Vauxhall to pull out of BTCC

MadCow809

Forum Addict
The BTCC?s only remaining manufacturer, Vauxhall, has announced its intention to leave the series at the end of 2009.

Vauxhall has said that its decision to leave the championship was 'influenced by the absence of other manufacturer-backed teams and financial prudence in the current global economic downturn,' adding that it would, 'keep an option open for a possible return to the sport in future years.'

The unusually early announcement has been made to allow Vauxhall?s BTCC partner, Triple Eight Racing, as much time as possible to organise its plans for next year?s series.

link

So that will leave us with only privateers? :(

Last edited:
Yeah...that sucks...although it might mean another title for Plato :D

I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like a final nail in the coffin of the BTCC. I'm wrong of course. :D

I don't see it as such a big deal. This year there's only Vauxhall as a factory team and the field is filled with privateers, but it's still a healthy field with plenty of potential frontrunners. Assuming that Vauxhall drops the factory banner and Triple Eight can still find sponsorship to run two or three Vectras (or any other cars for that matter) next year it might even be an improvement as it would put the whole field on the same line.