Valve Steam Deck Portable Gaming PC

When did you reserve your's?

The night of the day they started taking reservation. I tried earlier that day, but couldn't complete payment (of the $5). I tried again that night after work and it went through.

Just noticed my expected order slipped to Q3. Hopefully it will be here by my birthday.

It has slipped again. Now I am after Q3, October 2022. So it won't be here for my birthday...

If the whispers of a better version come to fruition, I may just opt to go that way.

Sucks to hear that. I just checked my reservation, it still says Q2 but added a (April-June) line to it. Hopefully I'll get it in April rather than June.

Yep, I got mine yesterday. But with all the new AMD Ryzen 6800U handhelds being announced, I'm thinking about selling the Deck and wait for basically 1 more gen newer APU. So I haven't took it out of the case to play with it yet. I know the Deck will be better supported since it's made by Valve, so that's what I'm also thinking about just keeping it.

Originally these would probably all be over $1k, but now Aya Neo 2 is $800 and Ayn Loki Max is $700, it's getting close to the Steam Deck's price range. I think this one looks the best, but no price yet.

I wouldn't open the Steam Deck and void the warranty. I decided to just keep my Steam Deck so I opened it and logged into to Steam to let it update. After that I was going to install some games on it, but before I could even do that the SD turned off and now I can't turn it back on. I submitted a support ticket to Valve but they only gave me the boilerplate plug and unplug and try a different charger reply. I told them I tried all that, and no reply since then. From my search it seems like Steam Deck dying is kind of common for the amount of devices shipped so far. I wouldn't recommend getting a Steam Deck for now, maybe wait for a few more batches or their first revision.

I don't plan on just opening it up and changing things off the bat. Once the thumbsticks start showing some drift, they will get swapped out.

Good news though, I got moved up! I am now 3fd quarter.

I wouldn't open the Steam Deck and void the warranty. I decided to just keep my Steam Deck so I opened it and logged into to Steam to let it update. After that I was going to install some games on it, but before I could even do that the SD turned off and now I can't turn it back on. I submitted a support ticket to Valve but they only gave me the boilerplate plug and unplug and try a different charger reply. I told them I tried all that, and no reply since then. From my search it seems like Steam Deck dying is kind of common for the amount of devices shipped so far. I wouldn't recommend getting a Steam Deck for now, maybe wait for a few more batches or their first revision.

Any further contact from Steam?

By the way, how long has all of this taken so far?

Yes, I got an RMA# from Valve and a prepaid shipping label, I shipped the Steam Deck. Currently waiting it to get to Valve. It took total of 2 days to get the RMA#, which is not too bad. I'll update when I get the replacement or repaired Steam Deck back.

I don't really have a problem if they don't send a box, since I still had the original box. I'm expecting it to take 2-3 weeks anyways, so if I get it back in 2 weeks like him I would be happy.

So I got the replacement Steam Deck. Everything works this time. I played a bit of Tales of Arise on it, it's pretty nice. I also tried to play Fall Guys (bought it a long time ago before it went F2P EGS exclusive), but it didn't work, it stuck on the EasyAntiCheat splash screen.

Edit: SteamOS (Linux) is so unintuitive for anything but gaming. If I keep the Steam Deck purely as a gaming console, I'll probably keep SteamOS on it. But I think if I ever decide to use it as a dual purpose PC/Console, I'll have to install Windows on it. Hopefully by that time someone would've figured out how to dual boot.

Last edited:
I was playing a bit of Stray on it, it can handle Med-High mix of settings. It still looks pretty good.

I also got Fall Guys wiring. Turns out it needs a specific version of GE Proton7 (version 15).

I got my confirmation email. Woot!

After fighting with the AMD drivers and Windows I finally got Windows to install on the SD card. It runs pretty nicely, although the built-in joysticks and buttons still have some weird "sticking" issues when I use them in games (like if I hold down RB to run the character will remain running if I let go of the joystick while holding down RB), so it's not completely perfect yet. But it's much better than trying to get things to work on Steam OS. I couldn't even connect to my WiFi hotspot because Steam OS's WiFi doesn't allow proxy (I guess to prevent people from activating out of region games using proxies). I really hope the devs will figure out how to make the built-in controls work perfectly, if they do, I'll probably wipe the main SSD and go Windows only.