Video converting program?

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
Hi, i'm a cheapass and im looking for a free video converting program. Somethng like SUPER. Super is good, but it cant take recorded tv and downsize it because theres almost no space in the C drive.

Also, looking for one that can get chop out ads

Handbrake. http://handbrake.fr/

Hard Drives are so cheap now though I mean you can get a 1tb drive for about $85 there is not much of excuse any more to upgrade.

Yeah I got plenty of space, but last night i recorded 2 hours of tv and it was 12gb and I would rather downsize so i can record more :)

Thanks for the tips :)

I record a lot of TV with Windows Media Center and then compress it to XviD with:
XviD4PSP

Works great and it's free :D

WinAVI Video Converter 9.0
WinAVI MP4 Converter 3.1

Megui.

Flawless if you want to encode x264 or xvid\dvix, free too.

Handbrake is good aswel. Vdub isn't made for encoding, but it has alot of uses.

Xvid4PSP is dead slow
VirtualDub doesnt work
avidemux wouldve been good if it didnt make it all out of sync.
Handbrake is awesome and fast

Now..whats a program that can get rid of ads?

I don't know of any program that'll delete the ads automatically. Other ppl might though.

You can delete the ads manually. Which is the reason I suggested using AviDemux, since you could do some editing on the timeline bar near the bottom. And according to the wiki, you should be able to avoid a/v sync issues:

Audio/Video Sync

If you are editing a file with variable bitrate audio, run Audio->Build VBR Time Map before you do any editing. Otherwise your audio will be out of sync.

Also read up the rest of the page on cutting your video file.

meh, dont really care, handbrake is really fast compared to the others. Is half an hour long to process something an hour long?

Largely depends on the CODEC of both the source and the destination videos.

Handbrake and AviDemux get their CODECS from FFMPEG, the real difference is in the interface. That said, Handbrake is much easier to use, so go with what you're comfortable with.