Vancouver Olympics Games thread

Canada needs to stop fucking choking. Geez, if it wasn't for Bilodeau yesterday, we'd be waiting for a long time for a gold.

Hopefully that reverse-jinxes Wotherspoon, but I doubt it, the dude's the epitome of choke-job.

Women?s Ice Hockey
Canada vs. Switzerland
Yay, Swiss score first goal against Canada, but are still losing 5 -1 at the end on P2. :lol:

Sour grapes from here in Oz:

Australia ski officials say Dale Begg-Smith should have been awarded gold
By Josh Massoud
February 16, 2010
Eight years after snatching Dale Begg-Smith from Canada, Australian ski officials have accused judges of robbing them of a Winter Olympics gold medal.

In an afternoon of sweeping irony, home-nation hero Alexandra Bilodeau, 22, of Montreal, knocked the defending champion from top spot to leave Vancouver-born Begg-Smith with the hollow consolation of winning Australia's first silver medal at a Winter Games.

But there was only scant silver-lining for Australian team officials, who were adamant that Begg-Smith's run should have made him the only freestyle skier in history to win back-to-back Olympic titles.

Begg-Smith fell just 0.17 points shy of achieving the feat before a bellowing bear-pit of former compatriots, whose roar nearly triggered an avalanche down Cypress Mountain when Bilodeau's winning score was announced.

Skiing 17th in the 20-man final, Begg-Smith recorded a near faultless run to vault into first place. But judges thought Bilodeau's effort two runs later was slightly superior, the crowd favourite edging ahead 26.75 to 26.58 out of a perfect score of 30 to seal his country's first gold medal at an Olympics in Canada.

The Australians didn't agree. After reviewing the overall scoresheet, Australia's performance director Geoff Lipshut felt the judges had been overly generous toward Bilodeau's turns on the bumps, which peaked at 4.8 and 4.9 points.

"My own opinion is that probably Alex is not capable of a 4.8 or a 4.9 (on his turns) ...?because 5 is a perfect score," Lipshut said.

Steve Desovich, Begg-Smith's long-time coach and head of Australia's moguls team, also felt his charge had nailed a winning run but restrained himself from criticising the judges.

"Dale had the highest turn points and the highest air (tricks) points," Desovich said.

"I don't know if it's up to me to comment right now because we're all in a pretty emotional state. Dale skied unbelievable and I don't think you can fault anything he did. I thought Dale won, but that's just a gut feel."

Asked about the influence of the 8296-strong crowd of raucous Canadians, Desovich replied: "For sure ... it helps. Imagine if it was in Australia - an equivalent situation. Maybe that would tip it a little bit the other way.

"But I'm too much of a fan of the sport to be critical right now."

Begg-Smith's teammate Ramone Cooper was also adamant that the judges awarded gold to the wrong man.

"I thought, definitely, (Dale) had the best turns and I don't think they have really been reflected that on the turn score," said Cooper.

"He could have won today and some people would say he should have won."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26727155-5002332,00.html

The Swiss are killing it today.

Edit: Meh, I should have used my 2000th post for something more creative.

Why I don't like snowboarders...
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Nate-Holland-thinks-your-pants-are-too-tight?urn=oly,219715

Nate Holland thinks your pants are too tight

Nate Holland is a man of conviction and dedication to his cause. He is seeking to rid the world of what he considers the most heinous offense in the history of snowboarding. We're talking, of course, about tight pants.

Holland is a member of the United States snowboard cross team, and will therefore be wearing the now legendary "flannel and jeans" uniform. But when he looks around, he sees a problem. "I think the problem we have now is the emo look," he told the New York Times, "and people trying to use that as an excuse for wearing tight clothing." Sure, bro.

The problem, according to Holland, isn't that the trend toward tighter clothing could lend a competitive advantage, it's that trim pants betray the anti-establishment culture that birthed snowboard cross. Holland is concerned for "the integrity of the sport," saying, "I'm a snowboarder through and through, and boardercross is a freestyle snowboarder's race. I think it should stay that way." Right, because it wouldn't be snowboarding if people wore tight pants.

Holland's biggest issue is with the Canadian team, who are wearing slightly slimmer pants than the United States. He's told reporters to ask the Canadians why their pants are so tight. To the Canadian Press, Team Canada snowboarder Drew Neilson gladly answered that "if Nate wants to talk about that, well then at least we've got him thinking about something else other than racing, right?" Good strategy.

Slimmer pants just make more sense. Sure, there's less drag, but there's also less of a chance of getting caught on another person. And you don't have to worry about all that cumbersome extra fabric getting in the way.

