Vancouver Olympics Games thread

ski jump qualification is on right now, btw

just been on the BBC news that there was emergency resuscitation given to a Luge Competitor. Georgia's Nodar Kumaritashvili after he suffered life-threatening injuries in a crash.

Last edited:
Bad start to the games :(

Sucks. It's a really dangerous sport that takes giant balls, this stuff happens from time to time. And they had to slow down the course when they built it too because it was initially too fast.

I woke up to the news of the accident on the radio earlier this morning, but I was half asleep and missed their name and what country they were from. Anyway, R.I.P. Nodar Kumaritashvili. :cry:

Ballsiest sportspeople on earth imho... them and free-divers. (I'm sure there's other sports I've missed there that could be considered, but they're the two that came to mind immediately).

EDIT: I most definately won't be watching the video. :shudders:

Last edited:
I watched it when they reported it as an injury this morning, this is just bad :(

RIP Nodar.

I've seen the video.. It's pretty intense. His arms were still at his side when he hit the pole. He didn't even have time to react..

RIP Nodar..

They really need to make a plexiglass wall there, those pillars are awfully close to the track.

They really need to make a plexiglass wall there, those pillars are awfully close to the track.

I was shocked when I saw the picture (and I'm NOT looking for the video). Considering all the layers of fencing they put up around the speed skiing events, I can't believe they designed the luge track this way. How could they not anticipate that someone might hit pillars that close to the track if something went wrong?? Jeeez. I feel terrible for his family and friends. Just heard that the Georgian team will continue in the Games, and they'll decide if the luge event will continue tommorow.

They need something, that's for sure. I heard they're considering building up the ice wall before the events begin, hopefully something is done about that corner.

Watching the opening ceremony on tv. Love the patronising symbolism.

Damn, that's a horrifying crash...:(

Just saw Gretz carry the torch and light the outdoor flame. That was awesome.

Also saw the crash earlier. My heart goes out to his family and team. I hope they win a medal for him.

Oh come on you people, there is no way that anyone could have possibly anticipated that a slider would fly out of the track. There was no reason make the walls super tall there because it was a completely freak accident. He hit the top wall and came crashing down into the inside wall and somehow flew out of the track, that's never happened before, how the hell could anyone have anticipated that it could happen? Hindsight is a fucking asshole that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Nope, Americans still won't watch curling. Trust me. :D

I'm a Yank, and I watch curling! :nod: Even when the Olympics aren't on. And I'd watch more of it if the Ceeb didn't lose all the good stuff (Juniors, Scotties, Brier, Canada Cup, Worlds) a couple years or so ago to TSN.

And FWIW, CTV got the rights to the 2010 olympics even before the 2008 olympics and started their ad campaign of "lol we have the 2010 olympic coverage, EAT THAT CBC!" immediately after Beijing ended.

Yeah, I'se missing the Ceeb (though I was well aware they don't have the rights anymore) something fierce tonight. Bobby C doesn't know when to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET US ENJOY THE SHOW, YOU DAFT SOD! :mad: And I don't get CTV anymore (though I used to) which made it ten times worse, and I couldn't be bothered to look for any sites streaming from it or Auntie Beeb.

I just realized, if CTV is the Canadian broadcaster then there's no commentary from Ron MacLean...
shittay

I know. I feel ya. (Not to mention no sweaters, either!)

On a more sombre note, RIP, Nodar. :(