A person who drives with front fogs on almost always drives like a cock in more than one other way, again often to look cool.

At slow speeds (ie, in fog) the close-range illumination is what I want, obviously.
This also. The cinema analogy is the best way to describe it. Unnecessarily illuminating the road directly in front of you only distracts attention from the part where you should be looking.

I love how you two bicker like old women :p

/is said purely in jest, honest. :)

Those two need to get a room and sort out all of their problems (whatever they may be). They give me a headache.

Behold the second half of a near perfect Kraut Flyby, with added Dick Move Dive! Only thing missing were the rear fogs. Knew I wouldn't have to wait long.

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

Not bad for shooting completely blind on instinct alone.

Edit: Uploaded higher rez versions. Typical German marque driver, though.

If you look at the last shot, you might notice the E34 driver who would later do the exact same thing to the pickup truck.

Last edited:
LOL you should get the German award. I understand what you are talking about and I do see the large difference in the distance coverage I was just never distracted by the fogs at the same time Brooklyn is very well lit up at night so lights are mainly for fun.

Almost the entire extra-urban road network, Autobahn or not, is unlit. My point about "at speed" does not really apply to city driving :tease:

Last edited:
Almost the entire extra-urban road network, Autobahn or not, is unlit. My point about "at speed" does not really apply to city driving :tease:

We have highways in the city.... What do you mean by speed though. I mean usually at speed here is like 110-120kph, I mean if you are going 170+ it might be somewhat different :)

I mean if you are going 170+ it might be somewhat different :)

The "my foglights do not reach anywhere meaningful"-effect starts for me from 70+km/h. After all, in foggy conditions you're not supposed to go faster anyway, hence it makes sense for fog lights to not reach further. All they would do then is light up the fog, blinding you even more.