Look, Nate: Team USA Snowboarding sponsors include Nike, Microsoft, and Visa. That's about as "establishment" as you can get. So relax about "the integrity of the sport."

Not to mention you'll be competing in a branded pair of fake distressed jeans.

Chill out, Nate Holland.

Funny thought while watching the medal ceremony for the mens moguls...with the medals going to Canada, Australia, and the US it makes me wonder how Great Britain feels....it's like when you break up with a girl only to find out later that she is doing really well is looking hotter than ever.:lol:

I loved hearing the crowd singing "O Canada" at the medal ceremony; they did a far better job than whatsherface Friday evening.

Yay, curling starts tomorrow.

(yes, I realise men's hockey starts tomorrow, I'd rather watch curling tbh. Hockey on TV is boring, much better in person)

WOW....what is going on with the organizing committee at these games? Horrible opening ceremonies with tons of botches, then the zambonis completely mess up the ice at the men's 500m event delaying it for over an hour, and now they mess up the Chinese national anthem during the medal ceremony for the pair's figure skating competition. Someone is gonna be sacked for sure.

THEY'RE NOT ZAMOBONIS THEY'RE OLYMPIAS OMG. :p (If you believe Olympia they're far superior to Zamboni and people automatically saying zamoboni are ignorant. YOU'RE IGNORANT! BAWWW)

What about the chinese anthem? And what was up with giving out the medals for the pairs figure skating right on the spot? What happened to all the medals being awarded during the nightly medal ceremonies?

The person playing the chinese anthem must've hit the play button twice, because you could hear two instances of the anthem at the same time......except they were off-sync and it made it sound like one speaker was a second behind of the other speaker, so it sounded horrible.

Last edited:
I read in the newspaper that womens hockey might be booted from the olympics..

To be honest, I don't think we (Norway) will do it that well in this Olympic. I think it will be a repeat of the 2006 Turin disappointment. We have experienced a string of very impressive results prior to Turin; 1992 Arbertville, 1994 Lillehammer, 1998 Nagano and 2002 Salt Lake City. Scoring 9, 10, 10, and 13 golds. I just don't think we have athletes that are (relative to others) as good as those we had 10-15 years ago.

Although I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do better than we did in Turin... :)

..with the medals going to Canada, Australia, and the US it makes me wonder how Great Britain feels..

Yes, because the UK has a long history of winter sports founded on our many large mountain ranges and ski resorts.

In reality the Winter Olympics really isn't that big a thing in the UK.

Men's super combined postponed AGAIN today.

Jesus I'm getting antsy. Alpine skiing is one of my favourite parts of the Olympics and it seems as if it is just getting pushed back til it never happens.

*shakes head*

Yes, because the UK has a long history of winter sports founded on our many large mountain ranges and ski resorts.

In reality the Winter Olympics really isn't that big a thing in the UK.

they don't get as much coverage on tv as the summer games do (although we do still get more coverage compared to the yanks with NBC.) The only time they actually get any coverage is if someone british gets a medal. Only need to look at Shelley Rudman at the last event. She was very much a unknown beforehand and mostly before that it was Curling. Since i also have a massive crush on Chemmy Alcott, our British Alpine Skier, it gives me just as much reason to watch the events.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWK__6IjGaM[/youtube]

Mostly our only experience with snow is when the weather dumps it on our laps and everyone starts pulling out their hair because they can't do anything. If there was a Winter Olympic event for trying to get to work in the snow or just overall bitching about the snow then we'd have a dead set Gold to win.

Last edited:
WOW....what is going on with the organizing committee at these games? Horrible opening ceremonies with tons of botches, then the zambonis completely mess up the ice at the men's 500m event delaying it for over an hour, and now they mess up the Chinese national anthem during the medal ceremony for the pair's figure skating competition. Someone is gonna be sacked for sure.

Add the ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuubbish on screen graphics and production of the Biathlon to that list.

Real radio traffic between the bus and camera operators
"Haha we have no idea who's good at this sport"
"Film that one"
"Haha look at him go"
"I wonder who that is"
"What are they doing now"

The tiny and hard to see for normal sight people graphics do not even show how much someone is ahead or behind, you have to calculate that yourself. In 1 second before they take the graphics away.

Okay, I definitely see why you Americans hate the NBC broadcasts of the Olympics. I asked my dad to PVR some of the events for me, but for some reason he chose to record the NBC broadcast. "No biggy" I thought, should be the same as the CTV one right? The commentators themselves were okay, but OMG the commercials. "Would you like some Olympics with your commercials sir?" Jesus christ.