Vancouver Olympics Games thread

Well when you have someone like Ole Einar Bj?rndalen it's almost like cheating:lol:. I think Norway will take the gold in two or these three (10k, 12.5k, or 15k) I'm not too sure about the 20k in which they might not even medal. As for the women's side look for Germany to dominate. As for cross country skiing, I don't really see one country dominate. Yeah Norway might haul away the most medals, but it will be far from dominating.

'Petter Northug Jr.' is an up-and-coming guy who has been doing very well during the last few years. He came 2nd in Tour of Ski recently and has done insane amounts of prep for the Games. Watch his space.

Norway might also surprise with ski jumping, possibly even a distance or two in skating with H?vard B?kko.

Last edited:
^Nah, Finland won't stand a chance this year.. Neither will Sweden I'm afraid...

You might be right. But we do seem to play better when nobody expects anything.

Speaking of speed skating, Finland might have a suprise change too with Pekka Koskela and Mika Poutala.

Last edited:
Awww shit!

Lindsey Vonn took a deep breath, and her words trickled forth slowly, as she began to discuss the badly bruised and swollen right shin she fears could sideline her at an Olympics many predicted would become her personal showcase.

This would be absolutely gut wrenching for her and a bummer for us US Olympic team fans.

Awww shit!

This would be absolutely gut wrenching for her and a bummer for us US Olympic team fans.

Downhill training is today, she's going to ski and she's on the start list (15th)for the super combined tommorow. She's saying she feels better...I'm sure her techs are working hard on that right boot to spread out the pressure on her shin.
Weather could be a problem, yesterday's men's downhill training was cancelled halfway thru due to fog. It's rainy and windy here (three hours south) and they're getting snow there, I think.

Hey, and for our British viewers, watch for Chemmy Alcott- she's been consistenly in the top 30 in World Cup speed events- which is actually quite good in ski racing. I like the way she skis, and for you dudes, she's easy on the eyes as well. Hopefully she got the money to go, I had heard that she might not have the funding to compete.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, NBC has decided to tape delay for the west. Another stupid decision from the peaCOCK.

I am so annoyed with the peaCOCK! GRRR! Originally plan was to go, we're only 4 hours away (well, with the new road I would think) but were told that we would have to watch the ski racing from the finish. If you actually want to see the race, it's much better on TV, but wanted to actually hear and see the racers go by at race speeds. Rumor has it that spectators will be allowed on the hill for some events, slalom I think, but it's too late now.

So, switched cable providers to get CBC, which generally has better Olympic coverage than US networks. CBC got outbid by a Canadian cable company for coverage, not available at all in US. Ok, so we get an NBC channel called Universal Sports that shows world cup ski racing, and we were thinking they would show the skiing events in full. NOT. They're showing wc reruns.

Now we're stuck with the stupid "let's show only the Americans with the cutesy human interest story taking up competition coverage" crap AND the tape delay. :shakefist:

Watch it on the internet then. :dunno:

And FWIW, CTV got the rights to the 2010 olympics even before the 2008 olympics and started their ad campaign of "lol we have the 2010 olympic coverage, EAT THAT CBC!" immediately after Beijing ended.

Tape delay? What? Why?

I shall now proceed to taunt you with our public broadcasters full-live commitment, two main channels, one HD channel and six olympic channels. :p

Last edited:
Fearless predictions: The US men sweep the snowboard half pipe and the most successful group from one country will be US speedskaters.

Canada will destroy all in long track - especially our women, who tend to win multiple medals every time - and China and South Korea will likely dominate short again this year.

I'll give you snowboard though.

I don't have to worry about snowboarding, given the weather forecast for Vancouver. :p

Watch it on the internet then. :dunno:

And FWIW, CTV got the rights to the 2010 olympics even before the 2008 olympics and started their ad campaign of "lol we have the 2010 olympic coverage, EAT THAT CBC!" immediately after Beijing ended.

We're looking into that...and you're right we probably could have done a little research to figure out that CBC was not going to broadcast the games- we do get some Canadian news here but not obviously not enough.

Tape delay? What? Why?

I shall now proceed to taunt you with our public broadcasters full-live commitment, two main channels, one HD channel and six olympic channels. :p

Ahh, civilization. It must be great.

I can't wait. Lots of HD stations for Olympics here :)

I just realized, if CTV is the Canadian broadcaster then there's no commentary from Ron MacLean...
shittay

We have 4 HD channels dedicated to the Olympics here. Also i predict Australia will win the speed skating events in epic fashion this year, just like last time.

I predict Australia will also win Men's Freestyle Moguls with Dale Begg-Smith (aka major douchebag). The kid's a born and raised BC native who moved to Aussie because he disagreed with his coach, now he won't even give interviews to reporters in his home town.

People are sooo pumped here in Vancouver. Less than 24 hours till the start. I'm going to be downtown tomorrow since i work there. I seriously hope it stops raining though lol

God bless the BBC, they're airing it all mostly in the early hours of the morning but it's going to be repeated throughout the day on their Digital Channels. Gives me the chance to be able to watch some great events without having to stay up until the early hours of the morning. I don't mind the one off occasion like the Superbowl but a 3 week event like the Olympics is way too extreme for me.

Who said that Norway wasn't best at Winter Olympics? ;)

Top 10 countries counting all Winter Olympics ever:

Code:
Country      Total Medals   Gold-Silver-Bronze
1. Norway          280     (98-98-94)
2. Soviet Russia   217     (87-63-67)
3. USA             216     (78-80-58)
4. Austria         185     (51-64-70)
5. Germany         179     (68-65-46)
6. Finland         151     (42-57-52)
7. Canada          119     (38-38-43)
8. Sweden          117     (43-30-44)
9. Switzerland     117     (39-37-43)
10.East Germany    110     (39-36-35)

Last edited:
People are sooo pumped here in Vancouver. Less than 24 hours till the start. I'm going to be downtown tomorrow since i work there. I seriously hope it stops raining though lol

Yeah, good luck to your city for the games and :welcome: to FG?s O-T Sport Forum.

Vancouver is famous for its rain, isn?t it? I have only been there once on business, nice city, btw.

:)

(Interesting avi, wont ask what Mario is doing there. :unsure:)

Last edited:
Haha thank you!

Yeah Vancouver is known for the rain. We call our city "Raincouver" most of the time. Hasn't been that bad this winter though. I wished for more snow, but we sort of panic in this city when it snows =[

Bah. I got up at 5 am to go see Arnold Schwarzenegger carry the torch. Complete gongshow downtown. I've never seen so many people on these streets. My friend has pictures so perhaps I'll post them later on when i get home, but I think that won't be till pretty late. I couldn't see too much of Arnold. Big tall guy was in front of me. Damn me for being 5'2.

(Shhh, Mario's giving her a backrub!)