Vancouver Olympics Games thread

Just watched Kearney and Bahrke receive their medals...boy I sure do love hearing "The Star-Spangled Banner" during the Olympics.

For some reason the only time I ever get eye moisture from hearing "The Star-Spangled Banner" is during the Olympics. I think a strong reason for that is because it's instrumental and we're saved from having some pop tart mangle the lyrics.

I actually like hearing some of the various national anthems during the Games; at one point during the Turin games I found myself singing "O Canada."*

*Blame my parochial school upbringing; one year for our "Fine Arts Night" the focus was on patriotic music. The all-school finale was "O Canada" followed by a lower-key take "The Star Spangled Banner."

That nordic combined was totally awesome. Sad th?t Finns couldn't do any better, especially when it came to final sprint. But still, very epic battle at the end.

For some reason the only time I ever get eye moisture from hearing "The Star-Spangled Banner" is during the Olympics. I think a strong reason for that is because it's instrumental and we're saved from having some pop tart mangle the lyrics.

Oh, you mean like how they drove out to the woods, murdred, burned, and buried in a shallow grave O Canada during the opening ceremony? That was not my national anthem. The music is as, if not more, important than the words, the lyrics aren't even really the same in french and english, but when you go fuckiing around with the music like that? Jesus christ monkey balls. If I ever wind up in a room with the people who arranged that insult to my country... oh boy.

I hate moguls. Always hated skiing them. Watching these guys (late reruns) just blows my socks off. Too throw some of the tricks in and these guys are just so damn impressive.

watched the men's moguls last night (or this morning rather) and really seriously enjoyed it. Really happy with Canada's first home gold, they really deserved that one. I'm always blown away by the tricks they pull in that event. If i attempted it, the event would be filled with one long bleep of a censored swear word followed by the biggest crash.
Well done Canada, much deserved.

I have to say Kearney had a better run than Heil but Kearney needs to work on her "guest manners"- a quote:

"I know Canada hasn't won a gold medal on their home turf, but I have a feeling they'll do it these games," Kearney said. "But I'm pleased that I could stop that for now." (everett herald)

That was rude, in my opinion. I was embarassed to read it. :mad:

Can someone please explain why this is even remotely rude? I really can not see any hint of rudeness here at all.

Last edited:
Number 1: Congrats to Canada! I was pulling for you guys to get your home-gold, and you did a great job of it. Hopefully, there will be more in your future :)

Number 2: Sang along with the Star Spangled Banner when Hannah received her gold. Even though I was alone in my apartment.

Number 3: Really digging the biathlon, oddly enough. Though, we decided to spice it up in #gear and give all the athletes a paintball pistol with six shots. You cannot shoot another if you're target shooting, you cannot shoot someone else who is target shooting, but beyond that, other competitors are fair game.

Number 4: I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the German go cross-eyed, Clockwerk. Love the avatar!

Number 5: USA! USA! USA! USA! (also, props to Canada for cheering for American athletes when there aren't any Canadians in the running. That's a wicked classy thing to do. I'm adopting it in the inverse... Oh Canada... your home and native land!)

*whistle* uhh yeah... Canadians always cheer for Americans *innocent whistle* There's tons of American spectators though, so... of course, in individual events everyone gets plenty of cheers.

Not that Gallardo. I remember hearing from the 2006 Olympics how he had tons of money due to his dotcom company and drives around in a Gallardo compared to all the other mogul jumpers who struggle for sponsorships and stuff.

Weee gold!

Silver and bronze!

Bring on mens cross country.

EDIT: Go Northug!

Last edited:
Oh, you mean like how they drove out to the woods, murdred, burned, and buried in a shallow grave O Canada during the opening ceremony? That was not my national anthem. The music is as, if not more, important than the words, the lyrics aren't even really the same in french and english, but when you go fuckiing around with the music like that? Jesus christ monkey balls. If I ever wind up in a room with the people who arranged that insult to my country... oh boy.

I caught the tail end of that and was thinking, "that's the Canadian national anthem?" Oh, fuck that was awful.

actually i thought South Park have done better versions of the canadian national anthem than the one sung at the opening ceremony.

Ahpadt, what is the deal with Norwegian cross country skiers these days?

QFT!

I've heard O Canada probably 10,000 times in my life (mostly due to hockey). That was THE WORST singing of that ever. The singer and composer for that edition of the song should be stripped of their Canadian citizenship for that!

Ahpadt, what is the deal with Norwegian cross country skiers these days?

:dunno:

Norway has never won the 10km female or 15km male distances before, so it wasn't really THAT much of a surprise, but the pressure to do well was damn hard. Just gotta wait and see with the next races.

^I'm not surprised with the lack of medals, I'm more shocked with the positioning...top Norwegian male in the 15km was Tord Asle Gjerdalen in 28th.