Video: BMW teases 1 Series M Coupe

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
HELL YES. :woot::woot::woot:

From the video at around 0:27, it seems as though the quad pipes are confirmed. :cool:

I was gonna put this in Video Offers, but it's still kinda spy news, so I put it here.

Source: Autoblog

We've waited a long time for this. And not just for the official name. BMW has released the first teaser video of its upcoming 1 Series M Coupe and "excited" doesn't begin to describe how we're feeling.

The video after the jump is devoid of hard details, but it confirms what we've seen in countless spy shots and the rumors that have made the rounds for nearly a year.

Early reports indicate that the turbocharged inline-six in the standard 135i will be upgraded to around 350 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. The M Coupe's newfound grunt will be channeled through a six-speed dual-clutch gearbox and to the rear wheels via a torque-vectoring M rear differential, resulting in a 0-60 time of around 4.3 to 4.5 seconds.

Naturally, firmer springs, dampers and bushings are part of the package, along with lightweight 18-inch wheels and a full body kit consisting of a new fascia, flared wheel arches, larger side sills, rear diffuser and a small spoiler. Being an M-fettled product, expect a quad-tipped exhaust to reside out back and ? judging by previous spy shots and the official video ? BMW's trademark fender vents.

BMW kindly requests you to register at M-Power.com for more details and to sign up for an exclusive test drive. The rub: it's only open to "German and Austrian" drivers. Here's hoping that unjust regionalism doesn't extend to sales when the 1 Series M Coupe hit dealers in the second quarter of 2011.

bmw-m1-1.jpg

m1-quad-2.jpg

Last edited:
It looks fan freaking tastic. I just hope they keep focusing on this sorta thing instead of stuff like the X6 or 5 GT.

FICK JA!
:woot:

Dear BMW,

While we would surely appreciate a 1 Series M Model, this is the M1 we really want:

bmw-m1-hommage1.jpg

Love, Gearheads everywhere

now put that engine in the hatch!

Good that it's not called the M1.. This just means that there's still room for a M1 supercar in the lineup :)

"The M Coupe's newfound grunt will be channeled through a six-speed dual-clutch gearbox"
Why isn't the 6-speed manual mentioned here? Just wondering, because that thing at 0:55 looks awfully lot like a gearstick to me :p

Last edited:
^you can see that, all i see is a flash and can't make anything out of it :?

So, this should be as fast/faster than an M3? I love the coupe because it has some of the E30's spirit, and this is more like the original M3, at least to me. Small, lightweight and powerful BMW. What more could you want?

Definitely won't be faster than an M3, or else it'd be financially pointless for BMW to produce.

Corvette rule BMW style?

Seeing as a chip will get the 135i to 350whp, aftermarket suspension will solve any handling issues, and I don't care much for the "omg four pipes!" nonsense, the one and only reason why this is better than the standard car is a real diff. :hmm:

Which I am sure you could fit one as good as the "M version" for less money.
Unless they go all bonkers CSL-style and replace lots of things, buying a 135 and tuning it yourself is probably better value for money.

I don't think there are official specs for the engine but I probably won't like it. BMW Motorsport has always made great engines but if this is just an N54/N55 with a larger intercooler, different exhaust and software it's kinda boring. A high tuned NA engine would be much more exciting and not something that you can get from a 135i with very little mods.

Definitely won't be faster than an M3, or else it'd be financially pointless for BMW to produce.
The M3 is faster on a track than an M5. It probably won't be faster with 350 hp but it'll be quite close.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what's the MSRP? Around or upwards of 40k for a car that size is just ridiculous.