Veyron killer?

Let's wait and see if those figures turn out to be accurate. Even if it does reach over 400km/h, which I doubt, it's probably gonna break down all the time. Just like the Koenigsegg.

Why do you think it took years for the mighty Volkswagen group to finish the Veyron? Why does it have 10 radiators, why is it quite heavy and so on?

Then the Americans come along, take a big V8, strap two turbos on it and there you go, 1,000hp? It's not that easy. Of course you can achieve 1,000hp, but for how long?

I hope you're right... If the CCr can't rule (still waiting for its run on Ehra Leissen though....) it has to be a german car!

Buba

It would be killer if the Saleen did compare to the Veyron.

There are a few companies that modify Vipers with twin turbos that are around 1000 horsepower.

It's not that hard to produce a car that makes 1000hp. It's doing it so it is reliable and driveable.

There are quite a few AWD and RWD cars in japan running around on the highways making 1000+WHP, but you probably wouldn't want to drive it to the grocery store.

oliB said:
Let's wait and see if those figures turn out to be accurate. Even if it does reach over 400km/h, which I doubt, it's probably gonna break down all the time. Just like the Koenigsegg.

Why do you think it took years for the mighty Volkswagen group to finish the Veyron? Why does it have 10 radiators, why is it quite heavy and so on?

Then the Americans come along, take a big V8, strap two turbos on it and there you go, 1,000hp? It's not that easy. Of course you can achieve 1,000hp, but for how long?
There are 2000 HP Vipers you know. They have been making 1000+ HP Vipers for years and they still run fine. ;)

There's a reason why only one company has produced a road car that has 1000hp straight from the factory. A fully stock road car and a heavily modified car are completely different things.

1000hp cars are almost commonplace in Japan. Those can barely be called driveable (or reliable) for street use. You'll be lucky if it lasts a whole weekend without something breaking apart. Most times, these cars are detuned a bit to make lower power for higher reliability.

Even the Veyron is useless at its top speed. It's not so much of the machine's limit, but the limit of the human driver.

What a coincidence that this pops up right after I make a comment about the Saleen having greater potential than the Veyron. :shifty:

I saw a 750 HP Saleen yesterday, and it was amazing (and the owner said it was actually quite a pleasure to drive.). A 1000HP version would be just awesome.

ive seen a saleen or two in the past, they are way way way bigger than i thought they would be. they are seriously huge.
and about this car, i dont think it will go past 250mph. i remember back when the normal S7 came out, saleen was claiming top speeds in excess of 240mph. and that just didnt happen.

oliB said:

It's not like Saleen just decided to make this twin turbo S7 after Koenigsegg and Bugatti had their 1000 hp run. I heard about this version of the S7 quite a while back before the Koenigsegg had it's run for fame. So, I think Saleen has probably been working out that reliability issue. Nice to hear that it's actually been going through...

Well, it's gonna be somewhat reliable but put it trough VW's durability tests (e.g. winter testing at the arctic circle) and it will brake down very soon.

those cars with alot of BHP get their trannys and engines rebuilt every other day.. and i think when they reach those claimed top speeds.. they'll be like my minivan doing 180km/h not so comfortable am sure..

This Saleen will never be in the same league as the Veyron even though it might match it on the bhp figures. It doesn't represent the same beautiful kind of madness and esthetique found in the Veyron. Nor has it soul, or looks to match it.

The Veyron is, im afraid, probably not going to be matched ever. Just like Clarkson said and I've said before him, let's all take a bow for someone having the balls and passion to create something like the Veyron. Those are the people who make us all love cars so much in the first place...

hanasand said:
This Saleen will never be in the same league as the Veyron even though it might match it on the bhp figures. It doesn't represent the same beautiful kind of madness and esthetique found in the Veyron. Nor has it soul, or looks to match it.

The Veyron is, im afraid, probably not going to be matched ever. Just like Clarkson said and I've said before him, let's all take a bow for someone having the balls and passion to create something like the Veyron. Those are the people who make us all love cars so much in the first place...

I strongly disagree, I feel that cars don't really come more soul-less than the Veyron. Cars such as the Saleen were designed and built by people who love cars and wanted to create a world-beating supercar that combined an advanced aerodynamic body with a relatively simple engine, the same formula used in the classic DeTomaso Pantera. The Veyron was created by the VW marketing department so they could sell more Jettas. Nothing more. The head guy said "I want a car that hs 1001 horsepower, 16 or 18 cylinders, 4 turbochargers, does 400KPH, is AWD, and it's going to look like this. All the engineers got to do was sort out the details involved with pushing the rather elephantine Veyron to its intended top speed. And few things are less soulless than a car born in a marketing meeting, instead of an artists's pad or an engineer's drafting table. Cars such as the S7 are formed after function, its beautiful shape truly crafted by the very wind it cuts through - it is a true aerodynamic marvel, and the Veyron is a lumbering brute by comparison. The Saleen is also built to be profitable - they had to reach their goals by doing things economically and smartly, instead of throwing money at things until they work, such as VW did.

The Veyron never matched, ever? Folly. True, unadulterated folly. Human nature itself will not allow that to happen. Humanity through the years has shown that we constantly strive to top our previous achievments, and the Veyron is no exception to this rule. It will be matched, and it will be surpassed. And I almost garuntee it will be within our lifetime.

i think if there'll be anything that could really challenge the veyron it'll bo Koenigsegg. the Saleen will be just like a dragster: fast in a straight line, but relatively bad in the corners. and it'll need a lot of maintanence.
by the way, does anybody know how reliable are koenigseggs?

osabros said:
i think if there'll be anything that could really challenge the veyron it'll bo Koenigsegg. the Saleen will be just like a dragster: fast in a straight line, but relatively bad in the corners. and it'll need a lot of maintanence.

If the Saleen handled poorly, would they run it in Le Mans? I think not. The whole point of the S7's aerodynamis is to create incredible downforce, which is a key component of excellent cornering ability.

I mean, you're from Israel, so I can understand that you really don't know anything about the S7, since you don't have many of them over there. It's an amazing-handling car. Or so I hear, never having driven one. ;)

osabros said:
Pretty unreliable. The CC8S already had reliability issues, e.g. it broke down when TG tested it. With even more power it got worse, when FG tested the CCR it broke down after a couple of laps as well.