Vancouver - Chinese New Year Parade 2005 (NSF56K)

zenon

I was at the Chinese New Year parade in Vancouver yesterday, so I thought I'd share my pictures with everyone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Wow - that's sooo colourful. You've really captured the spirit of the event there - I love em. Great job zenon :)

looks like it was a very hard condition for shooting pics...

it came out pretty well.

But shit, there's more Azn's in Vancouver than Vancouverites... wtf

Great work! #4 is scary though...

Renesis said:
looks like it was a very hard condition for shooting pics...

it came out pretty well.
Ya, it was incredibly sunny. Either the brightness was practically washing everything out or the shadows were making it too dark to get a good shot. I'm glad they turned out though - I was pretty worried none of them were even going to be salvageable with Photoshop.

Renesis said:
Caucasians are a minority in Vancouver and a lot of the surrounding cities, but I actually really like it. Cultural diversity is great for a city in my opinion.

Whenever I go out for dinner the choice isn't between burger places and steak places like in some of the American cities I've been to. :p The choices in Vancouver are practically endless.

Pretty similar in the city I'm from, Asian's are pretty much in the majority over there. Doesn't bother me all that much, but it has given Bradford a seriously bad reputation. Especially after the very infamous Bradford Riots.

Currently Listening To: Winter (Studio Out-Take) - The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys/Rarities 1977-1979 (2004)

Renesis said:

WTF...I've been finding examples of anti-Chinese racism all this week in Vancouver and now I even find it here?!

Cultural Diversity in cities is what makes towns interesting... thats what I loved about living in Hong Kong compared to here... in HK... I get to meet people from all over the world and learn stuff about them :D.

btw... great pics zenon... they prob. celebrate chinese new year more in Vancouver than malaysia :lol:

CanadianLoonie said:
Renesis said:

WTF...I've been finding examples of anti-Chinese racism all this week in Vancouver and now I even find it here?!
I always get puzzled when people react that way to immigrants or what seem like minorities in Canada. I have a really hard time even figuring out how people could think it is a negative thing, but I will agree with you that it is a problem in Vancouver.

There were first page articles in the newspapers here a while ago with "shocking" statistics on the percentage of non-caucasians in Vancouver and its surrounding areas. I reacted by saying "um, yeah... and what is surprising or wrong with that?". Ignorant people will spout off bullshit about how "they're stealing our jobs" but that is absolutely ridiculous. A lot of the caucasians in Vancouver are only first or second generation Canadians (I'm a first generation), so for the most part they are being brutally hypocritical.

since theres a thread about chinese new year pictures... I'll post some pics of my Chinese New Year and a short Video Clip of lighting Fire-crackers... we do it 3 times over chinese new year... 1 on the first day, 1 on the 8th day and the final one on the 15th day :D

cimg02110gu.jpg

cimg02157rz.jpg

cimg02178dv.jpg

cimg02935fw.jpg

lighting up fire crackers

Awesome. They look like they have quite a punch.

If you go to any big North American city there is bound to be a big population of foreign people. Its the same in Vancouver, LA, New York, Toronto etc. Multiculturalism certainly adds flair and excitement to a city, especially when it comes to dining. There is only so much White Spot you can take, and after that enough is enough :lol: . If new immigrants are law abiding citizens I don't see any problems. My parents immigrated here too.

Renesis should take a trip to see the rest of Canada :lol: .

CanadianLoonie said:
Renesis said:

I'm not anti asian or anti chinese, nor racist, but I hate how it's becoming to the point where we are now a minority in our own fucking country. :x

Renesis said:
CanadianLoonie said:
Renesis said:

I'm not anti asian or anti chinese, nor racist, but I hate how it's becoming to the point where we are now a minority in our own fucking country. :x
And why exactly is that a problem? What would it matter if caucasians were a minority?

Renesis said:

Well...doesn't Quebec have the lowest birthrate in the country?

They look like they have quite a punch.

these things are massively loud... I was standing at least 30m away and I still had to cover my ears :lol:
I'll be going to a friends house tonight with the same fire cracker thingy and hopefully I'll get another vid of it :D

Maybe Renesis is expressing his frustration at the ongoing anglicization of Quebec? By us do u mean the French, or Caucasians? Caucasians are still very much a majority in Canada.

Renesis said:

How do you think the natives feel, bossman? Appreciate what makes this country the greatest place on earth to live.

Great pics, Vancouver is a beautiful city. I envy you guys and your great weather.