Video bitrate?

Doat1

Hello everyone, i was wondering if it would be too much trouble to also add the video and audio bitrates of the Top Gear episodes since I and maybe others convert the show to watch on their consoles. Since Top Gear is now in HD i watch it on plasma TV through my xbox 360 and since the files are .MKV i have to convert them to .WMV but i have to calculate the bitrate and to avoid a mistake it would be helpful to find out the bitrate from this site. Thank you and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

If you reencode it into wmv and exactly match the bitrate of the input... you still lose quality. As much is lost when you use 10kbps more or less.

Since Top Gear is now in HD i watch it on plasma TV through my xbox 360 and since the files are .MKV i have to convert them to .WMV...

I watch it with my PS3 and don?t need to convert anything and I think neither do you. http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html Use this Muxer to pack the Video and the Audio into a .ts file and it maybe works, it works well on my PS3.

i tried watching TS files on my xbox and does not work only reads AVI or WMV. When i convert i do not lose that much quality, it is not noticeable to me at least. I have my program set to convert for maximum quality and works fine. Thank you viper i will check out that program.

If the only problem is the mkv container then you should convert it to the avi container without reencoding it. Takes less than a minute, loses no quality whatsoever, neither noticeable nor non-noticeable (wee 5 Ns...).

i tried watching TS files on my xbox and does not work only reads AVI or WMV. When i convert i do not lose that much quality, it is not noticeable to me at least. I have my program set to convert for maximum quality and works fine. Thank you viper i will check out that program.

Wikipedia says, that the Xbox can play x264. AC3 should work. Seems like ts isn?t supported.
The Xbox 360 supports videos [...] H.264 and MPEG-4 media.

Try it with the avi container, like narf already mentioned.
http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

Last edited:
Well the strange thing with .AVI files is that some of them work on the xbox. I had a video that was .AVI and it worked but when i tried to watch another i got an error code.

That's because AVI is only a container. It can contain a whole lot of different codecs.